• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Make: Bell P/A - Model: Carillon '35'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a tubed PA amp...

Since I'm thinking this won't be good for any mic pre stuff (guessing), I'm going the guitar amp route, (maybe)..

Haven't had very much time to fool with it, yet...

Here are some relevant links on the exact model or EXTREMELY similiar (little to no info for these, on the web)...

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....st&q=6L6GC+bell&rnum=4&hl=en#e6fd6a9f411deece

QUOTE:
"My dinosaur egg is a Bell Carillon Model 35-A 35 watt amplifier with:
2 RCA 6L6GC's
3 12AX7's (two DOA)
1 12AV6
3 HI-Z microphone inputs
1 aux phono input
4 - 8 - 16 ohm speaker connections

The front panel has 7 knobs:
Mic 1, 2 and 3
Program
Master
Bass
Treble
(I would want to add a midrange.)
The amp was mfg. by Bell P/A Products at 1209 N. Fifth St. Columbus, OH
43201 "
END QUOTE

http://www.radioattic.com/attic.php?sellerId=38#38029
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

"Bell Carillon Amp
Six tube 35 watt monoblock P/A amp with two 6L6GCs, three 12AX7s and 12AV6. Rebuilt with new capacitors and fresh tubes. Very powerful with excellent treble and bass response. Nice clean case and chassis. $195.00. (0038029)"

Here's what I'll be following:
http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/PA2Guitar/pa2g-notes.html
http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/PA2Guitar/index.html

Here's a link to the sister thread @ homerecording.com's forum:
http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=201096

Pics!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Can anyone comment on the whether it would be realistic to make this into a guitar head?

Thanks

P.S. I'm not getting any sound out of it at the moment... Still trying though..

Have you tested the inside at all? With an old amp like this, everyone agrees that you should replace most capacitors. Also, you might want to cut out all that high-gain circuitry if you're trying for hifi (with small guitar signals, you probably want to keep it). I'd also disconnect all the transformers and test the windings for open circuits. Finally, I'd use the lightbulb trick before plugging it in and turning it on, but it seems like you already plugged it in.

Personally, I'd suggest a rebuild with one of Edcor's very fine CXPP-60-8-6.6K OPT's, not very expensive at under $60 each...

http://www.edcorusa.com/classx/tube_output/cxpp/cxpp60-8-6_6K.htm

Rebuilding it makes more sense to me, because you'd probably want to replace most of those old gross components anyway. Except for bumble bee caps, post them on eBay, people actually want these things :dead:

Thanks for the reply....

First off, and I'm sure everyone's used to hearing this around here by now, I'm quite the newb....

However, this project has sat idle for many months and I'm in great need of a tube guitar amp nowadays (for studio work) and don't have the money to go buy off the shelf..

As far as testing, I haven't braved it, since I've been lacking guidance... I've done some very simple solid state repair stuff, but no tube work yet... It was plugged in way back when I bought it (June 06'ish), but I wasn't getting any signal out of it. I didn't leave it on for more than 5 minutes and I can't remember if the tubes got warm/glowed.

It came with the matching "Bell & Howell" 15 inch open back speaker cabs (and they look soooo old).. . I bought the whole package from a churh "tailgate" sale for 10 dollars or so.. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'd rather rebuild than recondition...

Here are my objectives:

A guitar amp head that is capable of 4, 8, and 16 ohm output, with a tone somewhere between an Vox AC30 and Orange and old Marshall brand stuff... Vox for clean tone / Orange/Marshall overdrive..

Tone over loudness!! As I'll be using it for studio work, tone is much more desirable than mic-overloading gain...

I'd like have the capability of using 1x12 through 4x12.. Not sure how much that matters at this point...

I would like to re-chassis it... It looks cool now, but it's not at all of durable, in my opinion.... I'm hoping to go for a head that is similiar, in looks, to this:

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/B15R-e56c5c16f8e7e1994c881b4e76e05a26.jpg

The way I see it is that I want it to compare, in construction/materials quality, to guitar heads costing $1000-1500...

