New Reference - SG-OB "Stargate Open Baffle"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally, the first in the universe - an open baffle speaker worthy of STARGATE status! :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

Where's the "Z baffle" for woofer you mentioned earlier?

And what's the black box beside the EV? An amp? For what?

That magnificent EV! That coffee can is quite heavy, isn't it? Those spokes of basket seem weak. Is it advisable to make some extra supports for that big magnet?

Oh, sorry for all those questions! Congratulations to your works. Those thick baffles are well made. And, being big, it's still in a well judged proportion. Congratulations, again! :D

lawbadman said:
very very nice.

what woofer are you using?

Thanks, these took a lot of experimenting, trial and error, measuring, listening, building, scrapping to get right.

They use the lowly Pyle PDW21250 21" woofer to 40 to 120 cycles. No EQ needed at all

Then a modified Electro Voice SRO 12 twelve inch 120 to 1400 cycles.

Then the Emilar EC175 compression driver (1" exit, short throat, ferrite magnet) loaded in a complex conical horn 1400 to 10K

Then the little B&C DE10 ring radiator compression driver for 10k up with an Eminence APT80 horn modified to work with it

Below 40 cycles is a horn loaded JBL 2242H 18"

The system is quad-amped

CLS said:
Hi,

Where's the "Z baffle" for woofer you mentioned earlier?

And what's the black box beside the EV? An amp? For what?

That magnificent EV! That coffee can is quite heavy, isn't it? Those spokes of basket seem weak. Is it advisable to make some extra supports for that big magnet?

Oh, sorry for all those questions! Congratulations to your works. Those thick baffles are well made. And, being big, it's still in a well judged proportion. Congratulations, again! :D

Thanks!

I burned the Z baffle as well as the W H and U baffles. They all sound resonant

The box next to the EV is a Tannoy Limpet mono amp, it drives the EV

The EV basket is fine as far as I can tell, I have another mod for the mid that loads it a little better 300-400 cycles that is not shown

Re: Re: New Reference - SG-OB "Stargate Open Baffle"

CLS said:
The woofer in this picture is different from others:

I'm curious.

I looked up the Pyle's web page, and found the picture is a little bit different.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/el.asp?model=PDW21250

The ones you are using look 'cleaner'.

I have four of the Pyles here, every single one is a little different. I ordered from two different places and all four either have a different basket, dust cover, or input terminals. The magnet, spider, cone and surrounds are all identical as far as I can tell - The pair I'm using measure nearly identical the other two are close - they work very well for what I'm doing but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. I was using the Beyma 21's and they actually don't work as well on the baffle as these. The Beyma's required attenuation above 90 cycles for a flat response on the baffle, that made them almost 6 db less sensitive at 50 cycles.

VERY nice. :up:

I'm also very interested in the T-S parameters you got for the PDW21250's. I've emailed them at least a dozen times about this over the last several months with no response from them whatsoever. I'm well aware of Pyle's reputation, but I'm still a bit surprised at the lack of consistency between drivers. That's ridiculous.

How's this sound versus your last OB? :)

gainphile said:
Verrrrrrrrryyy nice :D

I currently use 4x 10" myself. How much better is the impact you get from changing to that single 15" ??

Thanks, it's a 21" woofer.

The 10's I had didn't do much below 70 Hz these go down an octave lower without giving anything up but sensitivity above 100, but I get that back and more with the big magnet 12" midrange crossed in at 120 - the bass drivers do require some power though. I use rock solid 250 watt amps on the 21's

ttan98 said:
Magnetar,

Your ideas and designs are always very interesting, I always look forward learning something from it.

Now this project is completed you must boiling to start a new one.

Cheers...

I have my heart set on building some obscure DIY diffusion panels and remodeling my wife's "babe cave" - her kitchen - that should keep me intoxicated for a while
:D

love your work...

I will ask the question that others may be thinking of. If you could not find a set of good SRO12 EV's what would your second choice be for the 12 inch driver? Ok while I am asking also where do you find the cool horn are they a stock available product? Thanks for posting all of your efforts and then answering dumb questions like these. By the way I have ownes 57's and I think that your set up looks better. No one will confuse it with a space heater. You got a load of whack in a small space there should be worth some kind of award.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nice looking rig! You've been working hard.

I'm surprised that the Pyles are up to the task. Nice find.
Wow, those thing must have an Mms of about 13 oz. Damn near a pound.

BTW, for others as brave, the 21s are on sale at Pyle for about $158. Time to get four. ;)

panomaniac said:
BTW, for others as brave, the 21s are on sale at Pyle for about $158. Time to get four. ;)

Here in the US, I've seen them for like $140 and some change at a couple places I found through Google Products, plus a guy that was selling them on eBay for about that price. But that's been a while ago, and I haven't looked lately, so I dunno what all is out there now.

Oh yeah.. speaking of which, I do remember emailing the guy on eBay who was selling them several months back. ..Just one short sentence, asking whether or not he had any Thiele-Small parameters. A few days later, his response was, "These are new from Pyle". :confused: :rofl:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.