• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First DIY amp pics-as promised!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trefor,

I started working with tubes @ 3 years ago-my first was a Scott 299C. Replaced coupling caps, selenium rectifier, dropping resistor, filter caps, etc and was just as proud of my accomplishment when it was done as you should be!

Restoration is a great introduction to tube sound and a great education as well. Not to mention you picked a great unit to start your journey with!

As with any endeavor, it's a process with a learning curve-but when you build your own from scratch and listen for the first time it's all worth it. Go for it! You're certainly in the right place for any and all help you may need!

Demon,

HA! This is a bit comical...this whole project started with the idea of using the outputs from my rather dog-eared 299C to save on costs and initial budget was @ $400.

Earlier in this post I think I detailed how the project spiraled out of control-funny how that happens...

I think at the end of it all the total was @ $2,700-3,000, but that also included fixing mistakes such as botched paint jobs, totally over-specced custom iron, custom attenuator and such. And that also included tools such as step-up bits, metal bits, hole-punch kits that I didn't have.

It really got out of control, and the next time I build one-just as Sherman pointed out-I now know enough to build a perfectly good amp for much less.

Sherman,

You're spot on as usual! That's just about exactly what I used-with the addition of one of those digital hand-held scopes.

I got the clamp light/magnifying glass as a gift for Christmas last year-WOW!! I don't know how I ever worked without one before!

Best,
mr mojo

Trefor:

First, though, I'm going to have to build my maple stereo rack that I've been mumbling about lately; I'll post pictures of it when I'm done. After that; homemade amp.

I will stay tuned to see your rack. Don't forget to post pics of it and maybe start a new thread for us to follow the evolution. Good luck.

Hey demon:

If you would rather not say thats cool. I sure wish my first project when it happens looks 1/2 as good as yours.

Have a look here (45 SE Glory under 600$)

Mojo:

I'll try to scan the text tomorrow and post a link...

Please don't forget us! We need you.

I love this place! :xmas:

Kindly,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.