Now... If I'm gonna just rebuild, should I still go in and test for anything imparticular? I'll have to lookup that lightbulb bit you mentioned...

My main question would be:
What can I salvage from this amp? Will I be saving any money or getting anything that supercedes the value of the amp on it's own? Should I feel guilty hacking this thing up?

Cool...I'll stop rambling now...

Thanks again!

-Joshua

i'd salvage the power transformer, the tubes, and possibly the sockets depending on how clean and tight they are, and whether you want to desolder every pin etc. :). as for the rest, i wouldn't trouble myself with it. i'd buy the Edcor, and start looking around for guitar head schematics using push-pull 6L6's (there should be many).

Cool...

Is there anything imparticular that I need to know about the power transformer? If my assumptions are correct, the power transformer is obviously the larger of the two....

And now a technical question...

If I want it to have 4,6,16 ohm outputs, is that determined by the output transformer's windings? Is there any relation to power transformer? Am I totally off track with this thought?

Thanks

You're on the right track.

Here's a site that has build info on the Fender amps you are thinking about.
http://www.kilback.net/homebrewtweaks/amps/amps.htm

It might be wise to figure out what the power transformer wiring is like before removing it, since there's a lot of wires.

The chassis looks fine and has plenty of room to put in a circuit board. Use a Brillo pad to clean it; then coat it with clear. Leave the transformer heater wiring to the tubes in place, since they don't change.

Another choice would be whether to replace the old capacitor cans or use electrolytics on the circuit board.

I'm currently rewiring an old organ amp into something similar to a Matchless Spitfire.

PRNDL said:
You're on the right track.

Here's a site that has build info on the Fender amps you are thinking about.
http://www.kilback.net/homebrewtweaks/amps/amps.htm

It might be wise to figure out what the power transformer wiring is like before removing it, since there's a lot of wires.

The chassis looks fine and has plenty of room to put in a circuit board. Use a Brillo pad to clean it; then coat it with clear. Leave the transformer heater wiring to the tubes in place, since they don't change.

Another choice would be whether to replace the old capacitor cans or use electrolytics on the circuit board.

I'm currently rewiring an old organ amp into something similar to a Matchless Spitfire.

Thanks for the input...

The circuit board... Is that a universal "mod"? How big of a circuit board?

I was looking at the wiring... The transformer wiring is Belden, so sayeth its labeling...

My friend just bought one of the Bassman re-issues, it sits at the studio....So I'd really like to go for something different in tone than old Fender... Still wondering if any circuits exist that sound AC30 Clean (ala Beatles) / Marshall Late-60's Distortion (ala Hendrix).... Especially, if I possess some of the parts to build one...

Hoping to keep this thread going until I can complete the project...

Edit:

Here's the AC 30 characteristics:

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/vox_ac30.html

"This amp is based on the original GZ34 valve rectifier and has been researched and tested by guitarist and technical engineers for a faithful re-issue. This is the sound that started rock-n-roll. This amp has 33 watts rms of CLASS A power and is run into two 12" Celestion speakers.

The control panel is the same as the original with it's layout and design. Vox added a stand by switch which is meant only for saving the power tubes and prolonging the life of the amplifier. It does so by halting the surge of electricity from entering the amp when it is first turned on.

The AC30 6TB uses five ECC83 for the the eq, tremolo and a single ECC82 tube in the preamp stage. It's powered by 4 EL84's power output tubes that are being run in CLASS A mode. Being run in CLASS A mode is what gives this amp it's sound along with the GZ34 power retifier tube. It has that unique Vox tone and response that if faithfully replicated. The power transformers have also been recreated and used in this model."

Here's Jimi's amp characteristics:

http://www.shanzuguitars.com/Guitar-gear/Marshall-amps/Marshall-Super-100JH.asp

"The Marshall Super 100JH, is a limited re-issue of the Super 100 amplifier from Marshall amplification. The release celebrates the companies 40th year association with Jimi Hendrix and aims to replicate the first Marshall amplifiers used by Hendrix

The amplifier stack features the Super 100 JH head, a 1982AJH 4 x 12” angled cabinet together with a 1982BJH straight cabinet.

