Driver electrical model

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I want to simulate a woofer in a closed loop by use og an accelerometer, and need a driver model for this.
I've found one (attached) buth the frequency responce seams very limited (breaks at 30Hz+), so I assume it isn't correct.
Do you have a better model?

Regards Kaspar

Attachments

• loudspeakers.png
    loudspeakers.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 384
f4ier said:
Leach's Computer-Aided Electroacoustic Design with SPICE should give you an idea. Have a look at his site for other material as well; particularly the article regarding lossy voice-coils.

Remember that these models are only valid up to frequencies just before cone breakup. Moreover, these are small-signal models.

Enjoy :)

This is kind of a fun subject. I thought I'd post an LTspice simulation of a closed-box subwoofer just to illustrate the technique. The simulation makes use of the techniques in Leach's paper as specified above (but does not use the nifty model for lossy voice coil inductance from his other article). The model explicitly shows the three sections of the circuit: electrical, mechanical and acoustical. It uses the parameters of a Dayton "Titanic" 15" sub in a 3 cubic foot closed-box system. The box is assumed lossless, just for illustrative purposes. The simulation doesn't attempt to look at vented boxes, so it would need to be modified for that.

The simulation is for two systems that are identical in every way except that one circuit includes the effects of a (lossless) voice coil inductance and the other neglects the inductance. The driver parameters are entered via the SPICE ".param" directives in the lower-left column. From these parameters, CMS, MMS and RMS are calculated. The box volume in cubic feet is entered using the "VBcuft" parameter, which is set equal to 3 in this case.

A few LTspice quirks are worth mentioning here. If one uses current-controlled sources (CCCS "F" source or CCVS "H" source), one must provide an independent voltage source of value zero Volts to sense the current. A positive current means it's going into the positive terminal of this zero-Volt source. The "F" or "H" source must specify the reference designator of this voltage source in its "value" field. See for example the H1 and H2 sources. These implement e=BLu and f=BLi respectively. Voltage source V2 senses i and V3 senses u. Also note how V2 and V3 are referenced in the "value" fields of H1 and H2 respectively, along with the BL product. Here's one thing to beware of. If you copy a circuit containing a current-controlled source, the "value" fields are not "fixed up" to reflect the voltage source in the new, copied circuit. Rather, they reference the original voltage sources. So if you do such a copy, you'll need to "fix up" these reference designators manually.

Looking at the lower circuit, current source F6 senses the velocity of the cone, while C6 integrates it to get displacement, and scales the displacement to units of mm. Current source F2 senses the volume velocity, which is differentiated using L3. The value of L3 is chosen by using equation 4.17 from Beranek, which is for a piston in an infinite baffle. The pressure in this equation is scaled to an RMS value, then divided by 2e-5 N/m2 and the off-axis angle is set to zero. The distance used is one meter, and the result neglects the excess phase from the propagation velocity of sound and the corresponding distance. The distance can be changed via the "dist" parameter. If the voltage applied to the voice coil is 2.83 Volts RMS (4 Volts peak), the voltage measured at out1, when expressed in dB, corresponds to the dB SPL using the normal convention of specifying sensitivity. That is why the voltage sources specify a value of 4. To get displacement in mm, the left axis of the graph of the voltage at out2 must be displayed in linear form, rather than dB. These same considerations apply for out3 and out4 in the upper circuit.

If you want to see the calculated values of CMS, MMS and RMS, you'll need to switch over to operating point analysis. Run the simulation and do a View, SPICE error log. The computed values of these will show up, courtesy of the ".measure" directives on the lower right. In order for the operating point analysis to succeed, I had to place a large resistance in parallel with the capacitors having value CAB (C2 and C4). Right-click on these and you'll see they're set to 1e12 Ohms.

Of course, programs like WinISD can get all these data and much more, with less effort. But SPICE offers lots of flexibility and power if you want to get fancy and look at things these programs can't. This example wasn't meant to be comprehensive, just to illustrate the concept of how to set the problem up.

Edit: Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention. All driver parameters are in MKS units to minimize confusion and chance of error. So for example, the units of SD are square meters, not the square cm usually seen.

Attachments

• titanic_sub_example.zip
    2 KB · Views: 109
Hello,

You may give a look to:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jm.plantefeve/simul-hp.html

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hi

I want to simulate a woofer in a closed loop by use og an accelerometer, and need a driver model for this.
I've found one (attached) buth the frequency responce seams very limited (breaks at 30Hz+), so I assume it isn't correct.
Do you have a better model?

Regards Kaspar

I notice that the transformer (gyrator) is missing representing the motor and also the transformer for mechanical to acoustical circuit (SD) and thus Bl and SD are not accounted for in the model. It can be made to work but component values and observed currents/voltages must be scaled by Bl, SD as required. This also looks to be straight from Small's work but the scale factors are missing.
Edit: I did not go back to Small's paper and looking again at the model the scale factors might be buried in the math. Still to get actual SPL and displacement I believe that these factors, at least SD is needed.

Last edited:
electrical versus mechanical

Remember the speaker is a mechanical device. The electrical model and impedance of the electrical system may or may not well track what the mechanical system is doing. Depending on driver it can be right on or off quite a lot. I have seen electrical Q be off a factor of 2 from the mechanical system Q (not Qms but the total Q) and resonance frequency of the electrical system off 30% from the resonance frequency of the mechanical system so... be careful as you are using feedback and this much error may cause instabilities in your set up.

It just hit me today because of another post on another thread that the part or the voice coil in the gap is the motor in a model and the part of the voice coil not in the gap is an inductor. The voice coil not in the gap does not produce significant back EMF. Because no back EMF is produced that part of the voice coil is an inductor in the model and not part of the reflected impedance

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.