Variable PS question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I breadboarded the attached variable ps from redcircuits, Variable DC Power Supply - RED - Page36. I didn't have Q1 BC182 or Q3 BC212 so I substituted 2N5401 / 5551. The transformer is a 17-0-17, 4.7A toroid. Everything else was the same as the schematic. I'm not sure if I'm testing it properly. I hooked it up to a 100 watt light bulb and put my voltmeter across the output and another DMM set to mA in series with the light bulb. I have a reading of 20 vdc and ~ 330 mA with both pots turned fully cw. Is a light bulb a suitable load? Is it common practice to short the output to measure current or is that a bad idea. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Attachments

• Variable PS.jpg
    Variable PS.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 57
A 100 watt AC incandescent bulb is not a suitable load.
Shorting the output isn't really a good idea either, unless specifically testing that function of the power supply circuit.
24V @ 2A is 12 ohms and 48 watts. Do you have power resistors to make that value?
Realistically, you probably can't get a full 24V out with your transformer.
The 0.7V low end spec is suspect also.
If you have any 12VDC halogen bulbs handy those would make good test loads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.