Some More Questions On ELS Design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Isn't it possible too just use two tubes provided that they are the same size and with their feed hoses connected together in order to equalize the pressure between them?

jer
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:27 AM   #12
fperra is offline fperra  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I finally got the two inner tubes glued together and no leaks. So I'm all set with that. Thursday I'll pick up the stator panels, work on de-burring them this weekend, and drop them off for powder coating on Monday. Soon, I'll start posting some pictures.
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Nice! May I know how you glue the 2 inner tubes together?

Wachara C.
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinsettawong View Post

Wachara C.
That's easy - just put a piece of film inside the inner "inner" tube so inner walls would not glue together... and then stick inner "inner" one inside the outer "inner" one and press them together using vice... you gonna love English as a language
Sure, you need to degrease and make surface to which you apply adhesive roughed by sandpaper.
Adhesive is applied to outer surface of inner "inner" tube and inner surface of outer "inner" tube. Using two tubes you get two seals.
sic! Fingerprints are not good for adhesion. Rubber glue is the best
Almost forgot - seal shall be about inch wide
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinsettawong View Post

Wachara C.
I put a 3" piece of plastic tubing about the same diameter as the inner tube inside one end of the splice, roller the other end of the splice back onto itself, cleaned both sides, applied rubber contact cement, and unrolled the one side back onto the other. Let it dry for an hour and it holds pressure.
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:12 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexberg View Post
That's easy - just put a piece of film inside the inner "inner" tube so inner walls would not glue together... and then stick inner "inner" one inside the outer "inner" one and press them together using vice... you gonna love English as a language
Sure, you need to degrease and make surface to which you apply adhesive roughed by sandpaper.
Adhesive is applied to outer surface of inner "inner" tube and inner surface of outer "inner" tube. Using two tubes you get two seals.
sic! Fingerprints are not good for adhesion. Rubber glue is the best
Almost forgot - seal shall be about inch wide
Very wise use of English indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Wachara C.
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post
I put a 3" piece of plastic tubing about the same diameter as the inner tube inside one end of the splice, roller the other end of the splice back onto itself, cleaned both sides, applied rubber contact cement, and unrolled the one side back onto the other. Let it dry for an hour and it holds pressure.
That sounds like very easy to do. Thanks for sharing.
Old 3rd November 2011, 03:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

How important is to have the holes of the front and rear stators aligned? Has anyone done any distortion measurements related this?
Old 3rd November 2011, 04:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

from a purely visual stand point it looks good (for the holes to line up) but from a performance point of view (and we ARE nit picking here) they ought to overlap. Bottom line dont worry about it and take what you get as it will be the least of your worries. Have fun and save your thinking energy for any real issues that may arise. Hope they won`t but hey it is all one big learning excercise. Best regards Moray James.
Old 3rd November 2011, 05:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer. I agree they will look better if alligned, but, logically thinking, it seems they would be more efficient if they overlapped.

Hide this!Advertise here!