All Acoustat panels can give

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With these new to me.......that I got to keep all stocks....
These are the older 2+2s with the first silver looking wire used.... in the panels in my pr of Xs.....back in 89....all the panels I have had in the last 20 years ...all was with the copper wire. in the panels.....
pulling the pads off the copper wired panels ....I found was a must for better topend..
But I have found with the silver wired panels ....that dose sound diff....to me...with all the screw pull out ...but for 2 per panel.......removing the felt pads may not be needed....
Also I have found the silver type wire holds the bias...better...longer than the copper wire
The silver wired panels PVc seems to be better at keeping panels from leeking much better...

Last edited:
Best sound.....so far is pull all screws out.....but...2 at the bottem .. on each panel in the end gives the best top end...but just put the screws back in...hehe......most think the bass is good with the stock Acoustats....this give a real taste...of what sound these panels can give.....thanks for you input 124

....This is one thing that cant be faket........I pic up a mint pr of ML SL3s...
an the panels have the best-highest....output... I have ever heard....I have a lot ML.....an the sound was just giving ...2+2s a real run for the money.....till I got up an puled the screws out...an got less sense of the music coming from the panels, better illusion of soundstage....vary 3D....an the sound moved right past the SL3s.....

Attachments

• sl3 002.JPG
    sl3 002.JPG
    734.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
..I was working on my outboard Acoustat bias setup.....PULL THAT AC PLUG OUT OF THE WALL FRIST!
I still have the 2 Stock..1/6 watt fuses in both AC legs of the bias tran primary....just like all the 121 interfaces have feeding AC to there panel bias ....
Pull the 1/6watt out...drop in 2..... 5amp fuses......I just bypass my fuses all togather...
To say the lest......WOW....sounds like vary clear 30hz........see-hear what a little more current in the panel bias sounds like.....
For over 25 year ...haveing over 10 pr of Acoustat with these fuses.....Never had one fuse fail!

Last edited:
JUst one more thing that can give low output......to the panels....the stock 500meg bias res ends can get lose.....one day work....next day not....high humidity can add to this
this has drove me nuts for yeas...I don't need any help added .....as some say ....I am NUTS a nef.......not Voodoo magics.....
that's right........
I post this again.....this can be a life-time saver.........................just saying

Attachments

• 500meg 001.JPG
    500meg 001.JPG
    729.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Acoustat 11.... pic up for a song......bias low....I got my tester older Acoustat type bias setup running these .....in the 90s I had a pr of the Spectra 11...I thought then....they were the missing ESL link...played a lot louder than any Acoustat or ML at that time....well that I had heard ..so far sound great.....lot fun

Attachments

• 11 002.JPG
    11 002.JPG
    761.9 KB · Views: 160
  • spectra 004.JPG
    spectra 004.JPG
    741.5 KB · Views: 149
Acoustat 11.... pic up for a song......bias low....I got my tester older Acoustat type bias setup running these .....in the 90s I had a pr of the Spectra 11...I thought then....they were the missing ESL link...played a lot louder than any Acoustat or ML at that time....well that I had heard ..so far sound great.....lot fun

Some people frown on mixing electrostatic panels and cone bass drivers, insisting that full range stats have "coherence" that is somehow lost when you go "hybrid".
I have begun to feel that getting the sub 50 hertz bass off the panels and into a nice pair of subwoofers is the way to take my Spectra 22 to the next level. They would have to be the right subs (possibly homemade open baffle or dipole), and the crossover would have to be done just right, possibly just a cap to roll off the low frequencies to the main amp. Hope to achieve more punch, lower bass extension, and cleaner midrange and high frequencies from the panels which would be relieved of the excursions require to reproduce low bass notes.
The Spectra 11 basically did just that. It seems to be a much loved speaker. The new Marten Logan's and the Sanders models also successful combine electrostatic panels and woofers.
One day I am going to get off my butt and do it (maybe)!
Enjoy your new toys tyu!

