• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

CNC kits for Mark Audio. UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been tweaking Scott L's Pensil design ready to be CNC'd as a flat pack kit. Which I am hoping to make in the next two weeks. Along with his Simple reflex design (which with a port change can be used for 10.3/10p, wooden port included).

These are to be made from precision cut 18mm Birch Ply. With rebates so the panels clip together, with bracing, driver cutouts chamfered at the back, and with any rounders done, removable backs with countersunk screw heads. Would just require glue and some clamps to assemble. And materials to finish.

Would anyone be interested in purchasing these as a kit. Other designs can be made.

The price will include a £20 royalty fee to Scott. If there is some interest I can estimate a kit price based on numbers.

Eventually a 10.3 M Pensil. You're late again �� I bought my A7m's from Europe just before you offered them. Last weekend I completed my Pensil cabinet!

One day I may go for a Pensil 10.3M but in the meantime I'll post my experiences of the 7.3.

Likely to be next year for me.

Andrew

once all the appropriate licensing and permissions from copyright holders is taken care of - the more the merrier AFAIC

it's taken some time to establish this traction, but this is very much what key players had in mind.

There may of course be designs by the New Mark Audio / Sota team that would still be considered proprietary

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Glad there's interest in supporting Louis's mini-venture. He's done the right thing by asking permission to use the Pensil designs for commercial purposes and agreeing to pay royalties to Scott's in support of his work.

We have seen a few examples of Pensils having other brand drivers installed. Bad from the technical persecutive as the alignments won't function correctly, breaches the design rights and it dis-repects the originators.

Anyone wishing to make seek the use of MarkAudio designs can make contact via email: support@markaudio.com

Thanks
Mark.

I think that what Chrisb is trying to say, and if I recall right, the Pensils designs where done by Scottmoose but are property of MarkAudio. They have paid for them and then gave it for free to non commercial users.
On the other hand, it's nice for UK guys to have this CNC option :)

Yes, reviewing in sequence I can see how those several posts may have seemed truculent- not my intention at all . But note that not all of the designs that Louis has mentioned, or that might end up on his wish list, are Mark's IP, and that IINM commercial production of any design derived from use of MJK worksheets should really include a one time payment of very nominal licensing fee by the manufacturer to Martin.

That said, thanks in advance Louis for considering this, but when you ask for "any other requests", you might want to be careful what you wish for :D

Just to clarify a few points here guys:

Louis is one of the good guys & he's trying to do things properly. I gather he contacted Mark in the first instance re designs that are MA property, and via that he's kind enough to want to pay me something in return for designing them in the first place. And I know he will do the same (assuming permission is granted) for any enclosures designed by anybody else. As I recall he has a commercial MJK license in place, covering that base also. All in all, I think this is good for the European / British DIY scene, since there aren't many who are able to produce economically viable flat-packs over here, and thoroughly encourage it. This is an excellent example of the sort of thing that Dave, Chris and I have been trying to encourage for a few years in terms of small scale / cottage industries on a global level, done with mutual respect by all parties and a desire to localise and support small businesses. In an era of increasing globalisation such ventures are an excellent link to the past and traditions while also providing a link to the international community ; particularly for nations like Britain, where it is difficult to compete on a mass-production level with larger economic environments, the small-scale artisan approach (which applies as much to flat-packs as fine furniture), has much to commend it.

Last edited:
First initial SketchUp file for CNC'd Pensil for 10p. Doesn't show blocks for removable rear panel.

Terminals. Is there any easy standard to work too? I'm planning on using Speakon connectors. I guess leave it up to the end user?

Maybe have two 10mm holes in a rectangular recess, and a plywood plug so it can either be used or not?

Thoughts, any better way to do any parts? Currently the bracing causes it two need over two sheets, but this should be balanced if I order a few design at a time, and nest them well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.