Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2011, 06:23 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmito View Post
Hi. I own a pair of 2+2's and was wondering if anybody has used the Pass F-3 or F-4 or F-5 amps (bridged) with them? I'm looking to build an amp for them the Impasse preamp/F-x amps are highly rated. Thanks.
It was always Acoustat's official stance (as well as my own personal opinion) to recommend AGAINST using ANY brand of amplifier in bridged-mode for Acoustat speakers. When you bridge an amplifier, each half of the amplifier 'sees' only half the load impedance. Since the Acoustat is already a tough load, you do not want to make it twice as bad.

In the case of driving Acoustats (or other difficult-load speakers), if you need more power, a larger amplifier is the only solution.
Old 11th March 2011, 01:25 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Hi my name is Andre MrAcoustat Sevigny i have been with Acoustat's since the early 80s i have owned 2+2s - Spectra 2200s - Spectra 3300s - and three pairs of my favorites 1+1s the one's i own now where modified by Jocelyn Jeanson from Quebec Canada he is very well known in the Acoustat circles they can be seen on Flickr MrAcoustat Photostream they are all metal frame with modifications to the panels and interfaces they weigh 200 pounds each the only thing left to change is the 4 resistors i am waiting for my MS322 50K 22W 1% Caddocks resistors then it should be over ( for now ) but with Jocelyn you NEVER know he's our Canadian ( Roy Esposito ) when he tells me to jump i ask him HOW HIGH.
Old 11th March 2011, 04:13 PM   #93
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply to the bridged amp question. The F-4 I asked because I understood that they can be built to produce up to 150 watts/channel when you bias them high enough. I had figured the standard amp at <50 watts was not a good candidate. But my technical knowledge is very lacking, so I may have misunderstood what I read at the Pass threads about the F-4 amp.

I had used a classdaudio sds-254 and had thought of buying another so I could bridge each for more power, but after the recommendation above I will abandon that route.

Thanks again for the very helpful advice/comments.
Old 12th March 2011, 03:02 PM   #94
peleton is offline peleton  United States
diyAudio Member

Default HELP ANSWERMAN

I have monitor 3's with servo amps-one of my kids kicked the cable and it wont work- I changed tubes and still doesnt work--where can I get the amps updated and repaired--Thanks

ahhkundun@hotmail.com
Matthew
Old 12th March 2011, 05:20 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleton View Post
I have monitor 3's with servo amps-one of my kids kicked the cable and it wont work- I changed tubes and still doesnt work--where can I get the amps updated and repaired--Thanks

ahhkundun@hotmail.com
Matthew
Which cable did he kick? IC, power cord? Where are you located?
Old 12th March 2011, 05:57 PM   #96
peleton is offline peleton  United States
diyAudio Member

Im in Houston
not sure what he kicked I wasnt there-my wife said she smelled plastic burning so she unplugged it
I just spoke with michael savuto and it look like a minimum of 1600 to fix and upgrade-
Old 12th March 2011, 06:54 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

I guess the good news is that (according to everyone who's had MS upgrade their Servos) your system will be taken to a new level of performance.
Old 12th March 2011, 07:14 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

I assume that MS's quote is for work on both of your amps, since doing just one would create an imbalance. What did he think was the issue? I suppose you could fund it by selling your kid off for scientific experiments.
Old 12th March 2011, 11:53 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
I guess the good news is that (according to everyone who's had MS upgrade their Servos) your system will be taken to a new level of performance.
Yes you do have the right guy for the job.
Old 16th March 2011, 07:01 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Yes you do have the right guy for the job.
I agree, Mike Savuto is THE man to repair/upgrade your servocharge amplfiers.

Hide this!Advertise here!