Acoustat Answer Man is here

What is "silice"?

But why the wood at all?? it adds an edge for diffraction as built... just thinking out loud.

_-_-bear

PS. nice shop! :D

The wood was added for aesthetic reasons only, angled the way it is, i don't have any diffraction problems at all,i wanted these angles for the looks once covered with the material, silice is like metal saw dust.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/6111249676/

Last edited:
The diffraction takes place where the panels transition to the first adjoining surface.

Also, any sharp boundary, angled or not will cause some diffraction.

It may be minimal, or deemed inaudible... but tests with other drivers (non ESL) using various "wings" ranging from nil to somewhat larger showed that the shape and size do effect frequency response noticeably... fyi.

Metal saw dust would be rather heavy... also metal, as in bad for the fingers... I might have preferred sand or even something like sawdust or expandable foam. Unless of course you were wanting to up the mass... maybe a good thing.

:D

_-_-bear

PS. I own several Acoustats myself, but currently prefer some rather special horns...

To me, that's one of the allures of ESL's (done right - full range...). The bottom end is just so fast and detailed compared to pretty much any cone in a box.

Bryan

60 hz down no panel speaker will match a Dynamic speaker for bass IMO. A large panel like that will have good bass output, but will never have the even frequency distribution and power of a dynamic "box " speaker ...

Agree with Bear about edge diffraction, for some reason when the panel width approaches/exceeds 3 ft, edge diffraction is less noticeable, maybe due to the sound board effect, Big sound but with some smearing ....

Regards,

They definitely require some tweaking. I deal in room acoustics for a living and have played a lot with location and treatment. Right now, I'm - 5 at 25Hz in room and within +/- 4db up to around 200hz. No eq. All that and it just kills my dynamic system in the bottom end (Dynaudio Contour 3.3's down to 60Hz and a ServoDrive Contrabass below that with a 5 band parametric EQ.)

Sure - below 25Hz, the Contrabass wins hands down - but not nearly as fast and nimble as the 'stats.

Bryan

The diffraction takes place where the panels transition to the first adjoining surface.

Also, any sharp boundary, angled or not will cause some diffraction.

It may be minimal, or deemed inaudible... but tests with other drivers (non ESL) using various "wings" ranging from nil to somewhat larger showed that the shape and size do effect frequency response noticeably... fyi.

Metal saw dust would be rather heavy... also metal, as in bad for the fingers... I might have preferred sand or even something like sawdust or expandable foam. Unless of course you were wanting to up the mass... maybe a good thing.

:D

_-_-bear

PS. I own several Acoustats myself, but currently prefer some rather special horns...

Yes sir it's all about the mass, the worst thing in 94 inches of panels is the swing these don't because of the mass, some brace them to the ceiling & floor but the Wife Acceptance Factor is not very good.

PS: I also love these but they cost over 10k don't have that kind of money.

Lamhorn 1.8 Speakers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I never built any steel or iron frames and I don`t think I would because of the interaction between the electrostatic fields and a metal. I think that the copper frames that have been built would be a better option. As to mass being the answer that kind of falls into the some is good more is better too much is perfect kind of pattern. Reminds me of the often seen lead shot in speaker stands. Sand or the like will actually disapate more energy due to friction between the moving parts and still provide good mass loading. I am sure that you are well pleased with your work but as I said it would not be an approach I would consider. Non metalic frames would be my first choice. Thanks for posting and for your enthusiasm for Acoustats. I think the thrust now needs to be for a diy buildable replacement panel as far too many Acoustats are falling out of use due to failing panels. In the past I have tried to set up at least two different individuals to make panels but no one was willing to go there. There is a market out there. Best regards Moray James.

I never built any steel or iron frames and I don`t think I would because of the interaction between the electrostatic fields and a metal. I think that the copper frames that have been built would be a better option. As to mass being the answer that kind of falls into the some is good more is better too much is perfect kind of pattern. Reminds me of the often seen lead shot in speaker stands. Sand or the like will actually disapate more energy due to friction between the moving parts and still provide good mass loading. I am sure that you are well pleased with your work but as I said it would not be an approach I would consider. Non metalic frames would be my first choice. Thanks for posting and for your enthusiasm for Acoustats. I think the thrust now needs to be for a diy buildable replacement panel as far too many Acoustats are falling out of use due to failing panels. In the past I have tried to set up at least two different individuals to make panels but no one was willing to go there. There is a market out there. Best regards Moray James.

Just to let members here know i am not the one that rebuilds old Acoustat's my friend Jocelyn does all the work interfaces - frames - panels - soldering of the heads - top and bottom and what ever else he does the way my Acoustat's sound i have complete faith in what he does almost all his new frames are made of Russian wood whe are only three that have all steel frames i had both and i'm very happy with my all steel frames, if i had the room these would be the ones i would have just like my friend Jocelyn.

Acoustat Spectra 6600 Speaker & MrAcoustat | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just to let members here know i am not the one that rebuilds old Acoustat's my friend Jocelyn does all the work interfaces - frames - panels - soldering of the heads - top and bottom and what ever else he does the way my Acoustat's sound i have complete faith in what he does almost all his new frames are made of Russian wood whe are only three that have all steel frames i had both and i'm very happy with my all steel frames, if i had the room these would be the ones i would have just like my friend Jocelyn.

Acoustat Spectra 6600 Speaker & MrAcoustat | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Is that Russian wood a hardwood? I'm eventually (once time & money allow) going to build new custom frames for my Acoustats, and I've been planning on using hardwood, but it would be great to hear what Jocelyn's wood types and results are.

How hard a wood is has less to do with the geography of where it was grown than of the species of tree. A pine from any place is a "softer" wood, than an oak. The slower growth trees like oak, or walnut yield a tighter grain ("harder") wood, faster growth trees like pine, or birch have looser grain, and are softer. The harder the wood, the higher it's resonant frequency - softer, the lower.

How hard a wood is has less to do with the geography of where it was grown than of the species of tree. A pine from any place is a "softer" wood, than an oak. The slower growth trees like oak, or walnut yield a tighter grain ("harder") wood, faster growth trees like pine, or birch have looser grain, and are softer. The harder the wood, the higher it's resonant frequency - softer, the lower.
Yep, I've missed the point: slow grow... the term itself sounded... funny.
Weather in Michigan, for instance, is much softer by my experience.
European part of Russia is still colder - so no oak, beech and the like.
Southern part was populated quite a while ago meaning no real woods left...
and the hardest wood you may get except the birch is larch...
P.S.
If you can get your hands on bog wood or drift wood - it's another story.

Hi Andy, I have just found this place of happiness. I have a pair of Model 3 Acustats that I purchased in 1982 when I retired from the US Navy. I have loved them since the day I turned on my system. Thanks for being here, as I may have a few questions.

Ask away, you've come to the right place. There are definitely some fairly easy and affordable things you can do to upgrade your Acoustats.