The head is all valve and features 3 ECC83 pre-amps and 4 KT66 Power amp valves. The head features four EQ controls – Presence, Bass, Middle and Treble and top and bottom inputs for each channel. It also comes equipped with Panel features thick, gold colored Plexiglas replicating the original model. The front panel is visibly similar to that of a JTM45."

This isn't going to be easy, is it? :angel:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=225361#225361

From my prodigy-pro thread...

Posted by: tablebeast

I have yet to relace a Bell PA but you can pretty much turn any PA amp into a guitar amp. Here is what I would do with that Bell:

1. Forget about that 12AV6. You're going to focus on the 2x 6L6's and 3x 12AX7's

2. Find a guitar amp schematic for an amp that you like that shares the same tube layout. I'd say 60's Blackface Fender or Marshall Plexi would be a good start.

3. Figure out from the stock Bell circuit where each of the wires from the transformers are going and what they are doing. You're only going to reuse the chassis, sockets and transfomers here for sure, though you may be able to recycle some of the wiring and passive parts as well. You will NOT be reusing the Electrolytic Caps or Pots. Even if they work fine now you're setting yourself up for early failure by using old parts there, though reusing the carbon comp resistors and non-lytic caps would be a good idea if possible.

4. Gut the whole thing and rewire it according to your new Fender/Marshall circuit. You can leave stuff that will be the same or similar alone if you want. If it has a circuit board lose that **** and go point to point.

5. For the input you can go 2 channel parallel like the old amps or instead use the first two stages in series (and maybe a footswitch to take the extra stage in and out of the path) ahead of the stack like new amps.

6. You have just enough pot locations already for the classic guitar amp layout of: Gain 1, Gain 2, Hi, Mid, Lo EQ, Master Vol, and Presence Controls. Of course you're also going to have to put 1/4" jacks on the back to replace the screw on mic connectors for the input as well as the weird sockets for the output. Use switching type 1/4" jacks so that when there is a not a cable plugged in it shorts to ground. The input jacks should fit right in the holes that are already there and for the output you should drill out the mounts for the speaker sockets and remove the octal bases. Replace these holes with octal block off plates and drill out a hole for the 1/4" in the center of the plate.

7. Depending on the output taps for the transformer you may have a bunch of taps you don't need. For guitar you're never going to need more than 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. Most people can get away with only two of these three so decide on how you want the output jacks to work. On amps like this that I relace I like to have one or two output jacks setup in parallel with the hot leg of the jack hooked up to a wire with a open spade end that you run out of the case to the screw on the tag strip. This allows you to select the load with the wire, very simple. A lot of PA amps used this kind of stup already. Any output taps that you don't use should have the wire ends covered with shrink tubing and bundled up, you don't want the end to short out on the case so make sure its sealed up well with the tubing.

8. Replace the ungrounded AC cord with a grounded three prong one and connect the ground wire to a power transformer mounting bolt. If you're output transformer is center tapped (most likely it is) put a switch between the center tap and ground, this will be your standby switch.

9. Its likely that this amp uses a cathode biased setup with little or no negative feedback. Keep this and don't go for any exotic biasing if it doesn't already have a negative bias supply tap on the power transformer.

10. Rock out! These PA heads make great guitar amps and are each unique in their own ways. Because they are using different iron than the circuits you're cloning (or tweaking) of course they will have their own sound. Good luck!

I've also got two of these.. Not sure if there are any useful parts in there for this project...

Make: Voice of Music Model: 722

The other one is a Philco re-badge...

Below is the schem.... I can send the pdf, if anyone's interested...

Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bell-PA-Head-Al...itemZ7401308750QQcategoryZ10171QQcmdZViewItem

And a Bell PA Carillon 23:
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-tube-am...567714QQihZ015QQcategoryZ121164QQcmdZViewItem
"item is a Bell PA carillon 23 A , this has 3 mic outputs and has program, master, bass, and treble pots. this was well kept and does work...however 2 tubes are out.. buy as is.

i understand that Bell are very high quality products for fear of competitor amplifier makers. a rare find as well.

tubes are 6v6 x 2 5y3 x 1...."

