Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Hi there,
I'm planning to build one of these but,
I was thinking of replacing IXTP01N100D with IXTP3N100D2 (which is also cheaper and I have it on stock)
and 2SK117 with BSH111BKR (I have this in my stock)

Is this safe to do?
I only need 280Vdc but who knows what the future brings.
Regards,
Silviu

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm many pF and high Id(on) that IXYS. It will surely need >> Rs trimmer etc. to bring it down to mA level. Maybe different value gate stoppers too. It will show lower HF rejection ratio due to high Ciss pF no doubt. But it can work as a mA level CCS when biased as it should.

BSH111BKR is an enhancement mode mini MOSFET. Makes no replacement to that JFET. Try to get 2SK209GR or 2SK880GR which are SMD 2SK117GR equivalents.

newbie here, want to build 24V 5A vacuum tube power supply

i don't know if this is the right thread, please guide me to the right one if it's not.
I just built my first power amp(Amp Camp Amp) built my first power supply(UNIVERSAL PSU) from DIYaudio store. I was gifted big boxes of NOS tubes for the 40's 50's 60's all new in boxs. I have been cross ref all the numbers and just open one box seem to be all diode rectifiers,5U4GB,5R4GYB,5V4GA,5U4GTB,5V3,5Z3 ECT. My question is if I have the right tubes can I build a 24V 5A power supply for my Amp Camp Amp?. If so can someone point me to a page of a schematic or build guide for my power requirements. thank you.

I got the bug to build.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas isn't enough a power transformer 230V 30VA primary and 150V 0.2A secondary for a CCS 50mA (30mA for load & 20mA for SSHV2) and B+ 150VDC at plate using OPT Edcor GXSE5-600-15K?

I ask because I set the CCS ok to 50mA but only reach 80VDC output?

R11 trimmer is 500R in place of 1K, can be the guilty?

Attached schematic.

Attachments

• 5687 headphone last mod Thorsten.jpg
    5687 headphone last mod Thorsten.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I tested before with dumy load 3K without problems. Let me try the two wire mode for the load circuit.

Two wire mode for the load circuit Vout range with the trimmer only 77.2-80VDC at plates of 5687 vacuum tube

PSU is full wave Cree Sic C3D02060F 600V 2A, CRCRC = 100uF / 22R / 100uF / 22R / 100uF and a bleeder resistor of 220K

I tested all semis & resistors and are OK

It's inoperable.
There are no resistor from battery + to Gnd.
Fully agree! If and only IF the input is DC-coupled it would work!
Second problem is the counted capacity for CCS. As far as we have an SE circuit we allow the full current swing in it. So the max current in the circuit is 15+15=30mA/channel, 60mA in total, 80mA - including the overhead of the SSHV2. NOT 50mA!

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Fully agree! If and only IF the input is DC-coupled it would work!
Second problem is the counted capacity for CCS. As far as we have an SE circuit we allow the full current swing in it. So the max current in the circuit is 15+15=30mA/channel, 60mA in total, 80mA - including the overhead of the SSHV2. NOT 50mA!

Check your maths, the circuit is 15mA per channel.

Salas what do you think about the schematic?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's inoperable.
There are no resistor from battery + to Gnd.

500K, 1Meg, other value?

circuit cannot work. check the circuit in the thread u linked, there is a 6.2v return marked by yellow arrow. Euro21 has pointed out.

Could you post or link the schematic please?

@euro21 & commstech if it's too much OT please send me P.M. thank you.

I'm sorry Salas.