My 2:nd ESL-attempt - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2011, 06:01 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
That was fast

Enjoy a well-deserved evening.

Kenneth
Old 14th January 2011, 10:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Your panel looks very good, as do the the test results - what do you use for equalisation?
Old 16th January 2011, 10:16 AM   #13
SM7UYJ is offline SM7UYJ  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The plan is to use a active cross over and add compensation as needed.
I have not started experimenting as I want to mount the panels in their fames first.

If the voulme is very high I can get the film to hit the stators, so I think I'll re do the panel using 1mm + 1.5mm +1mm tape for a total d/s off 3.5mm.

My 1mm tape has a very good glue that sticks well to both stators and Mylar, the glue on my 1.5mm tape is not as good but the tape is much stiffer , so I taught I'll combine them.

/R
Old 17th January 2011, 12:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The stators are now taped with 3.5mm doublesided tape, but I'm not sure how I should segment the diaphragm

The basspanel, without segmentation, is 210 x 1460mm.

Should I run a 10mm vertical strip down the middle resulting in two 100x1460mm segments or should I divide it using horisontal strips spaced say 150 to 400mm apart?

The current testpanel is spaced horisontaly with abt. 400, 500 & 600mm "high" segments.

/R
Old 17th January 2011, 12:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

With a 3.5 mm spacer, I don't think you need any support in the middle. You will, however, need a very high bias voltage and a high turn ratio transformer though.

If I were you I would try it without supports. If it's not very stable, then I will inject silicone dots later.

Wachara C.
Old 17th January 2011, 01:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Wachara,

Thank you for your reply!

I need the spacers for stability as the 1mm sheet metal I use for the stators gets a bit flimsy without (I'm not using any support from the frame other than the mounting slots)

I have tried using silicone dots before but the d/s off the panel got uneven, a problem I have not had with tape strips used after that.

When testing my recent panel (with 3mm d/s) my 3kV EHT and 1:80 transformer did a decent job, so I hope abt. 5kV and 1:150 in the final version will be enough!

/Roger
Old 17th January 2011, 01:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi SM7UYJ,

I see what you mean. Then I would go for the horizontal strips.

Wachara C.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:55 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Trying new spacers!

Not confident that my 3-3.5mm tape would stand for the tension needed in my bass panels and that it would flex to much and cause the film to hit the stators, I started to look for other solutions..

I went to the local hardware store to se what they had in stock sutiable for use as spacers. To my suprise I found that they had perfect 30x20x3 mm L shaped black PVC in 1 and 2m lengths!

Not the sheapest alternative at 3 Euro/m, but alot easier then ordering plastic from a suplyer and having it cut in strips + I get the benefit off the "L"-shape in that it "grips" the edge off the stators and isolates the edges better.

After swearing quite alot in the garage I managed to get them in shape by:

1. Cutting down one end off the "L" (to abt 4-5mm) using my circle saw with guide, PVC placed on the "edge" off a pice off MDF.

2. Using the wise in my small mill as a guide and "sliding the PVC trough I milled down the flange to abt. 1mm, the thicknes off my stotors.

After sanding the edges and cleaning everything off with aceton, it looked like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Glued to the stators using black "boatglue". (used on boats to glue wood, metall etc. - said to glue and cure under water)

/R
Old 21st January 2011, 01:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi SM7UYJ,

That's a nice find! What is this material used for originally?

How will you glue the diaphragm to your spacer? What kind of glue will you use?

Wachara C.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Wachara,

I dont know what the PVC is used for actualy, but I suspect as corner protection, mounting brackets ?
The store had them in white and black PVC and also in anodized aluminum.

I'm not sure about the glue yet, perhaps I'll use thin doublesided tape.
I've done some tests using Tesas super strong thin doublesided tape, but the glue is to thick and causes the film to flex.
Tests with a thin tape from a local car supply shop has gone much better. The 12m film used in the tests tore before I could se any movement.

I think the thin doublesided tape is a good solution as it acts as a "flexible" glue around the charge ring and also makes life a bit easier if I have to take the panel apart to replace diaphragm etc. - and it's fast!

(the glue for the spacers take abt. 12h to cure, so I have to make up for lost time some how!)

/Roger

Last edited by SM7UYJ; 21st January 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!