Sqeezebox 3 separate powersupplies????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All.

I am about to supply my Squeezebox 3 with a batteri 12V, 7.2Ah -> 5V reg.

The Squeezebox are using 5V, 1A and that is a lot:)

Do any off you ever tried to separate the psu for Digital /analog and display?

The project: supplying digital /analog section from the battery + reg and the display with another ordinary reg!

Please feel free to comment:)

Kim

Hey All.

I am about to supply my Squeezebox 3 with a batteri 12V, 7.2Ah -> 5V reg.

The Squeezebox are using 5V, 1A and that is a lot:)

Do any off you ever tried to separate the psu for Digital /analog and display?

The project: supplying digital /analog section from the battery + reg and the display with another ordinary reg!

Please feel free to comment:)

Kim

you will need BIG battery for display...55V :D
will not comment further, wish you good luck with your project :)

PS: please do some creative Googling before start modifying. Something like this Modifying the Logitech (Slim Devices) SB3. :D

Attachments

• sq3_55V.jpg
    sq3_55V.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
you will need BIG battery for display...55V :D
will not comment further, wish you good luck with your project :)

PS: please do some creative Googling before start modifying. Something like this Modifying the Logitech (Slim Devices) SB3. :D

Stormsonic you are the man:)

Thank you so much

Just a questen though:)

The thumpnail you have attached with the 55V measurement where is that from??

Best regards

55V is power supply for display. There are switchers inside to rise voltage :D
Red clip is "+" rail, green clip is GND.

oh now I see why it uses 1A in current, who make a display for 55V never seen that before:)

Stormsoninc sorry just curios now, have you moded your squezebox?

I am thinking of keeping the standard switcher (230@5V) to supply the switcher for the display and maybe use a super reg /shunt for the other seems possible now:)

Could´n it be great to make a thread with all the modif for a squeezebox?

Best regards

Hi Guys I've very recently split the rails out in my pals SB3. I run 2 PSU's now, one for the display and one for the rest. I ran an decent low noise regulator (SPower) for the main supply (about 500mA) and isolated the display switcher circuits. I fitted and additional socket and ran the display from the original smps. The SB also has several other rails derrived from switcher circuit. There are a couple of regulators up by the large display cap. These are for the dac chip and the opamp output. As the SB is used with an external dac, I seperated the supply to the dac (originally via the 5v reg on the switcher rail) and fed from the new SPower reg. I have not addresed the other rails derrived from the switcher network as they are associated with the opamp output stage. I also installed a sprinkling of OsCon SEPC caps on the digital rails and som ZA's on the analogue. The difference was astounding! You also have the advantage of being able to turn off the display by removing the display PSU with no side effects at all.

If you plan to use the SB with its internal output stage, i'd run 3 seperate rails into the unit.

1x5v for the display only (all ather rails derrived from switcher isolated)
1x5v Low noise type for the remaining 5v requirements
1x12v low noise type for the output stage

Given the level I managed to get my pals SB3 to, I've now got one myself! I'm going to try a few things and also see if I can further seperate the internal PSU's. All of the above 1st, then clock and see where that gets me!

Hi Guys I've very recently split the rails out in my pals SB3. I run 2 PSU's now, one for the display and one for the rest. I ran an decent low noise regulator (SPower) for the main supply (about 500mA) and isolated the display switcher circuits. I fitted and additional socket and ran the display from the original smps. The SB also has several other rails derrived from switcher circuit. There are a couple of regulators up by the large display cap. These are for the dac chip and the opamp output. As the SB is used with an external dac, I seperated the supply to the dac (originally via the 5v reg on the switcher rail) and fed from the new SPower reg. I have not addresed the other rails derrived from the switcher network as they are associated with the opamp output stage. I also installed a sprinkling of OsCon SEPC caps on the digital rails and som ZA's on the analogue. The difference was astounding! You also have the advantage of being able to turn off the display by removing the display PSU with no side effects at all.

If you plan to use the SB with its internal output stage, i'd run 3 seperate rails into the unit.

1x5v for the display only (all ather rails derrived from switcher isolated)
1x5v Low noise type for the remaining 5v requirements
1x12v low noise type for the output stage

Given the level I managed to get my pals SB3 to, I've now got one myself! I'm going to try a few things and also see if I can further seperate the internal PSU's. All of the above 1st, then clock and see where that gets me!

Hey UV101
Thank you so much for your inputs:)

Are you able to make some kind off dokumentation / pictures from your modifications?
I am using the digital out from my Sb3 only
So need some info how to separate the digital psu from the switcher in the SB3 to supply the display
Thinking just to drill a hole in the back of SB3 to lead 2 wires throught there from the super reg tosupply the HCu04.

Did Tentlabs once made a pcb with a "new digital output" to replace an HCU04?

Best regards

Hello all

Great news:)

I was able to split the power supply in two as I asked for in the beginning.

Now I use Switchmode supply for the Display, analog part (draws about 700mA) and a 5V Super reg connected to (U8 3.3V internal reg in squeezebox) which supplies the digital part (300mA)
I sounds very nice, no harsh and digital sound and with a very fine soundstage and small details:)

I use a 9008 1.2 ESdac + Zapfilter 2 + homebuild amplifier + Dantimax "preamplifier set"

Thanks to "stormsonic" who send me link to a page with "squeezebox 3 classic modifications"

Best regards

Last edited:
Just seen this latest post, somehow missed previous ones.

I'm also running split supplies from a purpose built psu. I run a STD 7805 for the display only, a 2nd low noise regulated feed for the bulk of the player and I send 9v unregulated supply for the internal clocks which also runs from their own low noise regs. As I only use an external dac, the on board dac is isolated from the supplies. I'll try to find the photo's ;-)

Ok here's the pics ;)

Should say there are loads of SPEC and other Nichicon solid polymer caps on the digital rails and Rubycon ZA's on any analogue. I could really do with 1 more low noise reg in there but I'm pretty much out of space!! In the external PSU there is a pretty oversized transformer and 2 x 22,000uF Panasonic TSUP's. The PSU is connected to the SB using an inline XLR connector.

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0925-1.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Last edited:
A small update:)

I´m using Elna Silmic II 100uF / 6.3V in output (Sjostrom super reg) and in input U8 regulator inside Squeezebox SB3, on the output of the 3.3V U8 reg I have connected a small red BG N 10uF 50V
(standard SMD 10uF / 16V connected to U8 IN/out removed)
It sounds very nice, sound is balanced with all the details you wish with a bit "dark" high end sound.
Sound is still a little bit "tight" and middleway have a small "soft" sound colour.
But hey the Elnas are brand new:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.