Passive Speaker Designer - Lite Beta 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is the imported files. Do you know what would be so sensitive?

Whipped up another version of the same thing. I am using WooferTester for my impedance as I have not been kind enough to sent HOLM a donation. ( don't have an European money account)

This one used HOLM to do 1/3 octave smoothing and some light filtering. As this was done in my office with a too small box, ignore the lower end. It is actually good to 100. I may or may not build this one, as it is the Vifa D27, and my experience s it's distortion is a bit high that far down.

What do people think of the curve fitting?

Attachments

• z2.jpeg
    z2.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 222
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It is the imported files. Do you know what would be so sensitive?

How big are the files? The first version I posted only allowed 8K samples, and I increased that to 65K. But if there are more samples (rows) in the file than 65K, the data won't get imported properly. I know one of the measurement programs created some huge files if the resolution wasn't set right, but I can't remember which one it was.

I thought 65K was adequate because internally I'm just using 500 samples.

I'd like to look at the file to figure out why it messed up the phase. I tried to make the file import routine very robust. It rejects header data, rejects spurious junk at the end of the line, accepts just about any delimiter, etc. I've tested it against a lot of FRD files that others have posted and I know it will read files that some people couldn't read with PCD. So I'm curious as to why it didn't like that file and I'd like to get the problem fixed.

I'm not at home right now but when I get back late Monday I'll send you my email address so I can look at it.

Sounds like a plan. I am sure it is the FSD files from HOLM. I am using WT-II for the Z and they are small. It is way too tempting to use higher resolution than the task needs. Some guidelines are what I'll put in my quick starts.

The HOLM soothing works fine, so maybe that is something you don't need to worry about. Impedance is smooth anyway.

I have begun playing with PSD_Lite and it looks very promising. I have been using a combination of Winisd, PCD, Holme and WT3 to design speakers and that has served me well-but I am always interesting finding better ways.

One question I do have-just from my initial forays into the PSD_Lite, is can I create my own driver database for the T/S parameters? I can't seem to find a way to do that and find that I have to reenter the parameters every time I start up the tool. I see that the T/S parameters do come up if I save the project, but they don't seem to be available for a new project. (The Browse button does nothing when I click it).

Is this how it is supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

Terry

Joined 2004
Paid Member
One question I do have-just from my initial forays into the PSD_Lite, is can I create my own driver database for the T/S parameters?

Yes and no. PSD-Lite is PSD without databases and some other analysis/design tools. PSD uses the Microsoft Compact Edition Database and it has most of PE's woofers, Passive Radiators, Inductors, Capacitors and Power Resistors. It will also include the data in the Thielesmall.com database, or at least the entries that are complete and not obsolete. The component database is interesting because you can right-click on a part in the schematic and browse from components that have a similar value. It will create a Bill of Materials directly from these parts and create a shopping basket. There are also plans to include a plate amp database with Rumble/Boost circuit information. Maintaining databases takes time and effort, so this feature will not be part of the free PSD-Lite.

So the databases will be a purchased upgrade. I don't have any information yet on cost other than that it won't be too expensive.

--Neil

1) I think I understand your response to mean that there is no ability to work with a database in any way whatsoever with PSD_Lite. So every time I want to start a new project with the same driver, I will need to reenter the T/S parameters.
2) What is not clear to me, however, is whether I will be able to add speakers of my own selection into the databases in PSD_Heavy. So, were I to decide I want to whip up a box for an obsolete woofer in my personal collection (I seem to accumulate them) or if I decide I want to modify a driver to change some of its parameters (I have done this more than once) or if I otherwise stumble across an unusual driver that I want to use, then would I be able to add these these 'one-offs' to the databases?

As nice as your application is (and it is very nice!) if I can't add modified or old speakers into the database, there will be just too many times that I won't be able to use it.

Thanks again.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
1) I think I understand your response to mean that there is no ability to work with a database in any way whatsoever with PSD_Lite. So every time I want to start a new project with the same driver, I will need to reenter the T/S parameters.

Well, right now that is my plan. One of the reasons is that the extra database support for .NET made the installation a lot longer and people didn't like seeing that. So I stripped it out for the free version. If you need that capability and like the free version of the tool, then just buy the full version. As I said, it won't be expensiveware. I've put a lot of time into these programs, and need to draw a line as to what is free and what I need to charge for. The "save" function is commonly used as a discriminator between free and full versions, so this approach isn't unusual (ARTA is like that).

