Aleph+Constant current sources X-ZEN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My own X-Zen monoblocs are running at 2.7A each and uses Aleph current sources in the upper zone of the differential pair, and a constant current source at the tail. The CCS works at 5.2volts and at the output points there are 21.7 volts . The supply is fixed at 38V.
Signal and Aleph CS Fets dissipate around 21.5W and the sinks temperature is actually low.
DC offset between the speakers terminals is 2 or 3 mV.
Design reflects the JH6you one in the x-soz thread but I introduced a CCS instead of resistors at the tail , for a better X effect and low dissipation.
The pics show my own realization , based in a wood box + separated heat sinks for each fet so I've been able to avoid insulators between fets and sinks.
There is a fully simmetrical lay-out in terms of pcb and cables lenght, and I have selected the devices for a match of 15mv max vgs.I do not have very good parts though , especially power resistors , but I am happy with they anyway.
Schematic reflects the circuit as I build It .

The babies.....:

Attachments

• im000043.jpg
    im000043.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,713
An eye on the inside...
On the small heat sink is mounted the Fet for the CCS; the capacitor is a nippon chemi-con 56000u -50V ;Necessarily I mounted some resistors in parallel to achieve the wanted dc point.I also introduced -see the Aleph X schematic-the famous "mills resistors" at a value of 22k.

Attachments

• im000077.jpg
    im000077.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,514
The amp performs beautifully with a balanced input .In the forum there are a lots of beautiful comments that describes what this amp can do with the music .I should search for words too,that now do not come , to describe how the music is complete when reproduced through an X zen.

The schematic zipped.
:)

Attachments

• aleph and constant cs x-soz.zip
    12 KB · Views: 785
stappvargen said:
Great job stefanobilliani. :)
You have just inspired me to make a similar effort!

How do they compare with your ZenV2 (I think)?

/Niclas

Thank you Niclas,

I have Zen V4 with IRF9610 buffer; comparing the 2the results are:
sounstage focus ,
punch ,
timber precision,
power into 8 ohm.
All are greater with X , and the sounds slide with more fluidity.
Well : when the music plays those aspects are all in a great cohesion ... and I forget myself about they.:)

/Billiani - still likes his Zens

Very, very nice worked out, Stefano!

Could you abbend the circuit with the measured bias voltages, too? - at least the input biasing.
I know you were interested in applying the D1 I/V solutions; it were a real pleasure to be coupled to your actual design w/o capacitors.

Congratulations,
Laci

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.