The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Calmart, try page 429 post #4287 of this thread for Reflektor description.

Only if you can cool Q3 with TO-92 minisinks. Its a matter of dissipation for that high Vout. The others in the current mirror don't suffer as much voltage drop.

Salas, please excuse me i wasn't clear with my last question, 2sc2240 or BC639 for cascode CCS? (for Q1,2,3,4 KSA1381 planned).

After quick look at schematic, for R1, approx 23r for 30ma seems right?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not more than 40V max In if you got 2SK170, no more than 30V max In if you got BF245B (470R R4 when with 245B) for J1. 34V out and 24V out respectively. 10K trimmer for R6 connected as rheostat should cover all that range. Won't go lower than about 7 Vout in both cases.

The regulator looks quite flexible. No concerns about minimum or maximum currents?

Good to know about the BF245B, which I think I can get here in Brazil.

What about the IRF types? Some flexibility with them too?

I have to check which ones might be available here. In any case I think the SK170 and those IRF can be found on eBay, probably with the same JC-2 kit vendor.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You got to run extra current for the reg itself remember, its a waster.

Thank again Salas, planned as 3x current needed by load in reg, and 3x reg current need for prefiltering.
I asked about R1 just to be sure about calculation, not missing something from your explanation.

In any case I think the SK170 and those IRF can be found on eBay, probably with the same JC-2 kit vendor.

Be careful about SK170 at the ebay... many many fakes.
Be sure that seller accept return and cash refund and check your whole lot at arrival for Idss as you'll have to do it anyway. If off spec they're fakes so send them back.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
2SK170 is not necessary if the input voltage will not be higher than 30V. A BF245B with that resistor or a BF245A 2-3mA IDSS without or smaller resistor is OK. In general the circuit needs a ~2mA CCS for the PNP transistor that handles R1. Low noise part with enough voltage to handle target Vin and some resistor to cut any excess IDSS in a nutshell.

Minimum current for good output impedance would be 100mA excess on top of what the load asks for. Will work from load+20mA though. If looking for best subjective, load+250mA is nice. Mosfets can take many, but look for those recommended, or near ones, especially for Ciss at the input one, Ciss & gfs datasheet characteristics at the output one.

Minimum current for good output impedance would be 100mA excess on top of what the load asks for. Will work from load+20mA though. If looking for best subjective, load+250mA is nice. Mosfets can take many, but look for those recommended, or near ones, especially for Ciss at the input one, Ciss & gfs datasheet characteristics at the output one.

I thought what you meant here was to minimally load the output for best performance. Was I wrong then?

If anyone has been following the tue preamp threads the super quiet coleman regulator has been used to heat the cathode but also now the cathode resistor, negating the need for a cathode bypass resistor.

For IDHT, has anyone tried using this SSLV regulator to bias a cahtode resistor? May be a good alternative when you need more voltage than an led and don't want to bias the grid ading an input cap/transformer.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, I wasn't intending to use any part for testing.

What I wondered was if I could or should use that part or not, permanently.

You said there are already pcbs done or being done for it? Any pcb designs that I can see? Where?

The project looks simple enough for me to make the pcbs myself or perhaps use some prototype boards.

If you don't care to realize its full you can use them, still decent.
Its brother SSLV1.1 is done on GB, now last round's over. Look for thread ''SSLV1.1 builds & fairytales''.
Use some proto boards, the ''Reflektor'' is safest of all to succeed against makeshift layout.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.