Single mosfet amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.
I don't know if this is the correct forum or not to post this, but here goes.

I'm more at ease with tubes, having built a few. So, this is my first excursion at SS amps, though includinga a tube.

I had this circuit in mind, using a battery tube that happily "sings" at 12V. Unfortunately, using it in a single-ended configuration, the estimated power output is a mere 3mW.
As such, i remembered using the tube as a voltage amplifier and a mosfet or similar as the current source. Of course, less than a watt is fine by me, it's more an exercise to learn.

Please, check if thie schematic is ok.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• tube_mosfet.gif
    tube_mosfet.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 2,516
If possible, you might include the mosfet inside a NFB loop to help compensate for the non-linearities from the mosfet. Hexfets(like some of the IRF types) are quite non-linear at lower currents, and the capacitances inside the mosfet(Cgd, Cgs) change with operating point but certainly not in a linear fashion. A driver for the Fet is another idea. I'm not so familiar with tubes, but driving the Fet at higher frequencies will be more like driving a capacitor, so if the tube isn't up to that challenge, a driver would effectivly reduce this capacitance that the tube stage sees. Keep in mind that you have to drive the gate voltage up, and then pull it down to turn off the device....like a totem pole configuration or something similar.

The tube voltage amplifier runs at aproximately 3mA, probably just enough to run the mosfet. Don't the capacitances change the low frequency response, not the high? Maybe a opamp buffer stage before the mosfet will do the trick is necessary.
I think i got the biasing wrong, right? The 4V are only enough to turn on the fet, from what i undestand; so i would have to bias it to 4V + 6Vrms to properly swing the input votage up and down..
Many thanks for your input and knowledge ;)

Take care

Generalisations...

A couple of things that are similar about a FET and a tube are:
1. The output current (Id) is related to the gate-source voltage.
2. There is virtually no dc current into the gate

Not so similar:
3. The output resistance (dVds/dId) id is much higher for a FET
4. The maximum useful output current and power dissipation is much higher
5. The parasitic capacitances, Cgs, Cdg, Cds are MUCH, MUCH higher in a FET (2 or three orders of magnitude) and are VERY non-linear.
6. FETs operate at much lower voltages, but characteristics start to go weird when Vds is low, meaning 5V or less.
7. The transconductance is probably higher for a FET at the Id you are likely to use but I'm not familiar with tubes.

If you are used to using tubes I would look into these characterisc differences very thoroughly. You can find this info on most datasheets.

I suspect the linearity and the capacitance differences will be the biggest shock. There is a tendency for people to think a FET is like some half-way device between a bipolar and a tube, but IMO this is far from the case and so just as much care is needed as if you were using a bipolar.

Godot bought a decent watch this time, with vaccum inside for less drag and better eficiency :D
Seriously, i want to learn a bit about sand amps, and thought that some measely mW or so of a mosfet operating in SE fasion would be better than an integrated PP all feedback amp putting out several W of power, or a dedicated buffer chip like the BUF634:clown: What's better, getting a plane from NY to LA, or take the road and know places? ;)
thanks for the help guys :)

Simpleton said:
The tube voltage amplifier runs at aproximately 3mA, probably just enough to run the mosfet. Don't the capacitances change the low frequency response, not the high? Maybe a opamp buffer stage before the mosfet will do the trick is necessary.

I was not refering to the frequency responce as I was the drive required. The capacitance between the gate and source-drain channel is what the driver must drive. It is easier to drive a fet at lower frequencies because that impeadence is higher. At higher freqs, the impeadence drops and it takes more current to drive the fet, so I guess it would effect the frequency responce as well. With all of the different non-linear variables, sometimes placing the device inside the NF loop will allow the error correction of the circuit to help with this...but can also cause instability. This is why hexfets are popular as switches where they are either on or off like in SMPS type circuits instead of linear applications. That is not to say they can't be used, but it requires more complexity. There does exist lateral Fets that are more linear but they typically cost more. If you research the construction of a hexfet, you will see why they have non-linear properties.:)

Thanks for cleaning this up NetList ;)

Here's a new version of the complete circuit. Sorry for being so small, but I made it using paint and didn't realise how small it was :p
So, I have the tube grid biased for a 1Vpp signal, and at 25V supply voltage, and with an anode load resistor of 20K, the gain is 14, putting out 10,5Vrms. It is capacitor coupled to the gate of the mosfet (is this really necessary?), which has it's source 12V above ground, with a bias current of 1 Ampere (i could use a LM317 for this job to, i guess). The source pin is capacitor coupled to the speaker.

Do i have this right? :)
Thank you!

Attachments

• tube_mosfet.gif
    tube_mosfet.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,859
Some tubes run pretty fine at low voltages, no problem there. Seems nobody gets the fact that simpleton has said he only wants a few watts, mW actually.
This setup will easily swing enuff for at least 2watts into 8ohms.
But: You must nor AC couple the MOSFET, it needs a DC voltage at the gate. This sets the bias of the MOSFET together with the CCS or resistance in its source. So lets say the tubes anode sits at approx 15volts, so will the gate of the MOSFET since you direct couple it. Then you will have about 4volt drop to the source pin, and about 11volts to play with. With a resistor, it will be a very simple, but likely decent sounding for a watt or so. Into an 8ohm load it will get rather unlinear as the voltage swings more and more, but mostly second harmonic, which will sound pleasing so no bigdeal. Using a LM317 might make it more linear, but give less available voltage swing. I d go for a simplest possible solution, a resistor is easily replaceble later.
Hey, this is a simple and cheap way to have fun, go for it. Btw you mention in one post the tube runs at 3mA, but then that you'll have a 20kohm anode reistor. Not possible with a b+ of only 25volts ya know.

Semperfi,

i draw the 20K plate loadline for this tube, so it's the same value of resistor i will choose, or should i get Ra =( 25V - Va idle)/ Iidle = 2K5?
you got me confused now.

I drew a loadline of 20K, with the mid point (Vgrid = -0,5V) Va=17V/Ia3,1mA
isn't the cathode resistor that sets the bias point? (160Ohm)

-------------------------
DC coupling the mosfet will get me the bias point at 17V, the same plate voltage of the tube, since it's taken at it's plate before the anode resistor, right?

Thanks for the info you gave ;)

You cannot use ideal load lines with a resistor load and such low supply voltages. The idle of 3mA gives you a anode resistor of 7V/3mA = 2260, so use 2200ohms. The cathode will have a resistor of 0.5V/3mA = 160ohms. (Rounded off to standard values)
This gives a gain of about -4 to -5. (About +12dB gain).
Bypassis Rk only gives a slight increase in gain, but limits the input range to about max 1voltpp.
Using a 2200ohm resistor gives a relatively low impedance to drive the MOSFET so this should be good. You dont need much gain in a small power amp like this, so I think you'll be pleased. With a resistor at the MOSFET source of 8ohms the IRF530 (or equivalent) will have an idle of a little over 1.6 amps. Perfect. Just remember the resistor disipates more than 25watts and must be seriously heatsinked, same for the MOSFET. Id rather chose a IRF150 because teh larger package can more easily transfer the heat to the heatsink.

Another point of using a resistor to bias the MOSFET rather than a CCS is that the tube will have a nonsymetrical voltageswing at the output that is more negative than positive.(second order harmonics). This because it turns itself on more easily than off and the output is inverted. The exact opposite will happen for teh MOSFET since the passive CCS the resistor is, will make the MOSFET go more on than off, but this time noninverted, so the two devices distortion will cancel a little bit. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.