The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, here's the schematic I use for heating direct heated triode filaments. It works very stable at 1A and more, output ripple is in mV range. You can use my layout or make your own, raster is 2.54mm. Make sure you use thick conductors if currents are exceeding 250mA.
Thanks Nick, it's a good job you did on this one!

Any impressions on this versus CCS for DHT?

Hi Ken

Are you using a zenner for vref ?

IMO you should try to place the outputs closer together so sense wiring will be easier to implement :)

Hi RCruz,

I'm going to try it both ways - with zenner or resistor/pot to set voltage. I'm less sure what you mean about putting the outputs closer together. As I understand it, the output - Force is a pair of wires, and the sense is a seperate shielded pair probably coax. Am I miss understanding something?

Ken

There are two sense wires (+ and -) that should be shielded so the correspondent outputs should be close.

I have a similar layout and my problem is to connect inner core of shield to sense + and the shield to sense - because my outputs are 2cm apart.

Here is how I think it gets hooked up.

Ken

Attachments

• servo_connections.png
    servo_connections.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 559
Merlin, from the shunt reg "force out" to RIAA "load in" use a pair of the tickest single cable (1.5 - 2 mm) you have handy and then, directly to "load in", use a shielded cable from "sense in".
It goes without saying that the Vref components aren't connected to the "force out + and -" anywhere, but at "load in".
This is the only working configuration. The sketch you drawn makes no sense.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
For one channel, you can use just one coax cable. One the regulator side the inner wire of the coax is connected to sense+, the sleeve of the coax is connected to sense-; on the load side, your riaa, the inner wire of the coax is connected to the point where the thick force+ wire is connected. The sleeve of the coax is connected to where the force- wire is connected. Hope this helps.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
On second thought, use R1 = 22R or 15R 2-5W for 140-190mA its more conservative at 40-50V area for dissipation. Its the same circuit slightly better set for heat.

I see more changes between mine Shunt Reg. PSU & Rs:

Shunt
R2 330
R3 10
R5 220
R6 4K7+4K7trimmer
R8 33K

Rs
R2 220
R3 1
R5 270
R6 4K7+5Ktrimmer
R8 27K

160980d1267709512t-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-1v0rs46v.gif

I have to change these resistors and put the values for Rs?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.