Ground reference for ESLs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2012, 06:36 PM   #11
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

In the SL3.... ones with the limiter an one with out..thay allways had a wire ran from the crossover neg to the same point as the bias 0 an the center tap...so this jumped the neg res.....but the pos.res was still in the mix.....this is what i did at frist with my reg. Ascents
So SL3 were diff than the Ascent you can see on the pic you posted....an the Ascent i only has the D setup

An i well say it sound diff...with just D... thats the neg an the pos.only as a ref..an sounds the best so far.
Old 30th January 2012, 10:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

ForGive the art....post this SL3 setup so other can see how to do a mod if thay would like ..The pic on the left is the SL3...An can be seen on the schematic...the extra neg wire that should not be there...Runs to the bias board...an is not there on all the newer setups..

bolserst
Now on the ML Spires ....on the right... is this right...the 2k are on the bias board with the limiter..Do you have any more info on the Spires..

An how about the CLX i like to see the xover...an tranfourmer setup an bias board..An limiter?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (611.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (612.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 31st January 2012, 09:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
bolserst
Now on the ML Spires ....on the right... is this right...the 2k are on the bias board with the limiter.
The bias/limiter board for the Spires does not use the 2K resistors from the audio input like the SL3. It is just as shown in arrangement "E" from post#9.
Old 31st January 2012, 09:25 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Dayton Wright used 2k2 from each polarity of input jack to chassis ground to establish ground reference.

CLX has seperate limiters on both low and HF transformer inputs after the crossover.
Old 31st January 2012, 09:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
Dayton Wright used 2k2 from each polarity of input jack to chassis ground to establish ground reference.
Do you know which DW ESLs used the 2k2 resistors?
The only DW schematic I have is for the XG-10 which shows HV bias connected to center tap and referenced to safety ground. (ie Arrangement "A" from post#9)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DW_XG-10_circuit.jpg (103.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 31st January 2012, 09:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have Dayton Wright ST 300, and IM 10 interfaces - both have 2k2 resistors from each input connector to ground, yes they are not shown on the schematic. Have Dayton Wright XG 8 mk 3 , XG 10, XG 10 mk ii. I also have have Dayton Wright IM 11 interface, but not opened it yet. Also have Quad 63, Acoustat model 1, ML Request and CLX - too many electrostatics too little time. Double pair of Dayton Wrights is very good especially in the bottom end - my other favorites are modified CLX's with ribbon top end and subs.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
I have Dayton Wright ST 300, and IM 10 interfaces - both have 2k2 resistors from each input connector to ground, yes they are not shown on the schematic. Have Dayton Wright XG 8 mk 3 , XG 10, XG 10 mk ii.
Thanks for the DW info.
Did the ST 300 and IM 10 interfaces connect the AC safety ground like the XG-10 schematic?
Or, is the AC safety ground left hanging free like your CLX.
Old 31st January 2012, 11:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The IM 10 was interface for XG 10 speaker. The St 300 was for XG 8 speaker.
The interfaces are pretty similiar, they differ only in teeeter crossover - piezo ceramic in XG 8 and Panasonic leaf teeeter in XG 10. There is also an small inductor in series with the electrostatics. The inductor value changed a little in the two interfaces and the cells could be run fill range in the IM 10 if you had the right amplifier which could drive them. I'm just hearing from some - one who hot roded the DW interfaces (like Nelson Pass / Joe Sammut Threshold did) and drives the DW cells directly with just a .22r buildout resistor in a double pair arrangement. The user adjustable bias voltage range may have been lowered to 11kv from the 17? Kv max if I recall correctly when they changed models.

The speakers were rebuilt over the years as SF 6 leaks or bad cells occoured snd old and new cells were used with old and new interfaces so there are versions of both interfaces with both versions of cells.

The safety AC ground was always connected to chassis on all models of interface.

Last edited by ticknpop; 31st January 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:31 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all for the info...
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:30 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

bolserst
Thanks for all your time an help for myself an others.....
I have been reworking an play with the setups you an others have siad Is the way that ESL work.. What i have found with the com.Centap setup for ESLs.

What i called a Fluk that ML made with the bias floting is not the case.
we know now the there were a 2k 2watt.feed to the bias 0 from the pos.an the neg on the Amp Primary side so with the centap just ran to the neg input an not the 0 was how it worket.... are you saying the panel wont charg all the way up?
As i have siad it sound much better this way.In the testing i have done with other thay all say this sounds the best.Art on the left

I have fond that if the bias 0 is put on the center tap there is a noise i call it AC in the highend of the sound .
Now i no this is one man thinking an it can mean a lot to ME..but to others it may mean nothing.

Now as for the SE setup i use,The art on the right, all i have here is a Ratshak soundpresurmeter
but i get almost 2db more output from 1'away with this setup .

Forgive the art
I have put the Art in here so other can see...thanks for any input on ESLs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (612.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg my setup 001.JPG (608.9 KB, 61 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!