Super regulated power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I think in terms of bang for buck performance and ease of use I'd go with Peranders boards.

In terms of performance the 317 is slightly better than a 7805, but the super regulators are considerably better than both, I can't think of a single area of improvement I didn't like. I think it's something you have to try in order to appreciate.

I haven't gone to the absolute nth degree to find better earthing etc, but I would say I'm perfectly happy to leave the cd player as is.

I tried a few different opamps (lm6171 sounded flat), ad817 sounded dry, but nothing had the overall livleyness of the ad825.

Thanks
Raja

Raj1 said:
I tried a few different opamps (lm6171 sounded flat), ad817 sounded dry, but nothing had the overall livleyness of the ad825.
If you try faster opamps than AD825 you must verify this not only by listening tests. The regulator may oscillate without your knowledge. An oscilloscope is a minumum to confirm or deny this.

It's also important that the used opamp can handle the voltages in mind and also has a predictable start up och power down performance.

Hi PA,

Yes you are right, correct measuring equipment is required. Interestingly enough the slew rate of the lm6171 isn't so fast at 5v. Maybe that's why I got away with it. All other things being considered, the ad825 is a very safe and brilliant sounding opamp, and seems to work well under a wide range of voltages in this application.

I could not be happier with the results, thanks for the support, and a great product.

Thanks
Raja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.