Paul's Lousy 60" Ribbons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes i will post when i'm finished , mine is a 3 way with both high/mid
ribbons .......

Currently waiting to get my testing lab back up , currently my leap/LMS package is down and then the tedious task of testing different diaphragm corrugations. The Prototype so far has been very pleasing ...

bases are finished, baffles complete...

These are crossed at 200hz/12db slope.
The Bookshelfs handle the bottom end.
I tried a foil from .22uf cap and it was a SMIDGE clearer up top, but sounded like a trash bag in the wind when lower sounds were cranked.
There is no significant difference in sound to me between the two types of ribbons that a small adjustment to the EQ could not fix.

Pros to lighter foil were higher treble response and (maybe) some more clarity.
Cons to lighter ribbon are higher x-over point, and like 8x the power consumption.

Pros to 4 piece foil ribbon stuck to packaging tape are SUPER durability and they play lower without audible distortion. Loud too.
Cons are extension into higher range somewhat hampered, and (maybe) less clear, but not enough for me to try to keep .5 um foil in one piece on these things. Those are delicate, to say the least...

I used cement to hold the baffles in place in the stand. There are long screws in the base and in the baffle material to keep things from wiggling apart too easily...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Next I made (very haphazardly and without thought to positioning) cover plates to hide cement...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here is a full photo of finished...

Top...

base...

I am not completely happy with the bases, but it will work for now.
The tops are uneven, this does not bother me. They are after all, hand-made... I am going to cover the backs of these with grille-cloth, wrapped onto frames countersunk into back and held by velcro. I may or may not shield the front slots/exits with a mesh I have on hand..
The lumber used for these speakers was the CHeApESt sTuFf TheY Had at home depot.
I am looking into other means of standing these too...
The motors are designed to be removed and replaced and can be installed anywhere that a 60"slot can be cut or made..

They are wonderful overall and sound more amazing than I had expected them to.

paul

poopydoopynoopy's Ribbon

How do these speakers sound? Do they give you a 3-d image? Are they holographic? What do they sound like? What speakers do/would you compare them to? I know it’s all subjective, but if it’s an honest opinion this will give an idea of what they might sound like.

Re: poopydoopynoopy's Ribbon

R. Jamm said:
How do these speakers sound? Do they give you a 3-d image? Are they holographic? What do they sound like? What speakers do/would you compare them to? I know it’s all subjective, but if it’s an honest opinion this will give an idea of what they might sound like.

they sound better than any 'normal' speaker i've heard

No, they produce sound :p
Actually, if they are the 'right' distance from the wall behind, they do sound like 5.1 almost.

No they are real.
See last answer..

They sound like 5' speakers that give very finite information from recordings that I had not heard through anything else..

hope that helps!

paul

I just made a pair of floor to ceiling ribbons, 80".
I am going to put a sock over these I think.
This wedge design makes them less intrusive, still playing with tensioners.
:)

Attachments

• IMG_0012_1.jpg
    IMG_0012_1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0013_1.jpg
    IMG_0013_1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Yes i will post when i'm finished , mine is a 3 way with both high/mid
ribbons .......

Currently waiting to get my testing lab back up , currently my leap/LMS package is down and then the tedious task of testing different diaphragm corrugations. The Prototype so far has been very pleasing ...

You can try ARTA. It is free. I found the ARTA step program very useful to measure distortions.

I wonder what are the resonance frequencies of the two cavities in the back?

Around 1Khz and 8 Khz and quite large about 10 dB.
I build the thing and quit with the design because of the large peaks.
De design is perfect for the magnetic pad but not for the acoustics.
Build an normal ribbon later with square iron bars and had only 2dB less output but no peaks at all.
Maybe I can find the measurements then I will post them here.

Rob

Build an normal ribbon later with square iron bars and had only 2dB less output but no peaks at all.

Rob

I am looking forward for the measurements. I wonder what is the high frequency extension of a long line array. Thanks.

Bruno

Rob
Pictures Please :)

Mine are very holographic ..

I have success with cheap thin aluminum foil- 1 piece by itself no multi pass with tape anymore-and wire wound 50w resistors to get the impedance I need FYI . .

Yes the same i use direct foil with 150 watt worth of wire wound vishay resistors @1.2ohm /heat sinked. I'm using a high gradefoil with memory, ( cheap foil had too much hash and no memory) with mylar tape backing for damping. Sound is excellent , efficiency low and is my major concern for ding an revamped model.

I wonder what are the resonance frequencies of the two cavities in the back?

What 2 cavities .. i cannot see...... :)

You can try ARTA. It is free. I found the ARTA step program very useful to measure distortions.

I have seen it mentioned a bit around here, my issue is with leap , my key stopped working and Linear -x wants 1200 to update:rolleyes::( and have it opened, LMS still functions.

Whats a usefull sims software for importing LMS info ..?

I am looking forward for the measurements. I wonder what is the high frequency extension of a long line array. Thanks.

Bruno

Mine is 242 MM , it has very good top end , I will be dragging it outside for updated measurements, before pulling it down...

regards,

Attachments

• Hi-Fi system 2010 022.jpg
    Hi-Fi system 2010 022.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Hi-Fi system 2010 029.jpg
    Hi-Fi system 2010 029.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Hi-Fi system 2010 046.jpg
    Hi-Fi system 2010 046.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.