Role of ESL stator insulation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks great Wachara C. It was actually your thread describing your headphones that triggered me to start looking into diy CNC again. Thanks for posting the photos.

At the risk of briefly hijacking my own thread, can I ask a few questions?
1) What material did you use to build the frames?
2) What's the x,y,z capacity?
3) If it's not too rude to ask, do you have a sense of what the construction cost turned out to be?

Few

Hi Few,

Please do not feel hesitate to ask me anything about a DIY CNC machine. I really have fun building it.

This CNC machine is actually my second one. Having spending money and tim building my first one with a plan on CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page, I learned a lot. I searched for good parts and built my second one.

1. The frame was made from aluminum. If I were to do it again, I would choose steel structure. I thought it would be good to build something light and rigid. But the fact is being light can very difficult to be rigid.

2. The x is 1200 mm, y is 800 mm, and Z is 300 mm. But the actual working area is 1000x600x200 mm.

3. The total cost of building one is around US$2,500. If you go for a steel structure, the cost would be much less.

The accuracy of machine is about 0.0125mm. Depending on the feed screws you choose to use and the electronic control system, it can go down to 0.0025mm or less.

Wachara C.

Thanks for the info. The price tag is about what I'd feared. I agree that the push toward aluminum over steel that seems to be norm in this game is probably ill considered. The stiffness of steel would be most welcome. The McMaster-Carr price for copper clad board is attractive but I guess I'll have to find a cheaper way to get the holes drilled. $2500 (or even a price somewhat reduced from that starting point) would more than kill any economic advantage to the drilled copper clad board approach. It sure would be fun to build a diy CNC router though... I'd just need to be sure that I'd have a thousand and one other useful projects I could accomplish with it.

Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.