lm3886 as driver + mjw21195/6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
i made this amp using the lm3886 chipamp and a pair of mjw21195/6 transistors... could someone chek the circuit and give me the go to test it? could someone simulate it?
it would help me alot.. i will post the schematic and some pics of the amp...
thaks
Kinser

Attachments

• lm3886+power transistors.zip
    34.3 KB · Views: 362
People here, seems to turn themselves shocked with chips.

This is some "second class" audio amplifiers for some purists...some hi level exigence audiophiles.

I think the have some reason, despite that the idea is very interesting.

If you want people to came fast....let some error....this way, many will be motivated to enter, as they will help you. If everything well made...they will see and think...hummmm, and go away.

regards,

Carlos

the reason for the fuse is simple, the amp ( lm3886 ) has a quiesent current of 50mA, this is the current thrue the 220ohm resistors, the voltage over this resistors should be ~0.6V, but it is infakt 11V, so the whole circuit acts like a short circuit.

If you or only going to use a 8ohm load, just leave the transistors out, if you look at the datasheet of the chipamp you wil see the amp can perfektly handle 8ohm loads.

there is no need to make this hobby more difficult as it is ;)

Rudy

rudy,
the resone i added the transistors is because i only had 1 chip left and 50 transistors, second resone is i was thinking of getting +-100 watts. its for a subwoofer amp... is there any way to chang something so that the amp will work like i expected? 68watts(more like 50) is not enough for me at the moment....
Thanks,
Kinser

1. try using 12ohm resistors instead of the 220ohm
2. the 0.1ohm resistors should be located between the supply and the emitter off the transistors( not on the collector ), and you better use some higher values, like 0.22 or 0.47ohm

after this you should check the quiesing current off the whole amp, if it is still to mutch then lower the resistor of 12ohm.

but 1 thing i just have to mension, you cannot go with a higher supply voltage then 42V, or you will destroy the chipamp.

Rudy

Try R2=R3=1 ohms 1W or 2.2 ohms .5W and R6 and R7 in series with the emitters

If you are using a single pair of output devices, R6 and R7 may be omitted on this circuit, otherwise 0.1 ohms is a suitable value

For this circuit to work properly you must ensure class B operation and force low gain for the boost transistors

Also, some chip amps may be powered up to its absolute maximum rated rails provided their output current is kept low so SOA is not exceded

Eva,

Two think you told me to do:
1."For this circuit to work properly you must ensure class B operation and force low gain for the boost transistors"

2."Also, some chip amps may be powered up to its absolute maximum rated rails provided their output current is kept low so SOA is not exceded"

As for no' 1 how do I do that? how to ensure that its calss B operation? how to force low gain for the transistors?
As for no' 2 the SOA fore the mjw21195/6 is 2.25A, 80V, 1 second. is this ok for 35vdc+/-?

BTW i am using only one pair of transistors..!

Thanks,
Kinser

Delete R6, R7, not needed unless you add more outputs.

R2, R3 should be on the order of 1 ohm, this will force it into class B operation. If you have some cheap plastic TIP35C and 36C around use them, they might actually work better.

If you bridge a pair of these with the 1 ohm and the TIPs with ±40V or so, youcan get 400W at 4 ohms.

Thanks djk,
I will try it without R6 and R7, I didnt use mosfets for the output boost because I dont have any, and here in Israel thay are expensive, and because I dont know which ones to get. (could you suggest which ones are preferred)
I have just ordered some OPA549, OPA548 and some OPA541 power op amps, maby I could try use mosfets with these amps:confused:

Thanks,
Kinser

I don't recommend MOSFETS, that was someone else.

They will not work easily in this type circuit.

The plastic TIP35C and TIP36C that I mention are used in car stereo and are very cheap and are higher current than the MJ2119X series outputs (which are high voltage)

djk,
Ammm... about the mosfets, I know someone else wrote that.. I was refering to who ever read the post... dosn't matter.
I used the mjw2119x because I orderd them as samples from
"On Semi" 25 of each + MJL4302A and MJL4281A, 25 of each.
I have took out R6 and R7 and changed R2 and R3 to 1 Ohm resistors... now all I need is to go and buy the fuses (BTW the power supply is from a "Creek Audio" 4330mk2 integrated amp, 250VA toroid transformer!
Thanks,
Kinser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.