BBBIB Bigger Badder BIB Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Variac said:
Nice to have you guys back for a chat.
I guess GM is like me- Our friends lets us down by not making us stuff or having the proper shop to exploit :devilr: ;)

Greets!

Well, my friends and the few neighbors I have that speak English and not in worse shape than me or haven't moved to another state help quite a bit, but they have job/family commitments, so I can't complain. I even have an OK shop, but unfortunately the roof's shot, so everything is covered up, corroding, and littered with various neighbor's discarded kitty litter buckets. Factor in there's no $$ to buy new blades, etc., as I've worn mine down to where they overload trip the motors if they have to make a long cut and that I'm the only one of the bunch that ever did any woodworking, so they're all reluctant to work with the various power saws, routers, etc. and I can't say I blame them.

GM

Scottmoose said:
I don't understand the morbid fear of bass............

.........you can't manage the tapped version for a while Greg, I might give it a shot..........

Greets!

Bass cost $$ and B@#$ has taught them that the average consumer is easily pleased with just boomy mid-bass.

I don't have a clue when I can get a big cab done. I was out in storage shed earlier today trying to find (unsuccessfully :() some relatively small scrap to make a mini-tapped horn with a 40-1197 just to see if I have a clue as to how to properly position the driver Vs just sticking it at the end as others have done, which I believe only works correctly at one expansion rate.

GM

That's a real shame. Must be tooth-splintering, having the shop but not able to use it. :( I sympathise Greg, believe me.

Hmm. I remember TD noting that the driver position at the end wasn't quite right for one of the early quasi tapped-horns & should be slightly offset for a 'proper' clone, though no-one seemed to pay much attention at the time aside from yourself. I reckon we should be able to crack it without too many problems though. I've a few ideas running around what passes for my brain at the moment.

Greets!

Oh, it is....... combined with some other similar on-going situations you're going to be hard pressed to find anyone more frustrated than me.

Actually, I didn't, I'm basing my assumption on the formula I use to calc the driver position for pipes/horns will also work with a tapped horn since if it's indeed ~optimum for the former, then it should be for the latter *if I'm not missing the obvious*, something I'm increasingly prone to do. :(

GM

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well OK, if it has to be done this might be the place!

Other candidates:

-Small Fostex cabinet, they could certainly use some more bass.
Do you just use a second of the same Fostex driver, but with the whizzer removed? and/or a low pass filter?

-Pioneer BUFU: They make at least one woofer that is very similar to the one with the whizzer cone, and I believe that the Pioneer uses the "universal 8 inch BIB" cabinet, right?

here's the woofer choices for that all Pioneer system:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-063

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-055

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-042
This last seems to be a real woofer

Here's the original BUFU:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-045

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Man! I'm so behind the times....

I'm always amazed at the incredible interest in the BIBs. Now I realize it's that you guys just keep coming up with new stuff.

So great, I now have to make a MONSTER horn. Like GM, I just happen to have the Pioneers around the house.. they were a gift from Mr. Pass....Rumor has it that he has a couple hundred of them. No real explanation, but he's a fan of 'em.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, so the Pioneers in the sketch were already on the big size for the driver. But I forgot to re-ask my question: Does the tapped woofer necessarily require a larger cabinet? My understanding is the one in the sketch is so oversized already that the tapped woofer is accomodatred for that reason., but how about the previous, smaller pioneer(universal ) cabinet?

Jeremiah- come on man!! This is your chance- You'll be the FIRST, once you're married good luck building them! You can put the driver in the sidewall and turn them 90 degrees as just mentioned. Also, you can play with the proportions a bit and make them flatter like the monoliths... They don't HAVE to be 1.414:1 apparently.

Anyone remember the BBBIB's? I built a pair.

Heres some pics of my build of BIB's for the Eminence 12LTA driver and a Fostex FT17 tweet. It takes 5 sheets of ply for the two enclosures, 6'3"x20"x30" rough dimensions.

On to the pics

P1010033.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010041.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010029-1.jpg

P1010028-1.jpg

P1010027-1.jpg

These speakers completely utterly dominate, with the space they take up and the low end they pump out. They get painful loud with UNDER 100 watts, I'm powering them with an ART SLA-1 amp and I can't turn it up all the way, I can't take it. The low end on these is just unreal, feel it in the chest, in the floor, in the walls, its just nuts.

I don't think they turned out to bad for the build time being roughly 24hrs (that includes sleep)

DSCN0469.jpg

:D :D :D :D
I'm glad someone made these. I have been sitting on a pair of Beta 12-LTAs for a couple months now. Been trying to decide if I want to throw the non-whizzer-coned Beta 12s in for some of the tapped horn goodness that Scottmoose brought up in the original thread.

Those look great, but I bet they will eat that tv if you leave them alone in the room with it.

jbush said:
........I bet they will eat that tv if you leave them alone in the room with it.

This reminds me of the floor loaded 15" woofer pipe corner horns I did back in the Stone Ages, I had a 25" vacuum tube TV and kept vibrating them loose playing a special effects RTR tape that had significant output to 30 Hz, a really low F back then. At the time we were living in the downstairs apt. at the far end of a long building and I would go home for lunch to 'experience' them :) since I couldn't do it any other time of week. Well, one day an insurance adjuster shows up and tells me I'm going to have to reimburse them for replacing some China, pictures, and knick-knacks that had hit the floor due to what the elderly dweller in the upstairs apt. at the other end of the building claimed was due to repeated earthquakes! Thankfully, this was the extent of my liability, though there probably were other neighbors with similar problems. After that, I limited myself to higher cut-off vinyl until I got a house of my own way out in the extreme edge of the suburbs. That old lady really got tired of the ~17 min. version of Iron butterfly's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' cranked up to ~live levels though! Not to mention Pink Floyd's early stuff, especially 'Careful with that axe, Eugene'. :) That scream is blood curdling at high SPL.

Gees, those were the days, young, carefree, socially irresponsible :innocent:.......... so now I 'bite my lip' and 'grit my teeth' when the local kids crank up their boombox cars to distortion levels I never dreamed possible in my youth.

These are currently a what the hell why not build it setup in the upstairs part of my house.

The first words my roommates said was "Ah, ****, what the hell is this?" My roommate that listens to techno likes these speakers even more than I do I believe...

I'm currently a Junior in Electrical Engineering here at Kansas State University and tend to build rather ridiculous setups for their locations. *think noise complaints in the dorm, from 2 floors away...*

This is not my main setup here in my house, I just moved this in today to play with it. The main purpose of this is to provide audio for a dance team entry in a parade, and beyond that, I have no clue.

Someone could easily use these for everyday listening, with very low power they are docile and well behaved, but its like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, start feeding them power and they become downright ridiculous. I wouldn't quite describe them as a HiFi unit, but I could easily have them as my everyday speakers if I had the extra room to play with.

While I'm at it here are some photos of my other setups that I've had (and currently use).

This is in my basement *The BIB's are upstairs*, Magnepan MGIIB's and various pro audio gear. The substage is a single sealed Mach5Audio MAW 15, soon to be a pair of them once I get the second box built.

DSCN0474.jpg

DSCN0473.jpg

DSCN0450.jpg

For a college house setup, I don't think it is to bad.

Here is some of my previous follies into the audio world in a dorm room.

MTM setup using Dayton Reference 7" and Morel MDT29

100_0304.jpg

Same Dayton Reference's, just ported to 40hz....

P1010004.jpg

My freshman year I had a pair of Fostex FE103's in their reccomended BLH design that I made out of walnut.

PC210012.jpg

P1010027.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.