The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking if the isolated heatsinks should be grounded. In that case the heatsinks also serve as EMI shield for the MOSFETs and the circuit board.

Salas,

What do you think?

Also, reading the suggestion of the sense wire connection, I am wondering if I should do it in the same way with my preamp input volume pot - the ground of the volume pot connects to the signal ground in the circuit board via the interconnect shield?????

Thanks,
Bill

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,

What do you think?

Also, reading the suggestion of the sense wire connection, I am wondering if I should do it in the same way with my preamp input volume pot - the ground of the volume pot connects to the signal ground in the circuit board via the interconnect shield?????

Thanks,
Bill

My suggestion is to shield any signal carrying wire, no matter how high level. It many times smooths out the grass on FFT further. You can ground a shield both ways, or one way if there are loops created. I.e. cutting the shield off at one end and grounding it only at the other end IF it does not play the role of a return. Did you like the el cheapo pot by the way?

P.S. For your 1.2 if you will build more, try the alternative TO-220 IRF9610, IRF9540 set, or just 9610 for the CCS Mosfet at one time too (has a bit lighter tone see the system synergy), just a 47uF good quality output cap without extra resistor or stay with the film+R Zobel, but do a comparison in your system, also BC546 BC556, and see to use 7mA 2N5459 for CCS's cascode top. BF245A can substitue the 2N5457 as well. Those things may create something that will be just right somewhere. The salt n' pepper thing, you know.:)

Thanks. Because of many other things I have to do I have stopped doing the DIY thing for the past 2 weeks and won't be able to resume in another a few weeks or so. It is just life. I still browse the forum from time to time just in case I may miss something.

With v1.2, I have not made further progress as in my last DIY activity I borrowed 4 Vishay 1.1uF MKP from my v1.2 board for other experiments and have not had the time to put them back. I have run out of these 1.1uF MKPs but will place an order from the U.S. for another a few dozens.

I am using the el cheapo pot now. I did a number of "mods" at the same time so I really don't know the subjective difference to the Alps pot. But in theory, without the wiper, and with very high measured precision between channels, with (hopefully) only two chip resistors in the signal path, it has to sound good. I am very happy with it. I only regret I did not order a couple more for spare parts.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Simplistic Salas low voltage for IVY III TP

@Salas
I am sure that you post the schematics but the thread is so long so please could you tell me in wich post is the schematic for +-15V rails, the idle current draw will be about 90mA per rail so I need at least 150mA per rail.

So we can compare with EB series reg. & with the Hypno or you mind that's not necessary do it the Simplistic & simply compare EB vs Hypno?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Hypno just carries a full LED Simplistic V1.0 symmetric with no remote sensing provisions since it is integrated to its DCB1 original audio client. So Hypno=V1.0 LED + Norton Resistor beyond 10V. Don't forget there is V1.2 too, with Rs and significantly more subjective resolution anecdotal results, but this is point to point and more advanced DIY to make or debug. So if the humble V1.0 Hypno almost freebie board proves just sympathetic VS the 160 Euro EB kit, maybe you can have higher hopes with 1.2. Playing never stops.

P.S. I hope that by then Iko would have 5K boards so it will be easier for you to make and evaluate next generation shunts.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So make do with Hypno as basic if it proves a little sympathetic, especially with the PP caps mod, or find another synergistic place for it on another circuit if you dislike it instantly VS EB series on IVY, until with 5K that I am sure Iko will do his best to be easy to make and apply.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well I make the comparison with Hypno with the PP caps mod, while I'm waiting the Iko's 5K version reg.

N.B. your Simplistic Low Voltage Shunt reg. is working very, very fine with the Simplistic Phono RIAA, every day I'm more happy, is'nt only the money saved to buy a kit or a high-end gear also is how much I enjoyed doing the gear & learned about electronics:)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas V1.2 reg. function/signal generator for oscilloscope

Please advice to buy a function/signal generator to learn how using an oscilloscope & have to be a little good because after I will use to do the measurements to do the Salas V1.2 reg.:)

If possible I prefer to buy on line: Mouse, Digikey, RS, Farnell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.