ace3000_1......psx lcd screens?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
quick question....for ace3000_1 or anybody else who knows

do you know if those little lcd screens used for the original playstation can be used in a setup similar to yours.....they're relatively cheap...have inputs already on them....(for those of us not inclined to get into soldering)....are all lcd's backlit?.....if so then i guess these would work with a decent light source.....i'm talking about those little 5 or 7 inch screens that make the original playatation into a little portable gaming system.......they're made by several diffrent companies......

i love your project so far and have read the entire thread over the past few days.....didn't think that thread was the right place for this question as it doesn't pertain to your particular project.......keep up the good work

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
heya low, thanks for the nice words, the 5inch ps lcd's are fine, infact i think there is a modd where u can run vga in them from memory, try a search on the net looking for that partiular lcd and im sure u will find it, now the only problem with those small lcds is the fact the reso is abit too low, they are good upto about 60inches then they become abit too pixelated for close veiwing, they arent bad though to fool around with for your first projector, and those lcds are quite rigid too, they look fine on tv signals but it will depend on how far u sit from the projected image, if u cvan find one with a lcd thats made by sharp, they are the brightest lcds and will give u a nice and bright image, also the contrast on these are abit too low too but once again not bad for tv and video veiwing, all lcd's are backlit, without a backlight we wouldnt be able to see the image.

Trev

thanx ace.....

i might try one of these for my first attempt......feel alot better taking apart a $30 lcd than a $200 lcd.....

i bought 2 of those fresnel lenses from one of those guys on ebay claiming the 150" from your tv....tried it for a bit and it didn't work too well.....are these the same fresnel you're using....they're 4X i think

and when you get your plans finalized do you have a price set for them yet?....i might want a set for ideas......

keep up the good work

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
i bought 2 of those fresnel lenses from one of those guys on ebay claiming the 150" from your tv....tried it for a bit and it didn't work too well.....are these the same fresnel you're using....they're 4X i think

Ya they would work but the focal on those are quite long so it would make your project bigger then it should have to be, they arent the same frensels however but very much the same, the plans will be $45, they arent just a quick set of drawings put into a file, they will be very comprohensive and acurate in cad format with a guide to each plan page telling u a few hints and tips on making the object on that certain plan page and where it will go, all things will be draw up in the plans, it is alot of work but the better the plan the better it is for u guys to make also getting your monies worth, there are heaps of ideas in the plans most of it can be used in a projector very similar in design and not just in my design, what makes it easy for u guys is that u will have a plan to work from, u build the item and it will work at the end of it, with me its abit diff, i come out with the ideas and design the ******* thing with manny hrs work lol, i only wish others would publish some plans like my projector so that one day i could take the easy route lol, the plans are numbered and asigned to a numberd guide, u cant go wrong in building it i can asure u.

Trev

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
i might try one of these for my first attempt......feel alot better taking apart a $30 lcd than a $200 lcd.....

Ya i recomend it, its fun and u learn alot working with hands on the job rather then reading a forum, also the lcd is cheap, my first projector was with a 5.5inch, its in the diy projector part 2 thread starts at page 80 i think , around there lol

thanx again man.........

i'll probably give it a shot with the lenses i have and one of those lcd's....just to get a simple basic hands on knowledge before spending larger amounts of cash......

good idea on the plans......if i can scrounge up a quick $45 i might take a set.....

as for a final focusing lense.....do you know of any cheap ones....that's about the only other thing i would need to buy....everything else i plan to build or use exsisting supplies here at the house........

this is one of them

http://r1.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http...ct_id=1724370&sourceid=0100000012231186802498

.........i'm looking on ebay but this is what i'm looking at......they are made by several diffrent companies but i think they are all nearly the same.... some may be a little better quality than others.....i bid on one on ebay for $30 and lost to another bidder who had bid $30 earlier than i did....if i had gone $31 i would have gotten it.....you can buy them now on ebay for as little as $49.95 but that's almost more than i want to spend on something i'm going to take apart, for my first attempt anyway....

when i do get one i'll take pics and keep tabs on my progress as i go

ace.......a shorter focal point will be better...it means i won't have to have as big of a projector unit.....right?

adendum to previous post

that one on the link is made by sony....it's more expensive than the others i've seen.......by a good bit.......there's one by a company called Intec......they're being sold on eBay for $42.99 and up......they may also have a website....however it's only a 4" screen as compared to 5" on some of the others......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076764049&category=1489

there are also screens like these for the other systems...GameC*be....PS II......and XB*X....... but they're more expenseive.......i think........

i'm still looking for one myself.........i'll keep ya posted as to what i acquire.............

Screen manufacturers

Just some more info on the various PSX screens available, from someone who also started using a PSX screen. I know there are at least 3 different brands of screen available: Sony, Interact, and Intec. The first 2 are 5" screens, while (as was mentioned before) the Intec is a 4" screen.

My first attempt was using an Interact screen. There are ribbon cables on 3 of the 4 sides. The cables on the top and bottom are fairly easily extended (not the rigid flat plastic type, more IDE-ish) if you're handy with a soldering iron. The cables on the side are the rigid flat kind. I succeeded in extending the top and bottom cables. You can then fold the controller board 90-degrees to the side, if you are careful. I, however, managed to crack part of the rigid cable on the side when I was mounting the assembly (after all of the hard work was done). It still works, except for a stripe about 1" wide running the width of the screen. This screen does have s-video input as well.

I purchased an Intec next. I then realized it was a 4" screen and not 5", so I have not opened it up to see what the inside is like. I do not believe it has s-video input, but as I said, I never messed with it that much, so I could be wrong.

After breaking the Interact, and ending up with a 4" Intec, I moved onto the Sony. I did not know about the VGA mod at the time, so I am just using the standard composite input. There is actually a bit of an issue with this because Sony does not include a standard RCA connector on the screen. Instead, it is a modified 3.5mm headphone jack that has stereo audio and the video all in one. You can either purchase the cable from Sony or on eBay (~$10 I believe), or you can just solder a connector directly to the board where the input jack splits the video off (the route I went). There is only 1 ribbon cable on the Sony, and you can fold the controller board 90-degrees out of the way easily. The resolution of the Sony is better than the Interact or Intec as well.

As ace mentioned, these screens are better suited for smaller projections. I currently have mine doing a 90" diagonal, and the pixelation is noticeable from 12' away. The contrast is also a bit low, although some of that is due to my light engine. I only use it for TV and DVD, so I have no idea how video games would look.

As a final note, I didn't pay more than $50 (including shipping) for any of the screens. I got the Sony for $40. Just watch eBay and be patient.

thanx for the info cohort........

that's the exact kind of info i've been wondering about.....

i'm watchin' ebay all the time and almost got an intec screen, but i might hold out for a decent priced sony if there that much better and easier to work with......

i plan on making my light engine as bright as possible without getting way overboard or washing out the image......

i'll keep my eyes on the sony's.....

if any of you see lowjacker bidding on one please please don't snipe me.....i would appreciate it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.