Best sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One that gets very loud down to 20Hz if you want to feel everything. Consider the content in tracks that ventures below 40Hz for DnB and dubstep doesn't happen very often, even less below 30Hz, but it does happen. Question is how much do you want to invest for that extra little feeling that only happens occasionally? Things get very expensive (dollars and real estate) to reproduce below 30Hz especially for PA work. For PA build a few of these - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html and buy a high power amp. For home, several small sealed subs will do. There is no best sub, only best for your application, budget, and space. More data required.

a good friend of mine said that scoops give the best sub bass and 4 would just be silly for 100 poeple. Is he right ? There's some pre-made scoops on the net and they dont that much really.
There are huge scoop designs that go low, but the usual JBL single and double 15 scoops fall off like a rock at about 50 Hz, an octave above the real low stuff.
The JBL scoop design also has a "hole" in the upper response (can't remember exactly where, but around 100 hz IIRC) that makes it seem louder down low than it is.

The scoop response was OK for much of last century's reggae and rock, but won't cut it for dubstep.

I have some front loaded dual Lab 12 cabinets for sale (for about the cost of the speakers and shipping) that do well down to 30 Hz, or plans if you want to make them yourself.

They have a small footprint (22.5 x 26.5 x 22.5) and can be stacked four high easy.

For dubstep, you could plug one port and drop the tuning even lower, but with less efficiency.

If you want to get low and loud below 35 Hz, it will take a really big tapped horn like the Gjallerhorn.

If 35 Hz is low enough for you, the Keystone TH does quite well.

A pair of the dual Lab 12 or a Keystone are smaller than a JBL SRX 728, and have similar LF output.

Art Welter

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
''I have some front loaded dual Lab 12 cabinets for sale (for about the cost of the speakers and shipping) that do well down to 30 Hz, or plans if you want to make them yourself. ''

Where are you based :) > ?

Madrid, New Mexico, just south of Santa Fe.

It is different here than in the Disney movie "Wild Hogs" :D.

PM me and I'll give you info and pricing etc.

Art

Ah am in the UK :(

I do really fancy / like the idea of building something but what would be an esy first build (i've never done this before)
Bass reflex cabinets are the easiest cabinets to build.
There are many tall single fold TH designs that are almost as simple to build as BR, they just have one extra piece inside compared to a BR.
In some respects, an easier build, as there are no port holes to cut, and no ports to glue in.
TH will require delay to blend optimally with the top cabinets, an extra expense if you don't have DSP.

One thing will be true in every design, the lower the frequency response, the less the output will be for a given volume.

If space is at a premium (usually is in a 100 capacity club) bass reflex will actually put out slightly more SPL for a given volume (liters or cubic feet) than TH, but will require more cones and power.

b&c 21 tH

b&c 21 TH.jpg

Size (48x61X25)

never been built.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.