Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 07:31 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostevus View Post
Fascinating!
Looking forward to your plots of various power supplies and regulators
They are in the last edition (Volume 4) of Jan Didden's Linear Audio bookzine. Jan put them up on his site:

Online Articles
Old 12th January 2013, 12:27 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Ah, that's sort of funny.

I ordered a copy of the magazine some time ago, indeed in particular for that article. Unfortunately, i moved to another country 2 days before the magazine made it to my old address. Since then i am trying to get the new owners of the house to send me the mag, but it seems it somehow got lost...
Old 14th January 2013, 10:51 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

@studiostevus
Sorry for OT, I want to send you a pm but your box is full.
Old 18th January 2013, 07:09 PM   #34
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

I've built sort of an advanced capacitor strip striving for low and flat impedance.

Click the image to open in full size.
The "PCB", 40mm x 40mm is size, is an attempt to avoid making a real PCB while still having the same properties like a real square array of caps. It is made from two sheets of rather thick 200m (8mil) copper foil spaced with a thin paper insulation of about the same thickness. This offers very low impedance paths for the rows of capacitors soldered along the edges, 22pcs. total, each 33uF/63V, being only moderate ESR but low ESL types (which is crucial). They were choosen because they were at hand and had the favorable, low inductance 2.5mm lead spacing.

Then some bigger caps (5x 2200F/50V) are attached to that with a short piece of cabling selected in resistance to match the total ESR of the array (which was arbitrary decision for "good looks", at lower audio freqs one might whish to reduce supply impedance as much as possible. Total capacitance is about 11,000F.

On the analyser, impedance looks like this :
Note while not being super low in absolute terms with a baseline of about 20..30 miliohms, the nice thing is that this impedance stays flat up to 5MHz, the region of interest of typical (chip-type) power amplifiers. No resonances coming from paralleling the "wrong" film caps are seen, only an inductive rise above the bandwidth where it cannot cause harm. Residual inductance looks to be less than 1nH.

The supply characteristic of this composite capacitor should be excellent, high-frequency currents (from the half-wave rectification of load currents when class-B is entered) cannot exite any disturbing resonances.

To me, this kind of arrangement (paralled 'lytics, no film types) looks like being a very good local decoupling scheme for chipamps. By doubling up everything impedance graph can be shifted down another 6dB (0.5x) per doubling whenever levels below 10mR should be needed at RF frequencies (>100kHz)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SuperCapStrip1.jpg (95.4 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg SuperCapStrip1_IMP.jpg (142.5 KB, 217 views)
Old 18th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #35
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice, Klaus.

A 2-sided PCB for that would not require any etching. You would just need to drill the holes for one of each of the capacitor leads and then use a larger bit of some sort, in your drill, to remove a small ring of copper from around the edge of the hole for each cap, so one lead could go to the bottom side of the board without being able to contact the top-side copper. The leads on the top side would just be bent flat against the copper (after cutting to a reasonable length), and soldered. Just cut the leads on the bottom side to one cm or so, bend over to be flat against the copper, and solder.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:19 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Tom,

I'll probably use your method once the final types of small electros that I've ordered are here, then some bigger but space-efficient arrays have to be built. For this amount of paralled parts the edge-mount method becomes inefficient (it would require a stacked set of "cap sheets" paralleled again, sounds quite awkward).

For small test builds the edge mounting provides some flexibility, though... ease of desoldering the caps etc.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:51 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Today for something different and quite exiting : Inductance Cancellation of Filter Capacitors.

In an IEEE paper from 2004 [1] a technique is described how to lower the apparent ESL of a filter capacitor (three terminals; in, ground, out) by means of coupled inductances. This creates a negative inductance counteracting the capacitor intrinsic and wiring inductance, alongside with producing higher input/output inductance (not a bat thing) and more radiated magnetic and electric field energy at RF frequencies (less so).

I always wanted to try that in real life and now with the network analyzer allowing me to visualize and adjust this kind of things I did some quick&dirty test builds, based on the center-tapped inductor method following the paper guidelines and some SPICEing.

First I tried a spiral coil together with a 1000uF/50V electrolytic, after a some time of tweaking the input and ouput attach points it looked like this :

Three-terminal transfer function (@75R I/Os) plot of cap alone vs. full network :
Scaling is choosen to coincide with the two-terminal impedance measurements and reading dB ref 1 Ohm.
Note : above 20Mhz or so plots look suspicious/unreliable from both the lousy build (in RF terms) as well as the analyser not being normalized (normalization turned out to be problematic when the full 6 decade frequency span is used in log freq mode with the analyser on the edge of it's capabilites).

