HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency & Impulse Response

HolmImpulse crashes during auto-save on exit

I'm experiencing a hard crash when I try to exit HolmImpulse. On exit, the status bar reads "Closing HOLMImpulse (Autosaving) - Please wait..." and the program uses up most of the available CPU power. It sits in this state until I hit the on/off switch. A force quit via Task Manager does not work(!)

This only happens after I've taken a measurement. I can start the program and exit it immediately just fine. I can run a manual File->Save without incident. But if I take a measurement and then try to exit the program hangs. I'm saving to a local drive and have HolmImpulse installed in the default location (no changes made during install).

Setup:
IBM ThinkPad T42 (Pentium M 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM)
Saffire PRO 24 sound card connected via a SIIG Firewire 400 PCMCIA card
Windoze XP SP3 running all the latest updates.
HolmImpulse 1.4.2.0

Does anybody have any idea of what's going on here?

Thanks,

~Tom

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Tom,

I was having problems with holm randomly crashing on exit as well, the worst of which trashed the autobackup completely (losing all measurements). I'm now making a point of saving the measurements to a separate zip file before exiting so I have a backup.

Try backing up, and then deleting the auto-save file. I can't remember exactly where it is on xp but under documents and settings somewhere.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ok had to finish that post quickly as had to be somewhere... I've had a look and on XP the autosave file is stored under: (assuming you have your installation on C: drive)

c:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Holm Acoustics\HolmImpulse\MeasAutosaved.zip

When I checked mine I had a MeasAutosaved.zip.old file from when I was having the problem.. it is probably safest to rename it rather than delete it just in case you haven't backed up what you think you have ;)

Tony.

I also get crashes with Holmimpulse (under Windows 7) and it also sometimes wipes out my data. I can restart Holmimpulse but it won't make any new measurements unless I reboot my machine. I've tended to blame it on flakey drivers for my EMU-0202 but this is the only application that does this. While I wish it were more stable, Holmimpulse is good enough that I will keep using it.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi makingmoney, I don't believe that you need a zip program installed to be able to backup to zip files with holm. You can re-load the zip backups any time using "load measurements" (note this will wipe out any current measurements unless you use the load measurements append option).

If you haven't got a method for opening zips then I'd highly recommend the free-ware 7Zip available here 7-Zip

Not sure about the phase question...

Tony.

ok had to finish that post quickly as had to be somewhere... I've had a look and on XP the autosave file is stored under: (assuming you have your installation on C: drive)

c:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Holm Acoustics\HolmImpulse\MeasAutosaved.zip

When I checked mine I had a MeasAutosaved.zip.old file from when I was having the problem..

I have the MeasAutosaved.zip. No .zip.old. I tried deleting the MeasAutosaved.zip. Same issue. HolmImpulse would crash on exit. I think the AutoSave works fine, but something after the AutoSave (maybe when it turns off the audio stream) breaks. The last entry in the log file is something about turning off the audio stream.

I'll play a little bit with it tonight. I'll try some different audio settings. My patience is running out. I have very little patience for broken tools. I'm also using FuzzMeasure on my Mac and wanted to compare the measurements performed by the two programs as the impulse response I get with FuzzMeasure doesn't seem to have much resolution (few sample points). I haven't played with all the options/settings, though.

~Tom

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ok I wonder whether something in the settings file has been corrupted... You could try renaming the HolmImpulseOptions.xml file and start up again. It should change everything back to default settings. When I had a problem on windows 7 with crashing I deleted everything in the directory.. it was slightly different though in that I couldn't start holm without it crashing...

I suspect that it doesn't cope well with certain unexpected events from the sound drivers though...

If you can't get it sorted (and even if you do) you might want to take a look at REW REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page a new version just came out and I must say the play I had with it last night, it looks very impressive! I haven't used it to do any measurements, but imported some impulse responses I did in holm and tried the various graphs available. The sonograms look quite interesting.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes good news, and yet another thing to add to the troubleshooting list! And one extra one (for anyone else thinking of trying different drivers) I would say is to do a reboot after changing the driver type in Holm. Ie change it quit and reboot before trying any measurements. I found that after changing (without a reboot) I tended to get very poor results (which could of course be card specific!)

