Keantoken's CFP cap multiplier

Albert, what ripple frequency?

There is nothing simpler, cheaper, easier and more effective than using some high frequency inductors if you are dealing with frequencies above 100kHz for current less than 1A.

The K-Multiplier is brilliant in dealing with recified mains frequency (100Hz or 120Hz) with ripple reduction of 60dB and so and it provides a low output impedance. Practically no amount of capacitance can get you that much ripple reduction at such a frequency. But then if you are using the Salas reg, the reg is already much better in this area. While the K-Multiplier will work well up to 1MHz, the advantage of using the K-Multiplier is that (1) it doesn't burn as much power as a shunt reg; (2) it has a low voltage drop; (3) it has fairly good low frequency rejection of 60dB or so; and (4) it allows you to throw in any amount of low ESL capacitance at its output to deal with high frequency load.

So different horses for different courses. If you want to use the K Multiplier for some high frequency filtering, I would suggest that you may consider using passive LCR filters instead.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• HV-Kmultiplier BD139 BC337 mod (1).png
    HV-Kmultiplier BD139 BC337 mod (1).png
    114.4 KB · Views: 455
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Merlin

It seems you did it successfully.... please let us know your setup.

Are you using kean circuit before salas shunt ? What current are you using in salas ccs ?

And did you replace smoothing caps in the preregulator ?

Is for my ECC81 mu-follower tube preamp, yes big improvement kean CFP cap multiplier vefore the SSHV2.

Wich pre-regulator: do you refer PSU?

In kean CFP cap multiplier I used Solen MKP 27uF 400V.

Q2 needs to be a PNP! The BD140 is the PNP version, right? Emitter goes to input.

The BC637 is not a version of the BC3x7. If you don't have BC3x7, use BC5xx in the highest gain grade you can find.

and take the C extension

hFE DC current gain IC = -2 mA; VCE = -5 V;
BC556 min 125 - max 475
BC557 min 125 - max 800
BC556A min 125 - max 250
BC556B; BC557B min 220 - max 475
BC557C min 420 - max 800

Albert, what ripple frequency?

There is nothing simpler, cheaper, easier and more effective than using some high frequency inductors if you are dealing with frequencies above 100kHz for current less than 1A.

The K-Multiplier is brilliant in dealing with recified mains frequency (100Hz or 120Hz) with ripple reduction of 60dB and so and it provides a low output impedance. Practically no amount of capacitance can get you that much ripple reduction at such a frequency. But then if you are using the Salas reg, the reg is already much better in this area. While the K-Multiplier will work well up to 1MHz, the advantage of using the K-Multiplier is that (1) it doesn't burn as much power as a shunt reg; (2) it has a low voltage drop; (3) it has fairly good low frequency rejection of 60dB or so; and (4) it allows you to throw in any amount of low ESL capacitance at its output to deal with high frequency load.

So different horses for different courses. If you want to use the K Multiplier for some high frequency filtering, I would suggest that you may consider using passive LCR filters instead.

What I saw on the scope was a jump at the moment of conduction.
As Salas was so kind to tell me, my probes were wrong- having a non-shielded tip; after repairing I did not see the commutation anymore in the output.

In my Salas regulator, I found the CCS module (BC560+0,68 ohm resistor; IRF130) to be rather sensitive to the amount of regulation before the CCS. It could oscillate at the onset of the high inrush; even if the total RMS ripple was less than a volt, it triggered.
With the multiplier as pre-reg, the whole oscillation is gone, I can use wirewound resistor and there is no need to use expensive non-inductive resistors (I for instance have only 0,47 and 3,3 ohms fukushimas).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I found the CCS module (BC560+0,68 ohm resistor; IRF130) to be rather sensitive to the amount of regulation before the CCS. It could oscillate at the onset of the high inrush; even if the total RMS ripple was less than a volt, it triggered.
With the multiplier as pre-reg, the whole oscillation is gone, I can use wirewound resistor and there is no need to use expensive non-inductive resistors (I for instance have only 0,47 and 3,3 ohms fukushimas).

Is that a 1.2R? IRF130 has 650pF Ciss VS 170pF of the designated IRF9610.

Is that a 1.2R? IRF130 has 650pF Ciss VS 170pF of the designated IRF9610.

You are so helpful!
Anyway, with the multiplier in front I see no oscilations anymore (and what you don't is what you haven't got.
[The inverse, - What you see is what you've got - is not true as you pointed out earlier to me, when I was measuring artifacts :)

I have 0,68 for about 850 mA.