Yet another DIY Planar Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
comparing Magnapan with my latest design!

Showing my latest design being compared to Magnepan, same sensitivity and make a good pair, so how does the Magnepan measure up to?

Attachments

• SAM_2589.jpg
    SAM_2589.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 378
  • SAM_2590.jpg
    SAM_2590.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 390
  • SAM_2591.jpg
    SAM_2591.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 372
@ lupi
Thank you very much. My previous plans about the speakers has been postponed because my source for magnets didn't work out. For the first test I would now like a more reliable source, like amazon, but the selection and prices there are annoying me and life is in the way as way :p

I read your thread. Please do write about your next amt :D
Since bass is my deepest concern as of now (haha a pun), i'm very interested.

@ james
How do you like your speakers compared to these magnepan?

My speakers compare very well with the Maggys, in fact they make a good duo, and the bass is better on my design! My design is a few magnets short so will be more sensitive than the Maggies. Ordered another 2,000 N45 neos 50 x 6 x 3 mm from China. Have a few more to finish will also paint the picture frames this time and varnish them as well, now I have finalised my design, at last after 15 years of experentation. very nice to finally arrive at my last design. HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!

Last edited:
Showing my latest design being compared to Magnepan, same sensitivity and make a good pair, so how does the Magnepan measure up to?

Henry, what's the model of that Magnepan? And what is the size of your planar which compares well with it? How many turns of alufoil do you apply to each row of magnets? (Assuming it is more than one turn, which you call epsilon.)

I have also thought about making one with a photo print. It's the looks that gave the impulse. But I'm concerned with treble since most photo papers are rather heavy. Does it muffle the higher end? With all due respect, I understand that human ears' sensitivity to treble declines with age, so do you have any equipment or the opinion from someone else (preferably younger) about its treble?

copper wire is not advised , if you want to go beyond 10khz :) also the magnepans uses one membrane but 2 coils. witch is good in multiple ways. first of it reaches 18Khz witch is not possible with only the bass wires. second the bass wires are heavy gauge wich is good since they handle the power. and 3rd it has wider dispersion then going one coil all over without any crossover. ..... they are well thought of speakers, simplicity but well thought trough! there is no other way of making the speaker that they make especially for the money.

This planar bass are allright . I think that , you Solhauge , must use 0,8 mm kobber wire instead off alu folie . So it wil give you succes. Do you still have that construktion ? And my english is very bad .
I guess that you're addressing me, Thomas.
I've given up on the Planar Bass thing.
Nothing beats the classic cone driver when it comes to deliver a tight and dry bass, which is my preference.

Henry, what's the model of that Magnepan? And what is the size of your planar which compares well with it? How many turns of alufoil do you apply to each row of magnets? (Assuming it is more than one turn, which you call epsilon.)

I have also thought about making one with a photo print. It's the looks that gave the impulse. But I'm concerned with treble since most photo papers are rather heavy. Does it muffle the higher end? With all due respect, I understand that human ears' sensitivity to treble declines with age, so do you have any equipment or the opinion from someone else (preferably younger) about its treble?
No problem with the treble, the number of turns on the magnets, depends on the width of the magnets and the width of the foil. At the moment I am using 20 mm wide magnets and 5 mm wide tape, which works out to 3 x 5 mm wide tape on each magnet using epsilon type layout. I also use 3 mm foil which works out at 5 tapes on magnets, 4 x 3 and 2 x 1.5 mm as the last one is shared by the next magnet! The different tapes used makes possible to get approximate impedance with no need for resistors which only waste power. Could do with 4 mm tape to get a better impedance match, but they don't sell 4 mm tape. Unless somebody knows who does sell 4 mm tape!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.