Tony.

I have and issue with losing the sync when measuring Phase/Timing of various drivers. I turn the audio stream on and lock time zero, but it often loses the time lock.

1) Is this a common issue - does it happen to you?
2) Is there a solution?

Background:
It stays locked for a while, but then jumps to a new timing lock. It becomes more and more stable with time, but eventually it will jump to a new time lock no matter how long the stream is active. I thought this may be a problem with my particular Firewire audio interface, but I now have a new firewire interface with the same issue, actually it is worse. The old interface only shifted relatively small distances and less frequently than the new interface. It is making it very tricky, i.e. time consuming, to align the driver phase.

I have:
> Tried Different settings in HOLM for the "API" (ASIO/Direct Sound/MME) and the IO devices, but it is difficult to tell if there is any improvement since the events are so random.
> Tried to setup my laptop (windows Vista OS) for audio by giving priority for background
services and turning off the internal audio card, per ASIO recommendations.
> Tried different setting of the ASIO buffer sizes and latency for the interface (a Focuserite Saffire Pro 14)

I would appreciate any information, thoughts or suggestions you may have.

I have and issue with losing the sync when measuring Phase/Timing of various drivers. I turn the audio stream on and lock time zero, but it often loses the time lock.

1) Is this a common issue - does it happen to you?
2) Is there a solution?
The few times I tried the timing lock, I had the same issue. This with a Delta 410 PCI card. I'm not aware of a solution.

Dave

Thanks all for the feedback.
The lock feature seems it work reliably for some and not for others. It helps to know that.

I went trough all the main setting again today and finally found settings that work at least as well as I had with my original audio interface. I still loose the lock occasionally, but it is much more manageable now. One change I made was to place a 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor on my laptop wall wart. The noise dropped down to the same level as running on battery and this may have helped. I also switched to the ASIO4ALL device settings and this helped the total latency and stability. I'm not sure which contributed more, but I am running okay again now.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Hey everyone. Big time noob alert!!! :eek:

I've never measured before. But thought I'd try this HolmImpulse as it's been recommended around the net. I downloaded and it installed and it fired up amazingly quickly and easily (64 bit version). I ran 3 sweeps within minutes of going to the webpage.

I'm using a Panasonic (not modified) WM61A that I haven't put into a housing or anything, but I did silicon the back side of it to insulate the connections.

My questions:

1. I'm using digital out (HDMI) to my receiver. So do I have to measure my sound card? Seems to me I wouldn't need to. And I know my receiver is flat already.

2. I measured my woofer in the box (Peerless 830656). The response looked sort of right, particularly the break up modes were all present where expected. But everything looked a little too smooth and perfect. I expected diffraction and my mic/speaker placement sucked so I expected reflection issues. Also, the baffle step was in excess of 6db compared to online infinite baffle measurements (zaphaudio.com). Any ideas on that. The droop was exactly as expected starting at ~800hz and smooth. But about 8db and I was near a wall :headbash:

3. My 3 measurements were at different distances (5cm, 50cm, 100cm roughly) but got different response shapes. Generally all the same, but the furthest was the smoothest breakup, but most low range droop. The more noticeable baffle step makes sense to me, but the softer break up seems strange. It was so smooth compared to the close measurement, that my crossover design would be influenced. What is more true to what I will hear? This question isn't really related to HolmImpulse, sorry.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT - I should get some images. I'll try to later today. Sorry.

Last edited:
Bug report: Exception on exit

Every time I try to close the program, I get an error:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Path not found "C:\Users\@\AppData\Roaming\HOLM Acoustics\HOLMImpulse\HOLMImpulseOptions.xml".
в System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
в System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
в System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
в System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
в System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
в System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
в HOLM.HOLMImpulse.Conf.Options.SaveData(String filename)
в HOLM.HOLMImpulse.Conf.Options.AutoSave()
в HOLM.HOLMImpulse.MainCtrl.Action_MainFormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
в System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)

Windows7 64 (russian localized), HolmImpulse 1.4.2.0 (latest version)