Passive Speaker Designer - Lite Beta 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Passive Speaker Designer - Lite Beta 2

There's an updated version of the PSD-Lite program in the link below. It now includes a .NET version of Jeff Bagby's WBCD box modeling program, along with a splicing tool. It uses the same Benson model that Jeff used for WBCD, which is more accurate than other box modeling programs. It's got a totally re-written interface for the crossover design module, and I made the schematic options the same as what Jeff used in PCD, so it should be a bit more familiar to PCD users. It also imports CSP files so you can test it with existing PCD designs. And as with the previous version, you can model the bass boost circuit in plate amps and design Linkwitz Transform circuits.

It's got a lot of other changes--more Help files and ability to change colors as well as customize the charts. As in the previous Beta version, most of the values can be entered by scrolling with the mousewheel, so data entry can be very fast. With the box modeling tool, the program should be more fun to use.

There is a Response editor for modifying the FRD data that lets you view and change individual values and extract phase using an FFT-based algorithm. There are a couple of additional features still not implemented in the Response editor, but those will eventually get finished.

As before, it saves and loads the program state using an XML schema that is described in one of the help files. So it is a completely "open" format that can be used to exchange data with other loudspeaker design tools.

This program is a spin-off of a larger program (PSD), and it hasn't been tested much, so I apologize if anyone wastes time tripping over bugs and gets confused by things that aren't logically organized.

I'd appreciate any feedback that will help make this program more useful.

Click the image to open in full size.

PSD-Lite
Old 22nd February 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, such a big effort merits at least a comment
I've downloaded and installed the program, it runs w/o any issues on WIN7.
It looks promising, in my humble opinion , much better than using those darned Excell sheets...
Besides, there are a whole lot of real measured driver data(FRD/ZMD), accesible to load from within the program, and from external sources...
Must be interesting to add a conversion tool in order to turn *.txt saved data from Clio, Arta, etc , into the format the program digest..
Very nice and useful effort, thank You a lot!
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll give it a run through. Sound easy is not exactlly easy!
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah darn, it had to install .net. I just took that off a few weeks ago.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So far, reads my .zma from WooferTester and LIMP just fine. One H#!! of a lot easier than importing into Sound Easy! I need to go off and build some SPL files. I did not happen to have them on my desktop. I like the file preview for the imported file.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

An idea for a future option is to work in metric or inch. All my driver data is metric.
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So you know my perspective, I use Arta for HF measurements, LIMP justlearning if it is preferable to WTII, SoundEasy, WinISL, Edge, Pluse with Zelscope to find acoustic offsets, Xdir, WooferTester and TrueRTA for LF measurements as my "basic" kit along with several Excell sheets that have my default textbook crossovers: Zobel, BSC, and notch filters, and one that has piles of handy conversions. I find SoundEasy to be so complex, it is hard to get to the good stuff, but it does give SPL and phase, where ARTA is only SPL. So how to get an FRD with phase to import I am not sure right now without fighting my way through SE.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
An idea for a future option is to work in metric or inch. All my driver data is metric.
If you click on the units button--it should cycle through from English to metric.

Dang--I forgot that this version of the code doesn't have the boxes to enter the driver T-S data . I'll post another version in a day or two that has the "full" "Select Drivers" module. I had added the box modeler from the PSD code (the "full" version) but forgot that I had previously simplified the data entry module for the "Lite" version. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your comments and please keep them coming.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Super. Might mention, my favorite XML tool is Notepad++. Being a computer scientist that is neither a coder nor "modern" it makes sense of XML for an idiot like me.

I was wondering about that TS box. Anyone have a hint on an SPL + Phase MLS tool? Don't want to do an example with an expensive licensed one. LIMP will do the impedance + phase just fine.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I guess it is HOLM Impulse. WOW they now have a new users guide that gives you a hint how to use it, not just the very good theory section. That may change things for some folks.

Last edited by tvrgeek; 23rd February 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!