• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First DIY amp pics-as promised!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
click to enlarge

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

This project has been a lot of work, a lot of fun, a lot of stress, a lot of money and an extremely rewarding experience.

As for the sound, well I think it's the best amp I've ever heard-but then again my opinion is most likely suspect!

I set out to build an amp that would hopefully come close to the sound of my 299C. If I got the amp to simply work I would've considered it a smashing success. The fact that it sounds better-by a very wide margin-than my 299C is an achievement beyond my wildest expectations.

The sound has all the transparency and detail of the very best amps-but not at the expense of the full and wide sound of the 7591s I enjoy.

I won't go into great detail about parts-that was covered in a previous post about this amp a few days ago.

I never thought I would be one of the folks posting pics of an amp I built from scratch, so this is a very momentous occasion for me. 9 months ago building my own amp from scratch seemed about as attainable as becoming an astronaut or an international playboy.

So, if you've read this far and have any comments, questions or criticisms I'd sure enjoy reading them.

Best,
mr mojo

Hi there!

That is just beautiful! Some of the neatest work I've ever seen - very envious indeed! If it sounds as good as it looks it must be a wonder to behold (or 'behear'?!?- haha!)

Where did you get the lovely cloth covered wire from please?

Best Regards,

- John

I looked at the pictures of your amp and wondered if the paint store was out of black? I also was struck by the fact that you seemed to have forgotten to add a brushed Aluminum faceplate.
It may be that you're not aware of how much these two details can affect the sound, at least to the Orthodox Audio Snobs.

Not being an Audio Snob myself (don't have the money to indulge my egotist fantasies), I find that your amp to be an absolute delight, at least visually. If it sounds better than your Scott 299 C then you must have really done an outstanding job as those Scott's are pretty stiff competition for any amp IMHO. Then again, I've got a 299 (a), and haven't heard too many amps that I'd rate much better.

What color red did you use for the paint? In your pictures it appears very vibrant with some depth, much like the red I've seen on the newer Dodge trucks.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Some second thoughts...............

Having been to the last three VSAC events, I can tell you that, based on your pictures (which are very well done, BTW), that you would have been right up near the top in the competition. I've seen a lot of very nice amps over the years and yours looks as good as any. While I am personally addicted to MDF, Duct tape and Bondo, that has never been allowed to interferred with my duties as the "Grand Appreciator".

It is therefore, an honor to grant you the much coveted MegaCool Award for Audio Engineering.

Best Regards,
TerryO

sardonx,

Thank you for your kind words as well-much appreciated.

TerryO,

Thank you as well! As for the color, I'm sure you're gonna love this:

It's International Harvester tractor red!! HA! If that's NOT an "audiophile approved" color then I'm a monkey's uncle!

I had a local powdercoater do the work, 85% gloss to give it some shine and depth, but not enough of a mirror finish to show a lot of fingerprints.

They had a lot of tractors and tractor parts they were powdercoating that week and they sure gave me a strange look when I brought in my parts and told them I was building a tube amp of all things.

You're absolutely right about those Scott amps. Sure, there's better, but I think diminishing returns start kicking in pretty quick.
I'll bet a lot of folks judge the sound of these old Scotts, Fishers etc. when they haven't heard them properly restored to correctly operating condition.

As for the VSAC-I think I'd be a bit out of my league-but I still appreciate the honorary title!

Best,
mr mojo

Motherone,

I sure appreciate your kind words as well. As for building another one, I'm sure the itch will strike me again, but for now I'm content to pour a glass of So-Co and watch the glow!

Best,
mr mojo

Cal,

I appreciate you taking the time to read and take a look-means a lot to me.

Thank you,
mr mojo

Mr. Mojo said:

Thank you as well! As for the color, I'm sure you're gonna love this:

It's International Harvester tractor red!! HA! If that's NOT an "audiophile approved" color then I'm a monkey's uncle!

I had a local powdercoater do the work, 85% gloss to give it some shine and depth, but not enough of a mirror finish to show a lot of fingerprints.

They had a lot of tractors and tractor parts they were powdercoating that week and they sure gave me a strange look when I brought in my parts and told them I was building a tube amp of all things.

Mr. Mojo,
I think the red was an excellent choice. In my opinion you made the right choice as John Deere Green or Ford Grey isn't going to produce the spell-binding coherence that only High-end International Harvester Tractor Red can provde. Massey Fergeson on the other hand is very good for bass amps, something that you need to be mindful of when, or if, you should decide to bi-amp.
All kidding aside, absolutely spendid workmanship.

Best Regards,
TerryO

dstockwell,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and share your thoughts; I appreciate both.

Best,
mr mojo

choky,

Thank you as well for the kind words. I surely did enjoy ALMOST every minute of it. HA!

Although more than once I got discouraged and felt certain I would end up with the world's most expensive doorstop.:D

Best,
mr mojo

TerryO,

Man I gotta say I like the way you think!

"High End International Harvester Red." Now why didn't I think of calling it that? That's got panache, that's got moxy.

Flat out marketing genius. If you're not in advertising, you've missed your calling.

Although that's not to say I won't count out a little Massey in my future, either.

Best,
mr mojo

Quote mr. mojo:

"I never thought I would be one of the folks posting pics of an amp I built from scratch, so this is a very momentous occasion for me. 9 months ago building my own amp from scratch seemed about as attainable as becoming an astronaut or an international playboy."

Congratulations and it's amazing that it's your first. Really nice and I hope this will be my inspiration to get off my butt and do something.

Since you and most of the guys here have built something, can someone suggest to someone of my background, what I should do for a first attempt. I have virtually no knowledge of electronics and have soldered no more than 10 times in my life. I guess the only thing going for me is the passion to want to build something or anything
:D .

Suggestions, please.........now, I think the above quote will have to apply to me. :bawling:

safetyman,

You'd be hard pressed to get better bang for the buck, both sound and education-wise than restoring a vintage amp. That's how I and I'm sure many others got their start.

And may I suggest, just as a single recommendation out of many,
a Scott 299C?:D

Thank you for taking the time to check out my pics and post your thoughts; both are appreciated.

Best,
mr mojo

EC8010,

Thanks to you as well for your time and kind words! The red really makes a statement, but then again I don't have the WAF to contend with either!

Best,
mr mojo

DIAR,

I sure appreciate you taking the time to have a look and post your thoughts! It did take a while to get it right, there were a lot of "two steps up, one step back." In fact it seems to me there were a lot of "one step up, two steps back" as well!

Best,
mr mojo

Well, I hate to tell ya, but all those 90 degree bends in the wire cause the electrons to bounce off the insulation since they have to change direction so quickly and they tumble back in forth in the wire causing phase delays and making the amp sound muddy.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Just kidding. That is one beautiful piece of work. You have something there to be very proud of. I especially liked your star grounding technique using the long screw with multiple wire lugs.

Fantastic job!!!

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.