Promise not to laugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
An acquaintance has just "upgraded to a B*$e HT system and has given me all his old speakers.
I have sitting on a table here an even dozen little driversshielded drivers ( I won't dignify them by calling them woofers) 8 from little LG HT in a box systems, 80mm dia. and 8R nominal plus another 2 from a Panasonic and another 4 little 65mm Panasonic drivers that had 2.2uF caps in front of them.
Also one of those awful LG ported subwoofer boxes, but a reasonable looking 190mm shielded woofer in it.

All drivers work, and sound quality isn't great but improved when I put a 150uF cap in series to cut some of the bass.
Pictures will follow of course.
OK I'm now open to suggestions, and I don't fish so no anchor jokes please.
I am sort of thinking of an over the top pair of computer speakers using the 65mm driver as the tweeter.

Regards
Ted:D :D :D

Someone gave me a system like this the other day with the "woofer" (4 inch haha) broken and missing.

I stuck them in my bathroom with a couple mics and made a "reverb chamber". Used it on a recording and now they are with all the other junk I have collected in the garage. :smash: Think I will gut the amp out of the subwoofer unit and find some use for it.

Ideas? hmm maybe make some experimental rear surround speakers. Diffuse or firing in as many directions as you can manage.

Hmm didn't see you say keep it stereo.

How about this - glue all the drivers back to back (Push-Push) and build a box/baffle around them. Or how about no baffle. Take off the dust covers and make a phase plug/stand by glueing a metal pole onto the center/magnet and have them fire up and down.

Step one should be to make some measurements. That will show, what those drivers are good for. Maybe some are so bad, you won't want to use them at all. The others might need enclosures that qualify them for one thing or other.

Provided they are, what they look to be, one of the 65 mm should be applied as full-ranger from ~300-400 Hz upwards per side. One or two of the 80 mm drivers can support between ~100-150 and 300-400 Hz, maybe in d'Appolito arrangement for the looks. The 190 mm plus the remaining 80 mm drivers could add up to form kind of a subwoofer below ~100-150 Hz.
Make sure that the speakers have support from a backwall to perform well in the lower regions.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK, finally found my DMM; LG drivers all measure 7R2 and the little 65mm Panasonic drivers measure 3R9 which makes sense of the 50V 5.6 uF cap that was in front of them.

I think it makes more sense to mock up a test baffle and play, so 4 a side series /parallel and first order XO will be it.

Things are hectic on the home front so this won't be a priority, SWMBO gets her dressing table fixed pretty first and then I have to re-roof the garage so I have some-where dry to solder and woodwork--- I have been chased out of the sewing room as of NOW!!!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I should have said " that makes sense of the 5R6 uF cap AND the 2R5 resistor" in front of the driver, although having what looks like a 20mm voice-coil I'll be using a much lower cut off, I'll look in the box of tricks and see what values I have but I think I could probably get away with a first order around 3K as in a different speaker these drivers seem to be have run full range I assume from 200Hz up given Panasonics usual "HT in a Box " approach

I've messed around with small speakers like this for a while. The thing I've generally found:

The speakers are too small to meet the subwoofer at 100Hz (though the manufacturers still bring the sub in at 100Hz, and there's a gap in the response)
The midrange and treble are actually Ok, but the bass side really lets them down.

Suggestion - 3 per side OB line source, with 4" helper woofers to cover 200-300Hz down (maybe higher), but put the woofers in boxes...

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.