DPS-600 fast regulated smps for Wire-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• DPS600-Slide.jpg
    DPS600-Slide.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,414
Hey AP2, nice one! here we can also hope to avoid the anti 'SMPS' brigade and talk about the supplies to our hearts content, without worrying about devoting too much space to it.

ok i'll start, I guess i'll be the first to have one of these in this version in the wild, so i'll update with pics asap. The package is due Tuesday and my amps are mostly soldered, just waiting on these.

can we please have
the datasheet, or the below specs, pretty much in order of importance

• the pin mapping of all connectors
• connector part numbers
• dimensions
• control commands/voltages
• mounting arrangements
• thermal impedance and capacity of the onboard heatsink
• expected dissipation at full power
• expected dissipation at idle
• the same specifications for DPS500, despite our dramas if this performs as intended and the rest of the GB goes well, I would still be looking to get 1 or 2 DPS500. the dps500 is universal voltage yes? will accept 110-130v/220-260v?

is the heatsink isolated or live? I expect isolated

thanks!

Last edited:
thanks!! no problem, just thought you might need a little poke about the datasheet.

the above is a great start and certainly enough to get going with, combined with our xbee wifi sensors it looks as though protection and automation pretty much covered, sweet!

Thanks Roberto, I'll be picking my DPS600 up from qusp this week some time and hopefully start working on automation connection to a controller for whole system powerup/down and monitoring some time towards the end of the week. I won't have amps for a while but am keen to start working with these so that the whole lot is ready to go together when I do get around to building the amps later in the year.

Roberto, I know the cables are included, but as youde guess, I have my own favorites for wire, can you tell me the part numbers for the main input and output connectors? the input is screw terms yes? cant see the inputs from the pics.

Hi,
we work with this family of connectors.
350766-1 Product Details - TE
this show output DC connector (incluse in package)
no problem in years.
yes, pic show input AC connectors (no screw). use 2 pin

Update GB:

collected by ups ,some delivered:
Lolo;Qusp;hochopeper,johnwallis,QRikard;BuildMeSomething.

packages closed,ticket sended,start today:
Igor;Kiwi;Emphrygian;

Delayed two days:
arthur;NicMac.

A bit of patience, we are at end of GB
Regards

yep I expect our package any minute. good Work AP2, youve picked up the pace =).

the amp connectors are good, ive used them before, i'll have to get some extra connectors to make my own cables and may do something silly like replace with the gold plated versions for 14-10awg wires. either that or use your supplied cables for testing, then hardwire.

is the second package for me on the way? not pressuring btw, just curious; as i'll also be able to use their power pass through to power my second pair of the wire amps, which should provide a good basis for subjective comparison also

Last edited:
yep I expect our package any minute. good Work AP2, youve picked up the pace =).

the amp connectors are good, ive used them before, i'll have to get some extra connectors to make my own cables and may do something silly like replace with the gold plated versions for 14-10awg wires. either that or use your supplied cables for testing, then hardwire.

is the second package for me on the way? not pressuring btw, just curious; as i'll also be able to use their power pass through to power my second pair of the wire amps, which should provide a good basic for subjective comparison also

Hi Jeremy, ah..then your drenaline is out of range ahah!
yes , i feel a bit of peace now, (if i not see a muntain of other job's) eheh!
I hope you not mean "cable" as wired connectors. package include only all connectors.
Amp for you, start today or tomorrow. (i remember that ,becouse is new of production), have limit in band. reason is qty we supply at one company for voice professional use.
We not push this amplifier, as you see. i want you try very well in all performances, i think you have surprises eheh!

ahh no, thats good I prefer that its only connectors! I have plenty of wire for the cables.
this was not clear, hochopeper was confused also, we both thought you meant cables, but its not a big deal I prefer it this way.

hows this for an annoying failure, I waited around this afternoon for the package, it goes most of the way around the world, seemingly taking the scenic route and then …

Brisbane, Australia 17/07/2012 16:59 Mechanical failure occurred / Package will be delivered next business day.
:mad:

it must have been literally minutes away from my house.
didnt even get an email either, not pleased with that.

btw..my frustration was never about being in a rush, but yes i'm less uptight now after blowing off steam and knowing all is in motion. you are also less pressured so less likely to react, so its all good =)

besides now I have a new target, UPS!!! breakdowns are unexpected, thats cool, but given they scanned it and didnt update me; thats pretty poor service.

very happy to not get a band limited amp, I would have thought I broke it, or it broke my system :eek:

Last edited:
ahh no, thats good I prefer that its only connectors! I have plenty of wire for the cables.
this was not clear, hochopeper was confused also, we both thought you meant cables, but its not a big deal I prefer it this way.

