Yet another DIY Planar Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Strange .
I have been wondering too.
This might be the answer:
If you use stronger magnets, you will increase efficency but loose bass. Increasing the field strenth will kill the high Q necessary for bass reproduction. A friend of mine built overkill Magneplanar drivers but was very surpriced by the lack of bass... Baffles were about 1.2 x 2 m.
From Full range speaker post 346

Bernt

You can build high effiency push-pull drivers for frequencies above circa 150-200 Hz.

Strange .
I have been wondering too.
This might be the answer:
If you use stronger magnets, you will increase efficency but loose bass. Increasing the field strenth will kill the high Q necessary for bass reproduction. A friend of mine built overkill Magneplanar drivers but was very surpriced by the lack of bass... Baffles were about 1.2 x 2 m.
From Full range speaker post 346

Bernt

You can build high effiency push-pull drivers for frequencies above circa 150-200 Hz.

I aimed for a low Q as I want motor control :car: and not mass control :snail: for bass reproduction.
But otherwise I agree.
Bass is best reproduced with traditional cone speakers and my AE TD15H is probably best in class.
At least for EQ:ed actively driven OBs such as mine where low Q and large Xmax is essential to get a tight bass down to at least 20 Hz.

I am rebuilding all my designs again using pictures for the diaphragm, if I don't have picture I use picture paper which is white and shiny. The aluminium tape is on the inside. I use 5 mm tape with the 18 mm ferrite magnets, and 6 mm tape with the 22 and 25 mm ferrite magnets. I use 3 mm tape with my neos of 12.7 mm width, all touching no gaps. Not worth the trouble of glueing I use double sided tape to fix diaphragm using a roller to control placement. I have also placed diaphragm without the double sided tape as it is held in position using picture frame wood.

Attachments

• SAM_1983.JPG
    SAM_1983.JPG
    817.7 KB · Views: 356
  • SAM_1985.JPG
    SAM_1985.JPG
    886.9 KB · Views: 340
MY LATEST REBUILDS

The large one uses ferrites the next 2 my little monsters use 50 x 12.7 x 3 mm neos, as I have said I don't use mylar or polyethylene any more. Quite happy with results no more funny noises caused by the noisy mylar!

Attachments

• SAM_2167.JPG
    SAM_2167.JPG
    847.9 KB · Views: 424
  • SAM_2166.JPG
    SAM_2166.JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 402
  • SAM_2165.JPG
    SAM_2165.JPG
    956.6 KB · Views: 382
But if you want someone to follow your design, and I guess that's why you post this, you must also post some measurements.
Otherwise it'll be a wild goose chase for any follower.
I am not interested in anyone following my designs, just trying to help you build a simple light design that works. This as been my goal over the last 15 years. I think I have finally reached that goal, after many years of trial and error!

The ultimate test of any design is what it sounds like, nothing else matters, as they say the proof is in the eating of the pudding, and my pudding tastes wonderful, and is easy to bake as well!
As I suspect that an English pudding is way too sweet for my taste buds, I still want some measurements of your design.

It is the only way that we can use in order to know if it is worth while to follow any of your designs.

Hi gentlemen,
dear friends of "the unusual concepts",

maybe this can be useful just as a "remark" or "alternative approach" in some respect, it is an "edge driven planar" i did 2009.

Just some pictures for your edififation. Fs in that cabinet was about 40Hz, lower (-3 dB) cutoff frequency around 50Hz. I was measuring at higher frequencies only, because this was intended to be a wideband system. But it works very well as a "low to lower mid" frequency transducer in the size given.

I was using a rather "special" software and not a good microphone at that time, sorry for that ... but should be sufficient to get an idea.

heee i missed that one, Linearray do you ahve mor pictures or discription on how this works ? looks like its driven from both left and right? by 2 coloms of sandwich magnets between steel ? a bit like the single colom of a rubanoid ?

im really curious. since i played allot with the rubanoids and might declare it dead and not suitable for mid/high frequencys as well :) so moved on to amt's, but if this works well for the low end im pretty curious how it works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.