The low/flat region extends one decade higher which I found quite remarkable. At the cursor position (6Mhz) the difference in attenuation is 22dB, more than 10x. I suspect the higher ESR comes from the weak solder joint at one of the cable shields.

The effect is *extremely* sensitive to tiny geometry changes and nearby metal parts etc. Misadjusted it easily just gets worse than the plain cap. That is the weak point of any cancellation methods.

Next try, a 4700/63 bigger can (30mm dia.) with a tubular coil. The tubular coil turned out to be much easier to adjust than the spiral one in both total inductance, balancing (50:50) and mutual coupling.

With a little trick I could arrive at the follwing plot :
The trick was to insert a small steel core (pliers, ie) which made the flat section really horizontal. With air core, there was a slightly upwards slope from 100kHz to 5Mhz like in the previous plot. Unclear about the exact mechanism behind it (eddy currents / skin effects helping here?) and whether the improvement would hold in an actual supply filter circuit with high power signals and DC current present.

Anyway, again at 10x improvement at RF in filter attenuation is seen, not bad for two turns of copper wire in such a simple experimental setup. This thing really seems to work when implemented properly (note that at least part of it might be patented in the US by the inventors and the MIT, last time I checked I found notes indicating this).

[1] Filters and Components With Inductance Cancellation,
Timothy C. Neugebauer, Student Member, IEEE, Joshua W. Phinney, Student Member, IEEE, and
David J. Perreault, Member, IEEE,
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRY APPLICATIONS, VOL. 40, NO. 2, MARCH/APRIL 2004, Pg. 483ff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inductance_Cancelling.jpg (66.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Inductance_Cancelling_IMP.jpg (103.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Inductance_Cancelling2.jpg (95.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Inductance_Cancelling2_IMP.jpg (35.0 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by KSTR; 24th January 2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 24th January 2013, 11:49 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Looks like you are getting some value out of the network analyser.
Though it probably will not have any effect at these frequencies, feeding the capacitor array from the centre will have a lower impedance than feeding it from the edge.
I use double sided board for this type of work and drill the holes, you can buy little copper rivets to make via's which are used on one capacitor lead to pass it through to the top side of the circuit board. No etching required.
Using such a technique it is easy to pepper a circuit board with capacitors. Large capacitor banks for industrial SMPS's are done the same way except the vias are not needed because the screw terminal post makes contact with the top side.
That centre tapped inductor idea is neat.
Old 25th January 2013, 04:07 AM   #39
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
Looks like you are getting some value out of the network analyser.
Though it probably will not have any effect at these frequencies, feeding the capacitor array from the centre will have a lower impedance than feeding it from the edge.
I use double sided board for this type of work and drill the holes, you can buy little copper rivets to make via's which are used on one capacitor lead to pass it through to the top side of the circuit board. No etching required.
Using such a technique it is easy to pepper a circuit board with capacitors. Large capacitor banks for industrial SMPS's are done the same way except the vias are not needed because the screw terminal post makes contact with the top side.
That centre tapped inductor idea is neat.
The low impedance needs to be seen by the load, not the feed point. How would feeding at the center of the cap array benefit the load? And where would the load be attached?

Also, why would vias be needed? Terry Given just drilled a single hole for each cap, and removed the copper from the rim of the hole (with a Dremel-type tool, with some larger bit), on the component side, so one lead from each cap could go to the other side without shorting to the component-side copper. I guess I don't understand how you are using the vias. Isn't one side power and the other side ground?
Old 25th January 2013, 07:45 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
The low impedance needs to be seen by the load, not the feed point. How would feeding at the center of the cap array benefit the load? And where would the load be attached?
I thought this was a measurement of the properties of a capacitor array. The load is another matter, for low impedance work the load and the capacitors are in very close proximity on the same ground and supply planes,
Quote:
Also, why would vias be needed?
How would you solder to the top supply plane? If using RB/BL capacitors there is no access for the soldering iron between the top plane and the capacitor lead. So you drill the holes and install the rivets which are soldered to the top plane only, clearance is cut on the bottom plane so that the rivets do not become vias Then the capacitor leads are inserted, one goes though the pcb and is soldered to the bottom plane the other goes though the hollow rivet and is soldered to it forming the connection to the top plane

Hide this!Advertise here!