Anyone used a Volt RV3143 or R3853?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I've always wanted to use a Volt driver for a sub project but can't seem to find any examples. Are they difficult to design with or are they just expensive? What enclosure would best suit them?

I'm also confused about the Xmax specs as their webiste quotes 5.2mm for the 3143 yet also states "Maximum Excursion 30mm (before damage)" further up the page. The 5.2mm figure seemed a little low for a 12" woofer when compared to other drivers.

Any comments?

Nice woofers but a little costly for what you get, the linear excursion is 5.2mm which is not very good truth be told, the 30mm is the Xmech when the coil hits the rear plate and this will make the coil fall of the former and jam the B field.

Other woofers are not quoting true linear travel, the are just quoting travel, thats not good either.

You would need a lot of power to distor a Volt, from what i know Volt like vented enclosures but i dont like vented boxes.

How much power do you have to play with? what size of room do you have?

Power will be from a plate amp so anything from 250W to 500W.

I have a long narrow room that leads straight onto my staircase so there's a fair amout of volume to excite. I think the main part of the room is 9'x16'.

I really just like the look and quality of the Volts. I'm more intrigued than anything.

You have some decent power, is that rating for 8 ohms or 4 ohms, volts are normally 8 ohms.

There is another UK company call ATC, they have very linear bass units, you would need more than 500 watts for them, found in studios.

I like one or two of volts woofers, they made a name supplying companies like REL and making PA woofers.

How high is your ceiling? you room is quite long but not to long i would say, how many windows? do you have a chimey flu? all these things affect sound in a brick house i noticed.

I know about finding out first hand, get one and find out personally how it does for you, you can always sell it on and only lose half your money or maybe less if you sell on ebay, thats the only reason i got a computer, to buy some car parts on ebay for my garage.

I've just measured my room properly and it's 270"x108"x92" (LxWxH). There are two windows, one the full size of the end of the room (108"x92") and another that is 35"x90".

I think buying a Volt would be quite costly so I'll look about a bit too. What is it particularly that you don't like about ported enclosures? I'm still trying to decide what would be best for me and would appreciate your opinion.

Oh, and I just checked. That 500W is into 4Ohms so I'd assume 250-300W into 8. Is that enough for the Volt?

Thanks.

sjalloq said:
I've just measured my room properly and it's 270"x108"x92" (LxWxH). There are two windows, one the full size of the end of the room (108"x92") and another that is 35"x90".

I think buying a Volt would be quite costly so I'll look about a bit too. What is it particularly that you don't like about ported enclosures? I'm still trying to decide what would be best for me and would appreciate your opinion.

Oh, and I just checked. That 500W is into 4Ohms so I'd assume 250-300W into 8. Is that enough for the Volt?

Thanks.

Of the top of my balled head thats 1500 cubic feet, thats is one long room, your ceiling is only 8 foot? i as told UK houses have 14 feet ceilings? is that just yap yap?

500 watts at 4 ohms is very powerful, enough for a Volt.

I do not dislike all ported designs, some companies get the design right others just port to get boom, i hate boom, all the Impala and low riders want me to make them boom boxes, its a major turn off.

Why don't you just call or e-mail all those companies in the UK and tell them you want a subwoofer for your project, you guys are lucky you live on an island with so many quality companies around you that make really nice woofers, i know i would do that but shipping cost to the USA are very expensive on heavy items i was told.

Any reason you recommend Precision Devices? I've never heard of them. And what's with linking to a 24" driver! :)

One point though, they don't quote Xmax. Is "Displacement limit" the same? This is quoted as 36mm for the 24" model.

Edit: those PD drivers all have really low Qts values which means they're best suited to horn type enclosures right. Out of my league building one of those. I think I'm tending toward a sealed or passive radiator enclosure.

That driver is nice in a sealed or porter or passive radiator enclosure, don't worry about it.

The 21" is rated at Xmax = 12mm, I guess the 24" should be the same. They also sell more reasonable drivers hehe! Don't know the pricing.

Any reason for Precision Devices? Well, about the only company in UK besides Peerless who sells drivers that can be accurately called subwoofers.

Dam a 24 inch driver, you are like those kids that come into my garage with 24 or even 26 inch rims,bigger is not always better esp if you hit a kerb:bawling: this is what i see when i tell them its toast, it maybe cool for a stage show or concert, not in a home:eek: the sound output would be to much and besides the drivers impedance is 8 to 16 ohms, he will not get the max from his amplifier and waste its deepest reserves of power.

There are so many companies these days its hard to hear of them all, if the product is good and they know what there talking about thats all you need.

The peerless is a nicer driver and a better load, maybe two of them in a push pull subwoofer would suit your application.

I agree with your sealed system, it really gives a nice fast sound that does not dominate music and i mean music.

The excursion is lowish on that Peerless, i am sure, I saw an XL version that have twice the excursion, something like 32mm X max, thats like 16mm each way, thats plenty from a 12 inch in a home.

I can e-mail you a list of companies in the UK that sell drive units, i have bought lots of speakers from the UK for people that needed drive unit, i have the names and address written down in my office, after work i can send them too you if you like.

