Transmission Line Modelling Software - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2013, 11:03 AM   #421
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
Most of the time this feature works flawlessly but sometimes it doesn't. It's almost but not completely random when it fails. Sometimes you can simply "undo" and try again and it will work, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will fail repeatedly no matter how many times I try to "undo" and try again. Sometimes closing the program, opening it again, and trying again will make it work, but sometimes not.

There is one situation I've identified where I can get it to fail about 90 percent of the time. I open the program with the default reverse taper tl loaded. In the geometry display window, I split the single segment into two segments. I use the orange line to change the segment lengths, making one end longer but the other shorter while maintaining the same total length. Then I press CTRL and adjust the csa at the point that the two segments meet. Approximately 9 times out of 10, only the active segment's csa will change, but 10 percent of the time it will adjust both segments like it's supposed to.
You seem to be confusing to features here.

If two adjoining elements have the same CSA then you can hold CTRL and resize the 'shared' area and it will resize both areas.

The other feature which you quoted is where you resize the length of an element whilst holding CTRL. This will change the start area of the element you are re-sizing to maintain the same taper.

These are two different functions. Is it the Area resize one that doesn't work? I've never had an issue with it and can't recreate your error.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:04 AM   #422
diyAudio Member

But then I looked a bit harder and found that I have another option (fn key and +) and that does work, so strike that request off the list.

Thank you sir.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:07 AM   #423
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post

If two adjoining elements have the same CSA then you can hold CTRL and resize the 'shared' area and it will resize both areas.

The other feature which you quoted is where you resize the length of an element whilst holding CTRL. This will change the start area of the element you are re-sizing to maintain the same taper.

These are two different functions. Is it the Area resize one that doesn't work? I've never had an issue with it and can't recreate your error.
I realize they are two separate features. The reason I mentioned them both is because if I do NOT resize the segment lengths first, then the csa resize works. BUT if I first resize the segment lengths, after that the csa resize will not work. It's really weird.

If you can't recreate this error, I can make a video screen capture while I perform these actions to show you.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:21 AM   #424
diyAudio Member

I made a video of me performing the actions and showing the failure. It's a screen capture so there's no way to prove that I was pressing CTRL, but I can assure you I was. (I had to make 2 videos, since it worked fine the first time, but failed the second.)

What's your email address? I can't attach a video here.

Last edited by just a guy; 1st March 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:45 AM   #425
diyAudio Member

peter@leonardaudio.co.uk
Old 1st March 2013, 11:53 AM   #426
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post
Oh, I see what you mean now. I used the wrong quote, I quoted you talking about the length resize when I meant to quote you talking about the csa resize. It is indeed the csa resize that is the issue. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm sending the video now.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:06 PM   #427
diyAudio Member

Got the video, thanks

That's very strange.. I'll see if I can find a reason for it...
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:02 PM   #428
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
This program is no longer a simple transmission line simulator, it's become a very robust general quarter wave simulator. Some of it's unique features are quite brilliant and the app has the potential to become legendary.
I concur. I don't think this is overstatement.

There are a few glitches that need to be worked out to keep the program from falling into the "nice, but buggy" category, but with that done, I could see it's recommendations here and elsewhere becoming as ubitquitous as "Try WinISD."

You've done a great thing, Peter.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:43 AM   #429
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to elvischan917 Send a message via MSN to elvischan917
Thanks for your share! But I would be more interested in the mathematics. Where did you find your model?
Old 5th March 2013, 01:55 PM   #430
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvischan917 View Post
Thanks for your share! But I would be more interested in the mathematics. Where did you find your model?
p = f(ct - x) + g(ct + x)

Hide this!Advertise here!