Best low noise regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Honestly, I think salas never sleeps :D

guys, I turn my head around and you're far in the distance. A higher power regulator has been next on my "to do" list as well.

salas, is your usual regulator the one your friend is using in real life with the 3A load and it works just as good as the one we're using for the phono? That'd be good news! I too need something capable of about 25V at 2A.
Cheers

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I was going to roll a simple layout for myself some time soon, just didn't get a chance. My layout skills are less than stellar, so I would not necessarily advertise it to the world, but I can post it and the experienced people could possibly offer advice.

salas, perhaps your regulator and variations should have its own thread? I know you're busy with other stuff. I guess I'm asking because this isn't exactly analog_sa's original topic.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ikoflexer said:
Honestly, I think salas never sleeps :D

guys, I turn my head around and you're far in the distance. A higher power regulator has been next on my "to do" list as well.

salas, is your usual regulator the one your friend is using in real life with the 3A load and it works just as good as the one we're using for the phono? That'd be good news! I too need something capable of about 25V at 2A.
Cheers

Exactly the same. Vbe CCS, no R6 mod. The first one. Why not? IRFPs are doing that for Zens and Alephs reliably as CCS many years now.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ikoflexer said:
I was going to roll a simple layout for myself some time soon, just didn't get a chance. My layout skills are less than stellar, so I would not necessarily advertise it to the world, but I can post it and the experienced people could possibly offer advice.

salas, perhaps your regulator and variations should have its own thread? I know you're busy with other stuff. I guess I'm asking because this isn't exactly analog_sa's original topic.

I don't know...thread says best low noise, best it ain't low noise it is...

Yes, you better start a new dedicated one for posting foil and experiences. Maybe, ''Insomniac's simple wacko reg'' or something.:smash: But add a disclaimer: Don't ask us how and why, we got no clue.:D

Hi salas,

After having built your HV shunt succesfully, I would like to replace a "dying" battery supply feeding a OPA627s line stage with your low voltage proposal.

I need +-18V but going through the thread I cannot understand which schematics should I use. For the - ve I think the one at post 309 is the right one but with the positive one I am at a loss.

Could you please help me on this ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, haven't had any further news from you for the HV shunt more than it was working. Is it in service yet? Having made the HV, you probably have some proper green Leds around.
So here is a LED CCS shunt symmetric pair for your low voltage needs. Those I have made in 2008's fall for someone wanting to power a symmetric supply capacitor-less B1 like the test one I have done in the Pass B1 thread, but with 317 regs. Since B1 does not care for little over 18V, but I guess OPA627 will not like 18.6V, I suggest you use D1=16V Zener 1W like 1N4745. That will give +/- 16.7V so to stay safe with your OPA.

Attachments

• m+.gif
    m+.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,879
Hi salas,
the HV will be used in a triode line stage which is in "running status". That's why you don't have further news from me.

The OPA pre is in my system the last 5 years and recently I have deeply discharged the batteries for second time and they start to loose charge rapidly. So this an emergency ... triodes have to wait.

Do you know anyone that used your LV shunt for op amps ?

I'm old enough to know the real lifesaver.Yiannis Pashalidis (Atomiki) at kanigos street.;)
Unfortunaly he is retired now. Half of my knowledge on electronics is credited to him. I missed his eccentric style, and our saturday morning conversations about everything (politics, electronics, greek philosophers,...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.