Tony's latest traffo DIY build

Tony,

A better option is to vacuum impregnate the transformer. This removes all of the air gaps but sucking out the air, and replacing with the varnish. This makes the laminations have a much greater adhesion, decreasing audiable noise, and increases the insulation level between windings. This can be done using a wide mouth glass jar and and a vacuum pump (even a manual vacuum pump will work). You pump down the jar with the transformer submerged until you stop seeing bubbles and before the varnish begins to boil. then remove the vaccum. Repeat this process a couple of times.

HI TONY.
one qustion,
when i power on, the power code cable is burned, but before no problem.10a transformer , 220ac, what will be the problem?
in the image the transformer is only for refference .

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
wire up a 50watt incandescent lamp in series with your traffo's primary, disconnect all secondary loads and keep it an open circuit...

if there is a short in your traffo, the lamp will light up fully brightly, this means a primary coil adjacent wire short...

if the lamp does not light, try to short the secondary leads, the lamp should then be fully on, extinguishing when you let go.....in this case look at your rectifier, or some shorted caps....

it can also be that the leads to the power base has become loose and might have touched the wire to the other line side......

Last edited:
wire up a 50watt incandescent lamp in series with your traffo's primary, disconnect all secondary loads and keep it an open circuit...

if there is a short in your traffo, the lamp will light up fully brightly, this means a primary coil adjacent wire short...

if the lamp does not light, try to short the secondary leads, the lamp should then be fully on, extinguishing when you let go.....in this case look at your rectifier, or some shorted caps....

it can also be that the leads to the power base has become loose and might have touched the wire to the other line side......

thanks tony, i will check.

Tony,

A better option is to vacuum impregnate the transformer. This removes all of the air gaps but sucking out the air, and replacing with the varnish. This makes the laminations have a much greater adhesion, decreasing audiable noise, and increases the insulation level between windings. This can be done using a wide mouth glass jar and and a vacuum pump (even a manual vacuum pump will work). You pump down the jar with the transformer submerged until you stop seeing bubbles and before the varnish begins to boil. then remove the vaccum. Repeat this process a couple of times.

thanks techguy,

i am looking for a suitable vessel to do just that.....

traffo for push-pull 6V6 power amp:

core size is 1 1/4 x 2 1/8, turns per volt is 2.84

starting the primary coil:
traffo_1161.jpg

traffo_1165.jpg

finished winding rpimary:
traffo_1166.jpg

starting the secondary coil:
traffo_1167.jpg

traffo_1168.jpg

traffo_1169.jpg

traffo_1173.jpg

traffo_1173-1.jpg

starting the rectifier fimament winding:
traffo_1175.jpg

bias and 6.3volt filament winding:
traffo_1176.jpg

traffo_1177.jpg

leads terminated and final outer wrap done:
traffo_1178.jpg

putting in the laminates:
traffo_1180.jpg

completed traffo:
traffo_1183.jpg

after dipping in varnish, traffo is placed under sunshine for curing:
traffo_1186.jpg

^Thanks.......i have been doing this for the last 30 years......
Hi Tony,
that a long time, I'm not 30 years old yet :)
You really an expert...
please share your experience to beginner like me

I don't see any "inter layer" insulator on this trafo...
Maybe for small trafo it is no need that inter layer insulating?
Then start on how much VA ratting we need to put the inter layer insulator?
Please guide me

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
that a long time, I'm not 30 years old yet :)

I don't see any "inter layer" insulator on this trafo...
Maybe for small trafo it is no need that inter layer insulating?
Then start on how much VA ratting we need to put the inter layer insulator?
Please guide me

Thanks

inter-layer insulation's are mandatory......regardless of power levels....:cool:

i used inter-layer insulation, clear cellophane tapes, in several layers, and pvc plastics cut to size......

i used a dual chamber nylon bobbin, the primary and secondaries are well separated....