200 Watt Lateral Mosfet Amplifier and irfp240/9240 (segue)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My excuse to all for resart the thread but my browser is not be able to reply the old thread;

hi. many tnx to all;
I'm talking about the Hitachi 50w to 200w Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
(http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/downloads/chepamp.pdf)

the mosamp8 is the Symmetrical 400 Watt Amplifier
(http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/downloads/symamp.pdf) and is too power for my Transformer 300VA;
I have some Fairchild's IRFP240 an IRFP9240 plastic case and no irf240 (TO3).
If is not possible to adapt my devices, someone have a good schematic?

....and PCB:goodbad:

I have the 400 watt symmetrical amp underway here and I have irfp240's and 9240s...so I hope they work w/o any mods. I was under the impression that they were fine w/o mods. The hitachi, now that I'm not sure of, but good luck w/ that if you do it!

-Matthew K. Olson

You would be VERY brave to ignore this !!!

Direct from Anthony's notes:
Also Other Hitachi Power MOSFET’s can be used in the Output stage this design, such as 2SK1058 and 2SJ162.
Please don’t attempt to use any IRFP240 or IRFP9240 devices in this design, It simply won’t work and you will blow up the output stage in seconds after turn on. This design is only suitable for Lateral type Power MOSFET’s

Exicon make an "almost equivalent":

http://www.altronics.com.au/cat.asp?cat=2&grp=104&id=Z1450

See their website:

http://www.exicon.com/

Cheers
Mark

My version of the Lateral Amp

Tino96,

You requested a deisgn based on Anthony Holton's Lateral FET amp. Here is my take at it. I used his design as a starting point and then went a little further. This is an amplifier for a bass guitar and will be powered from +/- 60V rails. I use IRFP240/9240 devices in this. I will be finishing up with the PCB design within the next 2 weeks. Depending on the reaction, I may post the gerbers for the PCB.

Matto5,

Check the previous thread for my link to the updated schematic on Anthony Holton's site for the 400W symmetrical amp. He suggests the modifications if you are going to use the IRFP240/9240 pairs.

Sean

Attachments

• bass amp2.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 2,343
Sean, I just went to his site and his "latest" update ...the revised board AFTER the link you showed is the one that is compensated for the irfp240 devices AND his boards reflect this. Should be drop in. :)

Check the POWER AMPLIFIERS section and go to the SYMETRICAL AMP section...you'll see that the new new schematic is compatable w/ irfp240's and those are the boards that he's shipping now. :) Later!

-Matthew K. Olson

for HighTec:
tnx for the link, I known the amp (I have this schematic and PCB layout) , but I have an 300 VA Transformer with +50/-50V out; the Aleph 4 is a class A amplifier and reqiure more power in supply.

for TucsonSean; I like your amp; I'm wait your PCB, technical data and tips
many tnx in advance :nod:

for Matto5; I have the PCB's layout (you must check it) You need it?

Greetings at all

tino96

Thanks for the comments

Mattyo5,

I am still in the process of laying out the board for this. I am reviewing the layout with a co-worker who is also very knowledgeable about audio circuits and layout. I may be another week before it's complete.

It should be noted that this is an experimental design. What I mean by that is I have included a lot of components that may end up changing values or being deleted altogether (22k shunt resistors come to mind). I may adjust the number of output devices as well. I am also thinking about adding an output protection circuit as well (may do an external board for that).

This is my starting point so I will see where I can go from here.

Tino96,

Thanks for the complement.

Re: Thanks for the comments

TucsonSean said:
Mattyo5,

I am still in the process of laying out the board for this. I am reviewing the layout with a co-worker who is also very knowledgeable about audio circuits and layout. I may be another week before it's complete.

It should be noted that this is an experimental design. What I mean by that is I have included a lot of components that may end up changing values or being deleted altogether (22k shunt resistors come to mind). I may adjust the number of output devices as well. I am also thinking about adding an output protection circuit as well (may do an external board for that).

This is my starting point so I will see where I can go from here.

hi TucsonSean,
i'm still waiting the pcb layout of your amp; do you make it?
regards

Hi!

I've just finished building Anthonys symmetrical mosfet-amp.
My pcb have room for up to 10 mosfet's, instead of his 8. Currently i'm only using 8, and it's working very good for driving my two paralleled Peerless XLS 12". The specs are as follows:
900VA transformers with softstart
6 IXYS 38A bridges
88 000uF 100VDC RIFA PEH169 capacitors
one mono-pcb of Anthony's 400W symamp

Here are some pictures of the not yet complete amp,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

-Pelle

Pelle...that really is a beautiful job you've done there. I usually have just a mess of wires. Thats just perfect though. Questions...did you make the pcb yourself? How do you post such nice big pics...since they can't be over 100k? How is the bass? Have you compared it to anything else? Thanks!

-Matthew K. Olson

Mattyo5:
I've linked the pictures from my own webserver. I didn't know that there was a limit at 100k. Glad they worked. :)

The bass i excellent and much more relaxed than before. I had a bridge NAD216 before, and two XLS 12" really started to push the limits of the NAD.

And i've done the pcb myself. If anyone is interested I can send the top-print of the layout. There are many hours of work on the layout for perfection.

-Pelle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.