how to know transformer power rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am aware of two quite different methods of specifying transformer VA.
If the transformer and the specification is unknown then we can never know which of these two methods has been applied.

Method 1.
specify the VA to reach a specified maximum operating temperature.

Method 2.
specify the VA to reach a specified transformer regulation.

There may be other ways to specify VA.
I am very inclined to agree with Gmp
you will never know the correct VA

How to know transformer power rating of an unknown transformer power rating?

if you can do an open circuit test and a short circuit test and then add the two powers together taking into consideration that small traffos have efficiencies in the 90% range, then you will have a ballpark rating...

the other consideration is temp rise, how hot are you willing to operate your traffo....

from RDH4,

VA =(5.58 x A)^2
where A = core area in square inches, center leg x stacking height x stacking factor, (0.9 to 0.95)

note that results are at best estimates, power capacity really depends on how hot you are willing to work your traffos on...

if you can do an open circuit test and a short circuit test and then add the two powers together taking into consideration that small traffos have efficiencies in the 90% range, then you will have a ballpark rating...

the other consideration is temp rise, how hot are you willing to operate your traffo....

AJT - can you describe the short and open circuit tests you referenced?

the picture is self explanatory...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_circuit_test

500px-Short_Circuit_test.jpg

this is a test result...http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AN-104115.pdf

you can connect the dots to give you the idea...;)

short circuit tests lets you apply the rated primary current without burning out your traffo...

if you do not know rated primary current, you can make engineering guesses, that is why i say,
if you have not done this before be very careful...

Are you confirming that we do not need to measure the short circuit current, i.e. the current in the shorted winding?

Is it correct to state that we only need to measure the primary conditions during the shorted secondary test?

andrew, i suggest you read up more on that topic...get yourself some electrical engineering books for more information...
you will see that you need not ask these questions...

The ARRL Handbook recommends this procedure:
"The current rating of the [secondary] windings can be determined by loading each winding with the primary connected directly to the ac line. Using power resistors, increase loading on each winding until its voltage drops by about 10% from the no-load figure. The current drawn by the resistors is the approximate winding load-current rating."

The ARRL Handbook recommends this procedure:
"The current rating of the [secondary] windings can be determined by loading each winding with the primary connected directly to the ac line. Using power resistors, increase loading on each winding until its voltage drops by about 10% from the no-load figure. The current drawn by the resistors is the approximate winding load-current rating."
I read that in my ARRL and immediately discarded the method as "completely flawed".

eg.
suppose you have a 23% regulation transformer with 4 equal secondaries.
Load all four windings until all 4 drop by 10%. Are you near the VA rating of the transformer?

Next load just one secondary until it drops by 10%. Are you near the VA rating of that winding, or near the VA rating of the transformer?

Now try the method on a 3.5% regulation two secondary transformer.
Load one winding to the -10% voltage, load both windings to the -10%.
You have two results. Are either of them close to the VA rating of the winding, or to the VA rating of the transformer?

Someone who is unfamiliar with transformer VA ratings and how to estimate them will be lost with any of these results. He/she will have no idea whether they have arrived at a good estimate. All they have is the ARRL method to rely on and I claim it is NOT a useful guide.

BTW, one of the results in the above examples is getting close to the VA rating and would be a good first guess at the VA rating. Any ideas on which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.