how to know transformer power rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems obvious that the closer the transformer is to actual 10% regulation, the closer the VA approximation will be to the actual VA spec. Accent on approximation.
All they have is the ARRL method to rely on and I claim it is NOT a useful guide.

BTW, one of the results in the above examples is getting close to the VA rating and would be a good first guess at the VA rating. Any ideas on which one?
Maybe the ARRL would be more interested in your quiz than I.
I only posted the information as an option, not a mandate.

It seems obvious that the closer the transformer is to actual 10% regulation, the closer the VA approximation will be to the actual VA spec. Accent on approximation.

Maybe the ARRL would be more interested in your quiz than I.
I only posted the information as an option, not a mandate.

neither am i interested in his quiz, we are not his pupils, he is not our teacher......:D

ARRL has a wealth of experience that we can bank on, they are into doing things, rather that telling people what to do or think...:D

I do not keep unknown transformers with multiple secondaries.

As mentioned above, you have to make guesses as to the power distribution between secondary windings.

IMHO the only reason to keep a multiple winding "unknown" transformer is if you are going to take the secondaries out of it and wind your own. (or use it for very light loads).

If I have any good saved transformer, I first search on the net for its ratings if it has a part no. or I simply use it for much lower currents I can guess from its size. For multiple secondaries, guessing will be very difficult as the winding u want to use might be very thin.

If you want to remove a transformer from some discarded equipment, never discard the remaining parts as u can guesss the VA rating from this load much better than any guesses.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.