Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2005, 11:17 AM   #1
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Super regulated power supply

I have made a power supply, 230/115 VAC in and plus, minus 5-30 V out if the right transformer is chosen that is.

Picture here

I'm sure some people will ask things that I have tested. So far I have tested with load, both resisitive and capacitive. From what I can see the regulator is uncontionally stable with AD825 as opamp and used at it's full speed. At the picture 2 x 15 V transformer is used and this is not optimal together with a preregulator AND 15 volts out. I'll guess 13-14 V is max to take out max current from the transformer. I will test 2 x 18 VAC later.
Old 14th October 2005, 06:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any opinions?
Old 14th October 2005, 07:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Excellent work peranders, as usual. I always wonder what would happend if we use another LM as prepreregulator as in datasheet. Or design a super shunt regulator as Stax use to

Best, a
Old 14th October 2005, 07:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I see no problem to use an another LM317/337 compatible regulator but I'll doubt the techncial need for it because the main job is done by the super regulator and this LM317 is just an add-on.
Old 14th October 2005, 08:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cool stuff Per. If it weren't SMD, I might be more interested Not that I won't do SMD when I have to, I just find through-hole much quicker and more convenient to assemble.
Old 14th October 2005, 09:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'll guess you by this statement haven't looked at the picture? See the first post.
Old 14th October 2005, 07:26 PM   #7
Botch is offline Botch  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Peranders,

Looks very nice indeed and I want to understand it further. Just started to read the description on your website and think you may have written it using a different schematic to the one that can be downloaded. Most of the references to resisters are different when comparing the schematic to the description.

i.e from the 2nd paragraph in the Circuit description:
"The reference voltage is filtered by R7 and C7, C8 in order to remove the noise..."

From my interpertation of the schematic I downloaded that should be R8 and C7, C8.

I'm just letting you know as the description is rather good otherwise. I'm just trying to just come to grips with understanding the Jung supply principles.

Cheer,

Botch...
Old 14th October 2005, 08:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Forget about the text at the moment. Only the pdf's are correct but a few corrections may be done later. R4, E4 should be 1 kohms if a LM431 is used.
Old 14th October 2005, 09:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
I'll guess you by this statement haven't looked at the picture? See the first post.
Sorry Per Anders.. I just assumed there would be more SMD lurking in there, since you're semi-notorious for it. It's a cool board, and since the only SMD devices are the opamps, I think that would make it much more appealing (unless I'm missing ones that are on the bottom of the board or something).

You'll have to excuse my previous post -- I was pretty dang tired when I wrote it
Old 14th October 2005, 10:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

As you can see you can use DIL08 opamps too. The only thing which is SMD are the snubber resistors. You can skip those if you want.

Hide this!Advertise here!