BBBIB Bigger Badder BIB Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
way cool and way huge! - will they play bowed bass (say Gary Karr's Koussevitzky) without getting muddy? (many reflex have problems, Klipschorns can sound bad too)

I'm used to Karlson with coaxial (80-95oz ferrite) to handle techo and Japanese drums - 12LTA had only modest dynamic aibility in a 5cf tl and went out of control on OB - its a good driver overall

Freddy

Freddi: I have no idea about bowed bass, I do not have any of that music at my disposal currently although I will look into finding it.

The parade was today, and everything went fairly well. There was absolutely no problem with the tweeter, it handled high SPL *second order at 10k for over an hour and didn't seem to have any ill effects on it. You could clearly hear the music 150+ yards away from the speakers -while on axis- the bass diminished rapidly but I had expected that.

Hi,

I am in process of building a BiB using a fostex 206fe with a FT17H.

Was wondering about how to go about designing the crossover. Any reason why was the super tweeter placed below the driver in the illustration in the earlier post?

I was thinking of putting it above the driver. BTW should i take the trouble to try to align the magents of the driver and the tweeter?

Daniel

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The main reason is that the mid/bass driver has to be at exactly that height, and where it ends up is pretty far from the floor. If the tweeter is mounted below, it can be pretty well aligned with the height of your ears, which, when you are sitting, is about 95 cm above the floor for me. Since the higher frequencies that the tweeter deals with are quite directional, it is especially important to have it aligned with your ears.

Hi all, just wondering if these monster BIB's went any farther than this? I read the part where they were used in the back of a truck but not much talk on home use.

I have a pair of the Beta 12LTA drivers and reading this really got me going.
Did anyone else build this BIB? If so, are they anywhere close to high fidelity? Would phase plugs help?
Thanks!
:smash:

Looks like interest has gone away on the beta 12:bawling:
I'll be building some BBBIB's when the weather warms a bit so for now I've had the drivers in some old P.A. boxes just to get some ideas and to decide if these things are worth the time. I think they are.
After reading the Pioneer B20 thread I borrowed the idea of the tweeter on the end of the phase plug. I used the Dayton ND16FA 5/8" tweeter with a 2.2uf cap. Because the plug starts out at nearly 2" diameter I get some curve before the tweeter, not a perfect profile but OK.
The plugs made a big difference in the mids and adding the tweeter made them very nice to listen to.
Bottom line, this project will be well worth the time and money spent. I'll write more as I go.

Anyone ever try cement board to line the inside of a box? Would it work?:smash:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cement board comes up a lot and it might be good for mass loading and/or gluing to a layer of another material to get constrained layer damping, but as you will note in handling it, it is quite flexible, not the quality you would expect in cement or concrete. so it may not be as good as some other materials.

I made the B20 BIBs out of 3/4" OSB
(flake board) and it seems to work well and is very cheap
if it is on sale....

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OSB looks cool as it looks kind of 3D because all the flakes are pressed together. I am looking forward to try staining it with anilene dyes the way some electric guitars are bright yellow or red, then adding a clearcoat. But SAF/WAF would be very close to ZERO!!, so unless you covered it in another layer I wouldn't recommend it. However , making the walls two layers thick with the inner OSB makes sense, makes it a little bit bigger though.. but a very good idea as 3/4" is pretty thin for such big panels.

bassrogue said:
Hi all, just wondering if these monster BIB's went any farther than this? I read the part where they were used in the back of a truck but not much talk on home use.

I have a pair of the Beta 12LTA drivers and reading this really got me going.
Did anyone else build this BIB? If so, are they anywhere close to high fidelity? Would phase plugs help?
Thanks!
:smash:

Yep, I've got them in the upstairs of my college house currently. They are powered by a Yamaha RX-V receiver, have even used a QSC Powerlight 1.0HV amp on them.

They sound just astoundingly good for what they are, I'm not sure if I'd call them hi-fi, but anyone who enjoys the sound of full range stuff will love them to death. The dynamics on them is unreal, they will go down to ~17hz, something in the room placement will put a node at 9hz and make the front door vibrate quite profusely.

I love them to death, they are great speakers although the downside is they are massive. I'm currently in the process of selling them to one of the professors at work (I work in the engg. labs at school). Mine will be getting a double layer on all sides, then a oak front in medium walnut finish while the rest is black. Then they get installed in a pool table room in a basement.

My college house isn't a typical one for audio, I've got the BIB's up stairs, fullrange Mileva's downstairs with dual Mach 5audio MAW15's in stereo on QSC rack amps, and a set of Magnepan MG-IIb's boxed up behind a couch I'm trying to sell, and some tangband 1/4 waves for my computer speakers. Some call me crazy :D

If you've got any questions for me about them, feel free to ask, or hell if anyone wants them and is close to Manhattan, Kansas you can buy them and I'll build another pair for the professor. :)

They are quite something to listen to, everyone who has played with them has been throughly impressed. I'll put a pic or two up when I get home (provided I remember). They aren't set up currently for serious listening, they are in the corners of the room just for when I want to 'rock out'. I would love to build bigger ones with an extra driver in the baffle for a boost on the low end, but my roommates would slaughter me if I brought them into the house.

They are quite something to say the least, it sparked a nice conversation with Clark Blumenstein (blumenco) when I was at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. I was 'that guy' who actually built these monsters. So then I got the pleasure of having a good conversation with the man, who is a pretty awesome guy too.

The professor will be taking delivery of these in September, so before them I'm putting a second layer on everything and a oak front baffle to make them look pretty.

-Ryan

Has anyone actually built this BiB using the Beta LT12A?

I am thinking of building 2 of these for a small auditorium measuring 35' x 60'. The ceiling is pretty low at about 13-14' and the place is highly reverberant. Saving on speaker cost would allow spending a bit on room treatment.

A live gospel band is likely to use the system most often. I am thinking of having the Bass guitar on its own cube - on stage.

The place should seat between 150 and 200 people.

Any thoughts on whether this is a wise idea?

Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.