High Excursion 8 Inch Woofer. Is Their Such A Beast?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to replace some foam rot 8 inch woofers with
high excursion 8 inch woofers.

The cabinets are;

19 inches tall
10.5 inches wide
7.5 inches deep

Power is not an issue, for I can feed them anywhere from
100 to 400 watts continuous per channel

Any suggestions and/or recomendations would be greatly
appreciated.

I've found a few...

There's the ApexJr Super 8 mentioned above...

There's the Adire AV8 mentioed above...

There's a Tang Band one that graphs really good for real cheap, of which, as mentioned above, can be a little skeptical.

Also, you could check out JL Audio 8W0, or 8W4 etc. I know they're good.

I believe the cheapest are probably the Tang Band and the ApexJr. Hard to judge how good they are without trying them.

Pete

Very cheap, and quite high excursion is the TB W8-740c, found at www.nuera-acoustic.ca.

Inexpensive, and they ship out of both the US and Canada, so shipping isn't bad at all.

Their listed 12mm xmax is right on the money, being measured by the (vc height - airgap height) /2 method. Very good power handling, despite their low rating in the datasheet. I've personally pushed 200W RMS (brownish noise) through one for an hour or so with no ill effects.

I'd like to see a little better suspension travel out of them to go with the 12mm one-way xmag, but it's about as good as can be expected within the confines of a small 8" diameter basket and a smallish diameter spider. I'd estimate it at about 16mm or so. At any rate, an excellent performer for its size.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
ThingyNess said:

Their listed 12mm xmax is right on the money, being measured by the (vc height - airgap height) /2 method. Very good power handling, despite their low rating in the datasheet. I've personally pushed 200W RMS (brownish noise) through one for an hour or so with no ill effects.

No mention of a symmetric magnetic field. That is usually done with either an extended pole piece or a shorting, (Faraday), ring.

Normally, I would think an 8 inch for $29 would not have a symmetric system-but then you would not think an 8 inch for $29 would have 12 mm Xmax with either. Tangband seems to have a lot of features you would not normally expect.

Thingyness, have you put these into a vented box, then run a frequency test to see how the woofer behaves near resonance? A woofer can perform fine in a closed box, but shear off half the waveform near resonance in a ported box.

I would strongly recommend a symmetrical field for anyone using a woofer in a vented box.

Omnifex-are these enclosures vented or sealed?

Attachments

• 830491.jpg
    830491.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 754
That's fine.

They will be used for frequencies 70 - 25Hz. I have another
set of speakers I can use for mains, and, these will be turned
into subs.

This is for my mom's video system, so, she perfers to keep
her original cabinets.

I figure I'll give her my old Soundcraftsmen 7502 lying in
the corner for the bass, and, use a Sansui AU X 77 for
the mains...............

Got an old DOD crossover that will fit in nicely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.