hows this for an annoying failure, I waited around this afternoon for the package, it goes most of the way around the world, seemingly taking the scenic route and then …

:mad:

it must have been literally minutes away from my house.
didnt even get an email either, not pleased with that.

btw..my frustration was never about being in a rush, but yes i'm less uptight now after blowing off steam and knowing all is in motion. you are also less pressured so less likely to react, so its all good =)

besides now I have a new target, UPS!!! breakdowns are unexpected, thats cool, but given they scanned it and didnt update me; thats pretty poor service.

very happy to not get a band limited amp, I would have thought I broke it, or it broke my system :eek:

you still have those old trucks... perhaps after the war? ahahah!
sorry, i joke. strange...ups have big force in the world.
first reason i remove from package amp. now i set flat 10Hz--40Khz (-3dB) and only 1dB from 4R to open load @40Khz :)

no I think they must be pulled by ponies, they mean it when they say horsepower over here. maybe they ran out of carrots?

should be interesting the amp. can you tell me how much power is available in the power supply pass through output in addition to powering the onboard amp with say 200W? what voltage?

no I think they must be pulled by ponies, they mean it when they say horsepower over here. maybe they ran out of carrots?

should be interesting the amp. can you tell me how much power is available in the power supply pass through output in addition to powering the onboard amp with say 200W? what voltage?
eheh!
better explain MDA-400: on board realizze one dps-400(psu)+ one SDA-400 with power supply bus for other one SDA400. i send you setup as well,240w(4R).(with bus for +/-53V and +/-20V aux) then is possible supplies one sda-400 module eg. 120w(8R). tipycal for bi-amp use. depeand setup, max power possible on mda-400 (psu section) is 600w. obvius that this module are created for modular system very compact.
this setup i send you, produces quiet 240w at 4r and 420w at 2R without heatsink. absolute clean as 8R. apart is not simple destroyed this amp eheh!
you want try different setup?

Last edited:
yeah I realize that mate, i've understood and youve given me the info I need anyway.

What I want to do is power or at least connect a second pair of 'the wire' aside from the one i'm using the dps600 with, at the same time as the onboard SDA-400. I read that there was this power output for powering a second SDA400 and thought I would try utilizing this connection to make easy and fair comparison between the amps, or to gain an easy extra power supply for testing.

this way I can easily compare subjectively the class D on the SDA400, with the class AB the wire while fed with the same quality psu, as in exactly the same power supply. obviously I would need to supply an extra linear higher voltage supply for the front end of the wire, but thats easily solved.

sounds like a good plan yes?

well here we go!

so Roberto, couple of things, not going to make a big deal about either of them.
• both Chris and I asked for green covers on the power unit, we got black, which is a bit dissappointing, but i'm not going to send mine back for that. a photo at some point would have highlighted this. As soon as I saw the green photos, I sent you an email on the 2nd of June, saying I definitely wanted green, provided it would not cause delay....
• one of the units does not have the main output connector fitted and its not in the bag. this would also have been picked up in a photo.

I dont mind too much, i'll probably hardwire the outputs after testing, but i'll have to use clipleads or something for now.

other than that they were packed well and arrived safe and sound, wont fire them up today, maybe tomorrow

Attachments

• dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1152.jpg
    dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1152.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 587
  • dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1153.jpg
    dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1153.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 548
is the power unit cover replaceable? like could I swap it if you sent me the green ones? I really liked how it made them look even more modern.
how did you test the one with no main output? clip leads or something? maybe you left the second connector off as I asked to leave them off, but not both? haha like I said its not a big deal, just trying to understand.

anyway i'll take this to email. maybe you could send green covered with the amps if they havent gone already.

we'll get back to build and application here, better get something ready to test and clear the bench. keeping the goal in mind. sorry said I wouldnt make a big deal out of it, i'm not, its not a dealbreaker

Last edited:
Hi qusp, I feel that because of the color, you're not happy. I warned hochopeper in a reply email before sending. (please, ceck it) the company that provides the covers for the power unit, had assured the supply, that's why I said that there were no delays for green. Instead, we are left only with the first samples. Unfortunately you can not replace it. the interior is resin, even if you see the nylon screws under the PCB. we can disassemble (18 pin soldered) to remove the power-unit. Also, this new green painting was created for us (with custom Polymer). new delivery date is now late July (i hope) becouse new amplifiers use this. I can change later, the DPS-600 if you want. Also I see professional black matte. yes, i remember you not want connector, remember at 50% haha!
For test, i use with computer bank. connectors to plug interface and software running on all controls, function, current (pulse & continuous system). result is all in the parameter range, including efficiency. well, I still have the instructions for this DPS-600 for you, some important.
...woW! i see very nice smps in your photo :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.