I have ben working with a guy that has a room.....12'x14'x7'....he has the spectra 33.an.22....Apogee minors an ML ....the ML allway sound good....the 33 bass is heavy....22 just don't have the output in the room....minors work well....he has two 10" bass boxes ....his sound get better with the added bass......but in this size room I think 2 small 61/2" bass box with ports..would work best
I don't like to have anything but full rang sound come from the front speakers...
you well be shocket.....how much clear you sound well become ......when you add little output from these type bass box....
so called subs in a small space is not what anyone needs ....less you just need your neighbor...have your low bass.....low bass....heheh..... have fun...
As for the 11....or the 1+1...I still say in the end the best sound ... that come from Acoustat .....well be these one panels wide speakers....thay have all the magic...all
just one mans finding

For year I have been doing anything... I could to get these Acoustat 121 interfaces an panels to wakeup.....an kick out the jams.....that's one way to put it....with mods for years....
But this one looks like a keeper....I have for 10 years at lest....tried to get the ground out of the two tran senondarys in the 121 interfaces.....with 10ohm- up to 100k....never sounded right...
But getting my hands on more an more ESLs like the Spectra, ML, SL....I see now I was to low.....the 15-20mg ohms....is the key
Letting the two tran secondary talk to each other....like a tube amps output tube cathodes...kills some type of thd....that's not needed....
Leting the output of the 121 high-low tran secondary ...rise up above ground...sound so much better.....just one more way.... to get better-more output...closer too the sound I was looking for .....out of these Kings of the ESL world.....
All just one mans finding

So just checking my understanding do you separate each of the secondary centre taps from ground by 15-20mg ohms each, or do you keep the secondary centre taps connected and have that point tied to ground via 15-20mg ohm? I think it is the latter but would appreciate confirmation. Regards Grant

The center taps are tied togather.....then add 10-20mg ohms res to the ground were the taps were.......this lest the tran talk to each other...after all that's what were trying to do ...get the two tran to act as one.....5-7 watt wire wounds.... are what Jim used in his Spectra setups.....
I started with a 1/2 watt ....carbon...20mg ....an it works fine......
What a great sound I am getting with the setup....Biger bolder sound stages....give us your input if you give it a go....you can put the taps right back if you don't like...
Also this setup today is just one amp.....not bi-amping...or bi-wireing...that add more also..
it just more of the magic......have fun...with ESLs....thanks

Last edited:
Well it been some time now...that I have had the spectra 11-1100....same back plat......the 11 are the only Acoustat panels setup I have owned that have cross horizontal bars... as a way to mount the panels....I have found that way of mounting the panels....any panels bust the high frc....why thay slow the planels mylar movement at the crossbar point......how do I hear this well I pulled one bar ...the first one up....see pic....I can add it in an out...an as stated before pulled the screws out of the panels...all but the 2 at the bottem....this give a more natural sound stage....aka sounds more like the full rang Acoustat....

Now this has give us a way to get better high frc out of the full rang Acoustat
on my 2+2s...I have found by adding a small horizontal peace of wood 2"x 9" wide ....to the back of the one inside panel in the 2+2 just below ear level.....give a nice peak of the top end....it would work on more than one panels in your ESLs....but I have found it sounds better when only one panels has this peak...I just use tape to hold the bar....so it can be ezey to pull in & out...if you were to add it an like it....hot glue would work fine...

Also the medal plat has a wire the runs to the ground in the bias... in the 11-1100--pull this it sound vary bad....takes that steely sound out of the top end
all just one mans finding.....have fun with Acoustat

Attachments

• hh 008.JPG
    hh 008.JPG
    754.7 KB · Views: 201
  • hh 013.JPG
    hh 013.JPG
    752.8 KB · Views: 201
  • hh 014.JPG
    hh 014.JPG
    733.4 KB · Views: 192
geting better high frequency-response out of Acoustat panels

More info on getting better top end out of any Acoustat panel....as I have posted..... adding the 1"1/2 peace of wood....to the back of one panel just below or at ear level well give a vary good sounding bust to the frequency-response of the panels.... .passively....with out going active with..... add on ..ESL or ribbon type tweeter....
What seems to be happening here is the slowing of the mylar only at a small point...so the movement from lower an mid notes don't smear the high frc....gives much better image, depth of the sound stage... I have found.
Add you input..an findings..after all its about getting better sound out of these great panels.....

Attachments

• apm 001.JPG
    apm 001.JPG
    738.6 KB · Views: 161
One more way to get better-diff sound.......2+2s ran as 4 1+1s....4 121 interfaces are used...only one bias used for all 4 panels..2 wired 1+1s in each speaker.....then you can run the red wire on the bass tran pos input...setup for 2 panels........better bass...louder fuller output..
I have always thought the red wire input just had a right ness to the tone on the Acoustats
justt one mans finding....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.