OPEN APPEAL TO RS Components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the improvements to the RSWWW website, I have started ordering from them again. However, I have had to open over 100 sealed antistatic bags to get each transistor or IC out. These were themselves placed in over 10 paper bags.

I have made remarks to RS before about the wastefullness and inconvenience of this packaging method. Now I do so openly and hope that others well tell them.

The procedure is environmentally and user unfriendly, as well as costing us and them.

Please don't do this any more.

.:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

analog_sa said:
I've been boycotting these ripoffs for years. One more reason...

Hi analog,

Please don't take it personally if I suggest your comments walk close to (I would say over) that uncomfortable line called defamatory.

Guys, the side of me commercially knowledgeable about these matters suggests sticking to telling facts only when talking about commercial enterprises.

Tom

Even though Id have chosen different words for saying so, I agree with Analog. RS is running a very harsh buisness attitude in europe. A good example is buying IRFP240 from RS will set you back 12 USD a piece. Thats more than 12 times the price of Richelt and a few other local distributors. I guess what have to be mentioned to make Analog's statement look somewhat reasonable to people outside europe is that RS and farnell are actually known as the syndicate here, I dont know any smaller buisness thats buying anything from RS or Farnell, unless its the very last resort :)

Magura:)

Magura said:
Even though Id have chosen different words for saying so, I agree with Analog. RS is running a very harsh buisness attitude in europe. A good example is buying IRFP240 from RS will set you back 12 USD a piece. Thats more than 12 times the price of Richelt and a few other local distributors. I guess what have to be mentioned to make Analog's statement look somewhat reasonable to people outside europe is that RS and farnell are actually known as the syndicate here, I dont know any smaller buisness thats buying anything from RS or Farnell, unless its the very last resort :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There aren't anything better in UK. For what they provide, RS and Farnell are not unreasonable.

Some of the Eurpean outfits don'r even answer emails.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

fmak, you should give digikey a try if your ourdering a few componets at once, as they will happily del in GBP and the postage of £12 can quite easily be made up when you take into account how much cheeper most of their semiconductors are compared to RS (they even sort out the customs and duties for you which means no nasty supprises too).

Don't forget RS and Farnell offer ex-stock next day delivery for most of the huge range of items they carry.

This means loads of stock at vast cost, which is why they are more expensive then other routes, it's simple commercial reality, their stock cost and the storage of it doesn't bear thinking about.

You guys need to get a reality check, if you can afford the time and inconvenience of having to shop around and accept longer lead times in some cases then that's fine. The cost of procuring parts has to be factored into the costs of a project, what you gain in savings you could easily spend in labour in a modest business with overhead rates of maybe £30+ / hour; it soon adds up!

They aren't ripping anyone off though, to modern business their ability to guarantee supply next day, with tight project timescales, is crucial.

Andy.

bigparsnip said:
fmak, you should give digikey a try if your ourdering a few componets at once, as they will happily del in GBP and the postage of £12 can quite easily be made up when you take into account how much cheeper most of their semiconductors are compared to RS (they even sort out the customs and duties for you which means no nasty supprises too).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try to order as little as possible from the US. The fact that they won't use USPS which is cheap and reliableand that Royal Mail charges you for custom clearnave as well as duty make it unpalatable to me.

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

The point is the packaging.

I know, but it was already off-topic ;)

Think about the packaging another way - the way for IC's to be delivered is in IC tubes of large numbers.

RS though will sell you one, if you want.

To do this they need to package them individually and can either hold stock in this form, or someone has to physically remove one from a tube and re-package it at the point of dispatch, whilst taking all the necessary handling precautions.

Now Farnell do seem better in this regard and it's often reflected in the better price breaks at higher volumes; compare AD825's from both suppliers, for example.

Andy.

They aren't ripping anyone off

you need some reality check.

Lets assume i need the resonable diy amount of 40 IRFP240, and for some reasons i need them quick.

RS would be about 500€, and hopefully next day delivery.

I can send a taxi to Reichelt and would pay less than half the amount of RS price + have them on hand some hours later... Europe is not South Amerika.

At least in denmark and sweeden we have suppliers around that have a huge stock as well, and still are a fraction of the price that of RS and farnell.

Besides being a lot cheaper they offer packing to fit your needs....no ridiculous amount of bags and so forth, but exactly what you have asked for. I have such a supplier around 60 kilometers from my place, and I never have had to go elsewere. If there should be something they dont have in stock, they will get it within 24 hours.

Magura:)

RS in UK

No John RS components in uk is a different company, Radioshack in UK went under Tandy name. I'm unfortunately old enough to still think of it as Radio Spares.
Personally I don't mind the packaging, the paper is enviromentally better than poly chips or even the plastic air pillows.
What really riles me is Farnells Website, when will they realize that the stupid way it works must be costing them business.
I've always thought that some of Maplins problem came from the long time it took to get the website and CD catalogue working properly.
Oh for american prices and component availability.
Khush

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

call me dumb, but are we talking about the once "Tandy owned" company?

AFAIK one has got nothing to do with the other.

If you live in a country where RS is present and you can order from them directly, call yourself lucky.

In Belgium, for instance you could buy from RS in the U.K. as an individual but not from RS Belgium...
That's what I'd call silly.

As for the packaging?
No big deal.
Look at it from their POV, they deliver to shops and such who probably want it packaged this way....Than there's warranty issues and all that kind of stuff.

Besides, nobody's twisted your arm here...You can always buy elsewhere if you feel inclined to do so.

Cheers,;)

Re: Re: RS in UK

Magura said:

I pointed that out once I was on the phone with one of their sales guys, they are aware of the problem and are working on a new website layout.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Farnell has just raised the free post cost to £20 while RS offers it free. To get free post from Farnell, you need to go thru' the hassle of trade registration, whereas RS made it easy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.