HOLMImpulse: Measuring Frequency & Impulse Response

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Is there a Linux version yet?

I have Ubuntu 10.04 and it works ok, but went to the trouble of working out a dual boot with XP pro (last windows I have at home) specifically to run HolmImpulse. Short story is XP not recognising sound device and Wine not able to load Holmimpulse.
Jim

No sound from HolmImpulse

Since selling my Deqx processor I've acquired myself XTZ room analyzer which has an okay functionality doing basic measurements. I just need the functionality that HolmImpulse offers to go with it! Only problem is that when I do the initial measurements, no sound comes through my speakers! When I switch back to the XTZ-GUI, sound is fine.

HolmImpulse finds both XTZ microphone and sound card, so I'm a bit confused:confused:

Help me please!

-Thomas

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The XTC mic is USB, right? You've chosen it in the first tab and can see movement of the VU meter in Holm? You have to start the Stream for this to work.
How is your soundcard connected to you system? Can you get it to play anything (MP3, video sound) thru your system? Do you have the correct output channels chosen in Holm?

Which of tose is better in your opinion, I look for something which is tested in let's say "home condition" and good for DIY. There is many cheap cards which works, I do not want to save so much money, but also not to spent many..

Look for goog price-quality relationship..

The M-Audio MobilePre is more versatile. It also has the +48 VDC phantom power for condenser mics like the Behringer ECM8000.

I use this for my DIY measurements without fail. It is not cheap at about $150 USD, but works extremely well for me.

Last edited:
I have pamasaonic capsule M61, do you mean this card will ned preamp for this mic?
I want to use this car as external USB tool form dell comp.

The Transit will not work with that mic without an external preamp and power supply. As suggested, search for your mic on the web to get a circuit to power and amplify your mic.

If you are hesitant to build your own, then the M-Audio MobilePre and Behringer ECM8000 will be simpler for you. The only thing you need is a XLR mic cable and you are ready to go. Plug and play.

I would recommend getting a mic that is calibrated. The mic will come with an electronic file that Holm will use to compensate for the non-linear frequency response of the mic. It gives much more accurate results.

I have used this exact setup with Holm with great success.

I also you compensate file for capsule. Holm is quick and easy , in my opiniom very good software. One what is missing is impedance measurment module.

I use only capsule with calibration file with my previous Dell 620. Last weeks I changed to 6420 which has ony one minijack for headphones. That was the reason why I was looking for external card to have possibility to use external mic.
Yesterday I discovered that this is 4 pin jack 3,5mm for headphones+microphone ;-)
The card is IDT audio hd, should work with holm. I will prepare cable jack+four cinch and check results soon.
I will share information how it works.

calibration

Sir:

Please give specifics of calibration process. I want to eliminate soundcard response from the measurements. All I have learned is to interconnect the inputs and outputs from the soundcard and run a response curve. I have the curve--altho it is very difficult to set the gain low enough to satisfy the program---but what do I do with it? There doesn't seem to be any way to store it or inject it into memory so it always is used to correct the speaker response curves for the nonlinearity in the soundcard.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
On the Device and Signal tab, on the very right their is a tick box for DAC-ADC calibration. With your loopback cable connected, click on make and follow the prompts, when it is finished, make sure the tick box is ticked, and then do another normal measurement with the loopback cable. It should result in a very flat response with a flat phase plot as well.

Tony.

soundcard calibration

On the Device and Signal tab, on the very right their is a tick box for DAC-ADC calibration. With your loopback cable connected, click on make and follow the prompts, when it is finished, make sure the tick box is ticked, and then do another normal measurement with the loopback cable. It should result in a very flat response with a flat phase plot as well.

Tony.

Thanks, Wintermute, we gon' tryer!!

soundcard calibration

Tony.

Well, that didn't work. When I follow the prompts I get constant complaints that the level is too high and there is clipping and a request that I lower the volume. Under Sounds and Audio in Windows XP I have tried lowering both the Master volume and Microphone in Recording to essentially zero but unable to satisfy this requirement. Sometimes the dialog box will say the result is "accurate within 6 dB from XXHz to YYHz; Use this? and if I say "Yes" it keeps asking for another trial. And around and around with no end--I either get the volume too high or too low.

Which control is the correct one to "lower the volume" for calbration? I would like to loweer the input signal--the signal from the HOLMImpulse generator---but I can't find the control.