============

It sure doesn't seem like these amps got far from home (Columbus, Ohio)...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70146 (See halfway down the page)...

Dayton is where I'm from... 2 were at the Dayton Hamfest... The ebay one up there is from Michigan...

lol..

Looks like this design is nearer to what I'm looking for than the stock Bandmaster 5E7...

I'm hoping to further adapt his design, which he calls Bandmaster 5E7++

http://www.kilback.net/homebrewtweaks/amps/amps.htm#tweed5e7

Thanks for the tipoff about the kilback website, PRNDL!

Some basic questions....

I can build this as a head and not a combo, right?

Is my current iron compatible with this design? I'm thinking I'd have to purchase the choke iron...

Glad to have your guy's comments... Thanks again...

I expect this a pretty dumb question, but..

What limits the number of input circuits you can have? Is it possible to build the power circuit using the 2 x KT66 and then have a Bassman 6G6-B input, a Super 100 style input, a AC30 style input, and let's just say an Orange AD30 input?

Like I said, dumb question... I'm almost positive that is possible, is it feasible though? I wouldn't expect that the inputs would mimic their originally acclaimed tone.. I do think it would at least they'd be mildly influenced, though.

?????

Thanks for all your help!!

This link is to Schematic Heaven, this guy has about as many Guitar Schematics as I've seen in one place. There could be some other designs that suit you, like Marshall, Vox, Orange, Ampeg etc.

http://www.schematicheaven.com

peritus307, is this your very first attempt at building a tube Guitar Amp, or are you just undertaking the project to accomodate the parts (PA) that you have on hand? Do you have access to a schematic for the PA?

I have built a number of Fender Tube circuits and it looks to me like your iron might not be best suited for the circuits you have in mind. To use a tube rectifier 5U4G, 5AR4 (GZ34), 5R4G, etc you will nedd a 5v winding on the PT which you don't have. And your OT might be too light for this application.

The various circuits have varying degrees of complexity and features, but MOST of the Guitar Amp circuits are fairly simple to build.

A good first build Fender amp is the 5F6A or 5E7 which are similar. Any combo amp can certianly be built as a head to give you versatility in speaker choices. I like Combos myself, but that's just a personal thing.

I guess my point is that if this IS your first tube guitar amp it might be easier to start from scratch and source the parts for the specific build that you decide on.

Good luck with your project whatever you decide to do...

Yes, this will be my first attempt at building a guitar amp. I can get the schematic from Sam's Photofact for $15, which is still being squeezed out of my tight budget.

I can see your point. I do feel like I'm in over my head to a degree it does seem rather outrageous that I could build a Marshall or Fender like amp from a $10 garage sale find.

I've had quite a few comments about the OT being weak and hope to find something more suitable, if I continue.

To be honest, I'm quite frustrated with the whole idea of converting it. I mean I still want to do it, but there seem to be so many ways of doing it that it almost seems pointless. My main goal with using this as a base was to save money, not to spend more just to say that I used junk to begin with...

On that note, the tone I want to invest in securing is rather particular. I work at a studio where our guitar tone is pretty important to the owner.

He already has, at his disposal:

Orange AD30
Marshall JCM-800
Re-issue Vox AC-30 combo
70's Marshall JMP
Sovtek MIG50
Sovtek MIG100
Re-issue '59 Bassman combo
Late 60's Sunn bass head and 2x15 cab
Marshall 1960A cab
Sovtek 4x12 cab
Orange 2x12 cab

What I really want to do is bring some new tone to the table, because, as you can see, he's got it pretty well covered for a small studio....

What do you suppose I could build would be of use to us? I have no problem starting from scratch. I just wanna build it, both to learn and to be able to spend the money a little at a time...

Thanks for your reply.. I hope to hear from you soon...

-Joshua

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.