Puggie said:
I wouldn't have any problems calling the Volts 'subwoofers' even their 10" B2500.1 can be coaxed into some serious rumble in a TL enclosure. Volts are great drivers, as are PD.

What is a PD?

You can get low extension bass from almost any woofer in a transmission line enclosure, there just really fiddle to get right, i dont know anybody that has it down cold, you just got to get lucky;) or have a manual.

I like volt too, but i think they double in price when they hit the US and i dont like being played.

Wilmislow is a shop in the UK that sell volt, i called them once a long time ago, they dont shipped the US and i could not really understand the guy he sounded like Huge Grand but even more english.

Puggie meant Precision Devices when he said PD, the manufacturer of that 24" driver.

As for the price of the Volts, they are still quite expensive over here so maybe it's not the best driver for a first project.

One thing that I am confused about is how to tell what enclosure is best suited to a driver. So far I've been going from the following description of Qts, but it doesn't stack up when you look at the Peerless XLS 830500 12" for example. That has a Qts of 0.2 yet people still use it in a sealed enclosure?? I'm totally confused. How do I chose a driver based on it's T/S parameters?

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sbc/sbc5.htm

Thanks.

I have never chosen a driver based only on its T/S measurements, that would be like buying a sports car based on its technical specification which tell you nada about how it will handle on a race track like Laguna Seca.

A few things i look for just to give me a ruff idea is Kms, Le(i) and (x) and in Bl(x) if it's a subwoofer. Everything esle tells you very little about a drivers sound quality.

I normally look at the suspension check the coil displacement with voltage and tap on the cone to hear how silent it is and what type of tone it has, aluminium is the only one i can't tap on, its so rigid that tapping on it tells me very little apart from how thick it is;)

I think that page you linked to is a general page of what too look for, its not saying this is a must, maybe i did not read it correctly,
the size of the room will affect the woofer and enclosure so its something which needs to be taken into account, esp if its a ported enclosure.

Sabre international sell Volt stuff too, try them for prices. We find a lot of US stuff gets silly expensive nce you ship it over here. The Volt radial basket is very nice, we have put well over 1kW into their 15" PA midbass for hours at a time, and only ever had one fail (well it scratches a little but still works).

email me if you want any volt drivers ;)

I have the 21" Precision Devices, must get around to fitting it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Another Volt fan here.

I've used the B2500.1, B250.8 and 15" Radial R3863.

I've actually had 3x R3863's but now only have 2x waiting for a suitable project.

TBH they aren't subwoofers in the truest sense. Even the 15" R3863's are weak below 30hz and they absolutely need a ported cabinet. They aren't intended to knock out 20hz cycles or go flat 18hz, instead they concentrate on world class performance from 30hz up and they stretch to frequencies way higher than any 'subwoofer' could claim.

Perhaps the shining star in Volts lineup (the ones I've tried anyway) would be the 2500.1. This speaker in a 3-way sounds incredible, definitely not intended for playing below 30hz though.

If your looking for a top-of-the-line woofer for use with music then the Volts are hard to beat at any price. But for home theater and true infrasonic house shaking bass they are dissapointing and if that's what your after then I'd suggest an 18" Adire Tumult.

Its already been mentioned on here but ATC are perhaps the best driver house in the world IMO. I've tried their midrange domes and the short voice coil version of their 9" woofer. All raised the bar for what I expect from a driver in its particular band. Which makes me eager to try their 12" or 15" bass drivers but be warned - they are even more expensive than the Volts. And the full spec '4" diameter, short coil' 15" is around £450. From all reports that I've heard its one of the best available though.

I keep hearing great thing about PD drivers too. Although, again, they aren't intended to go super deep and are more akin to Volt from a design philosophy stand point.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The 15" Tumult is designed to work well in a sealed enclosure of around 2.5-3cuft. The Tumult has bags of headroom so the possibility to use EQ to boost up the low end is entirely possible, so acheiving flat output to 20hz is doable and with low distortion.

I've never heard the Tumult per-se but have owned a RE XXX 15v3 which is has an identical XBL2 motor and basket but the cone material and VC is different. It was superb with movies but only so-so with music.

ShinOBIWAN said:

I've used the B2500.1, B250.8 and 15" Radial R3863.

TBH they aren't subwoofers in the truest sense. Even the 15" R3863's are weak below 30hz and they absolutely need a ported cabinet.

The 15 Radial R3863 is a big evil looking woofer if i ever saw one, that exso-chassis is a nice idea, do they get warm?

Kinda mean of you to say Volt dont make subwoofers? some young people may think your saying there no good, any woofer in enclosure not designed to give deep bass wont, not really the drivers fault, if your just saying Volt dont have the biggest excursion then thats something else, i would take a volt over a bigger excursion woofer 7 out of 10, Atc being another King Pin from the UK, but there even more expensive i think?

You have to be fair and say Volt came from PA and it's good they been true too their core, most companies flip there woofer ranger like BK flip burgers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.