High Excursion 8 Inch Woofer. Is Their Such A Beast?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, and for what it's worth, the TB doesn't have a copper faraday in its motor structure, or any other fancy features, but it does have a hyperextended pole piece (extends above the top plate), and should have a relatively symmetrical BL vs. X curve.

It's tough to beat for the price.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
ThingyNess said:
Oh, and for what it's worth, the TB doesn't have a copper faraday in its motor structure, or any other fancy features, but it does have a hyperextended pole piece (extends above the top plate), and should have a relatively symmetrical BL vs. X curve.

It's tough to beat for the price.

Thingyness:

Thank you for that information. That is very important. That extended pole piece makes it a symmetrical field, which means that the woofer will not exhibit "suck-in" in a ported box near resonance.

I consider that a "fancy feature", lol. Fancy enought to get the job done, anyway.

Actually, except for Peerless, most subwoofers that do have a symmetrical field achieve it by extending the pole piece instead of using the Faraday ring.

Whatever, either method will do. The extended pole piece is good news. I would not recommend making a ported box with any driver that does not have a symmetrical magnetic field, which is usually achieved either through an extended pole piece or a shorting, (Faraday) ring. This Tangband has it. :up:

I was impressed initially with the 8" TB sub. But it didn't model well at all. It didn't get near xmax within its stated thermal limits in a vented box and it had a strange response. Below 100 Hz it dropped off very early and had a drooping response different to any sub I have seen. In fact, it looked as if it would need some filtering to get a reasonable response. To be honest I had written it off as a cheap and dodgy driver, perhaps I shouldn't have. Those who have used it, how did you find it's response and power handling - did you actually manage to use its excursion limits?

I had initially thought it could work as a small vented sub with a HT setup with 3" or 4" TB cubes. A nice budget HT system.

I too had got the testing on the 12" cube last year.And once thought these would only work with a high excurion PR like the one Bob at CSS brought in for them.
But after building a few test cabinets they are very very happy in the 1cft cabinet ported.
They do need the boost in at 25hz from my first tests
I will get responces up after a little revamp of the DIY site.
But the MCM copy just lost its suspension after a few months of use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.