2) What is not clear to me, however, is whether I will be able to add speakers of my own selection into the databases in PSD_Heavy.

Of course, the database is fully read/write and everything is stored in ".sdf" files. There are lots of tools that people have written to read and manipulate the .sdf format, so it's a good way to store the data. Using a real database instead of a unique file format has some nice benefits--it's more reliable, you can sort on any column, and you can share the files and use those 3rd party tools. Also, I would like to be able to have a collaborative site where people can contribute to the database and then download the latest version of the database. But real databases and maintenance and collaboration sites takes time and money, so I think I need to keep the databases in just the full version and I think it's fair to expect people to contribute to cover these extra costs.

Actually, you bring up an interesting point that I hadn't considered--and that is providing a database capability without any pre-populated content. That way, you could save what you entered but you won't have access to all of the other data that I've collected or that others have collected. I need to think about that.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you for being so responsive. I understand the considerable work this must have taken and I hope you don't think that I am complaining or being argumentative. Just wanted to make sure I understood how this is supposed to work.

No problem. Here's some additional background so you know how I expect the program to evolve:

Originally this program started out as an active speaker design tool, and that was always going to be something that you would have to buy, along with hardware. But on a whim I added the passive Crossover Module, with the idea that I could use it to help sell parts. The parts places like Parts Express have a referral program where you can get a "cut" on parts sold through your site, and that seemed like a good enough justification for adding a passive crossover capability.

But all of this work was taking too long, and I wanted to get some help making sure the core modules are accurate, bug-free and user-friendly. So I made PSD-Lite available to get some feedback and to make sure these features are reliable. There are already good free programs for designing crossovers, cabinets and baffles, so I didn't think that making these modules free was a big deal. All I'm looking for in compensation for the free version is some help in making this program better, more reliable and a proven resource.

What's unique about PSD-Lite is that it integrates these tools and provides a good foundation for adding new features. I'm hoping people will get excited by PSD-Lite and then be willing to pay for an upgrade to the "Pro" version, and right now I'm drawing the line at databases. As I develop new features, this line might move. This is just one guy writing code from home, so I don't have to charge a lot for the full version, but I need something to help me survive the hot glances from my wife while I'm working on this stuff. :eek:

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good work Neil. Kudos for putting the effort in.

Thanks.

You can see from the list below that I'd like to figure out how to add new modules to support "3rd party" .NET code. Specialized modeling tools such as transmission line design or line arrays would be cool. I've got the top-level architecture defined in Enterprise Architect, but it will take a lot more work to detail those interfaces and to make it easier for other developers to use the framework. Ah...maybe someday.;)

Feature_matrix.GIF

Thanks.

You can see from the list below that I'd like to figure out how to add new modules to support "3rd party" .NET code.
Interesting idea. I do all my coding in the .NET framework but haven't had any experience in developing to accept add-ons. Would be good though!

Good luck with it. Let me know if you need any help/collaboration on something. If you haven't seen it, this is my software: Transmission Line

Hi Neil,

I just downloaded your software, and I have to say it looks quite cool. I haven't played around too much yet, as I'm still waiting for my calibrated mic to arrive, so I don't have any frd files to work with - but if everything works as it seems, I'd expect it to be a quite potent free alternative to soundeasy.

I do have a question, though, you mention the ASD for active crossovers. Is this available for free somewhere, or going to be available?

Thanks for your work!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I do have a question, though, you mention the ASD for active crossovers. Is this available for free somewhere, or going to be available?

Thanks for your work!

I hope it works well for you. If you have suggestions for improving the software, please post here or PM me.

ASD will not be free. It interacts with DSP hardware in real-time, and it requires a micro on the DSP side to read the USB commands and control the DSP. For example, I have a plug-in board for the miniDSP--and it will allow you to change the filter definition "on the fly" as you tweak the design. Also, I have some "Smart Amps" that are getting designed.

I need to fold in the changes I made for PSD-Lite into ASD and should have something available soon to sell. I haven't decided on pricing or how to sell it, but the software will be in the "inexpensiveware" category.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.