DIY electrostatic speakers for dummies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2010, 10:35 AM   #1
stera66 is offline stera66  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY electrostatic speakers for dummies

Is there any low tech (with all details and dimensions) building plans-blueprints for building decent ESL?
It would be great help if someone can point me to some web sites, etc.
Thanks
Old 21st March 2010, 11:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera66 View Post
Is there any low tech (with all details and dimensions) building plans-blueprints for building decent ESL?
It would be great help if someone can point me to some web sites, etc.
Thanks
There's some info on my blog page that may be helpful for building stat panels, schematics, sources for materials, etc... without spending a lot of money. However, my "beam splitter" cabinets were so difficult to build, I wouldn't advise anyone who isn't experienced with woodworking to attempt it. There are many simpler frame/cabinet configurations that work well I'm sure-- I'm continually amazed at all the clever ideas and projects that other members have posted on this forum.

I have some ideas and a few sketches lying around for simpler cabinet/frames which I could share with you if you want to PM me.

good luck with your project!

The Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Old 21st March 2010, 11:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's a drawing by Russ at the "Just Real Music" website-- a simple MDF frame with an open-backed box for a 12" dipole woofer-- about as simple as it gets:

http://www.justrealmusic.com/images/...%20drawing.jpg
Old 21st March 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your post, great news for me.
Actually I'm very experienced in woodworking and my question was more about metal grill, step up transformer and foil dimensions.
I need sort of, ESL builds for dummies , or is there some widely used project among forum members,where I can learn more about metal grill and foil.
Something inspired by ESL-57, would work for me, without subwoofer.
Old 21st March 2010, 02:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for your post, great news for me.
Actually I'm very experienced in woodworking and my question was more about metal grill, step up transformer and foil dimensions.
I need sort of, ESL builds for dummies , or is there some widely used project among forum members,where I can learn more about metal grill and foil.
Something inspired by ESL-57, would work for me, without subwoofer.
The el-cheapo tranny and bias supply setup I used works great for hybrid operation with close d/s spacing but I wouldn't recommend that setup for a full range ESL like the Quad 57 you mentioned. I think it would be much easier to build a good sounding hybrid than a good sounding full range.
Old 21st March 2010, 03:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

My mistake, I didn't mean fullrange.
I will use subwoofer, probably DVC.
Old 21st March 2010, 04:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Here in BE and NL we build a lot of wire stators, for various reasons, one being sound (I won't go into that here), another being that perforated steel plate is not that easily/cheaply available compared to places like the US.

If wire stators interest you, there's a number of build reports at the URL below. It's in Dutch so you will need to run it through an online translator to get the English version.

Elektrostaten Projecten

Best,
Kenneth
Old 21st March 2010, 05:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are probably as many opinions as there are builders but I would advise bi-amping your ESL's if possible, using a 24db/octave active crossover and setting the crossover frequency between 250-350 hz in order to mitigate the dipole cancellation of the stat panels. This would require woofers that can play cleanly a couple of octaves above the crossover frequency (1khz) and most DVC subwoofers won't play that high without distortion and overshoot. I think you would be better off mating some good 8" or 10" mid-bass woofers to your stat panels, then augmenting the extreme low end with separate subwoofers if you like. Even crossing the woofers over at 300hz you will still have dipole cancellation, which you will need to compensate with a shelving circuit or a good graphic EQ. If you attempt to crossover lower to use a subwoofer alone, the dipole cancellation would become more problematic (more EQ & more amp power to compensate).
Old 21st March 2010, 05:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

i used plastic grating and aluminium window screen spray painted with enamel for my very first build and they still sound great.if you check my posts you will find a few pictures of them.very cheap and very effective.if your interested in them, i will explain in more detail. jer

here is some:Material for ESL these are in the process of being rebuilt after seven years of abuse.

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 21st March 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 21st March 2010, 05:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are probably as many opinions as there are builders but I would advise bi-amping your ESL's if possible, using a 24db/octave active crossover and setting the crossover frequency between 250-350 hz in order to mitigate the dipole cancellation of the stat panels. This would require woofers that can play cleanly a couple of octaves above the crossover frequency (1khz) and most DVC subwoofers won't play that high without distortion and overshoot. I think you would be better off mating some good 8" or 10" mid-bass woofers to your stat panels, then augmenting the extreme low end with separate subwoofers if you like. Even crossing the woofers over at 300hz you will still have dipole cancellation, which you will need to compensate with a shelving circuit or a good graphic EQ. If you attempt to crossover lower to use a subwoofer alone, the dipole cancellation would become more problematic (more EQ & more amp power to compensate).

Hide this!Advertise here!